Scored a HP XE793

edited August 2015 in Hardware
A friend gave me her old HP XE793. It has a celeron CPU at 700MHz, 64MB RAM, 120GB maxtor hard drive. I'm planning to toss in a P3 CPU, more memory and install Linux on it. I haven't powered it up yet and since it has a 120GB drive I highly doubt this thing has WinME like the sticker on the front indicates.

Comments

• Have you powered it up yet? It's possible the original hard disk failed, and was simply a replacement. I'm pretty sure Win ME could handle 120GB in a single partition.

I'd look at upgrading the RAM. The specs remind me a little of my ThinkPad A20M - has a Celeron of similar vintage but with 320MB RAM installed.
  • Not yet, might do it this week end. I found a P3 CPU in my collection I might toss in.
  • Still haven't gotten around to powering up this machine. Might do it after dinner.
  • Finally hooked it up and just as I thought it has Windows XP. It's loaded with so much crap that it takes 10minutes to completely load. Took 15 minutes to load the driver for my Logitech K400r wireless keyboard.

The hardware
    Intel Celeron 700MHz
    512MB ram
    Intel 82810 graphics
    DVD-ROM
    Intel 82801AA BUS Master
    Lucent WinModem
    Linksys NC100 nic
    Two serial and one Parallel
    AC'97 Codec Intel 82801AA
  • I think im going to install Windows NT 3.51 on this system.
  • This saturday I'm going to strip it down, clean it and add some memory and see if I have a faster CPU then toss Linux on it to be used as a home server replacement.
  • IMO, PIII is fast enough to run Windows XP SP3 (mine is 733 MHz) and took only 30 seconds to boot for me. May you just sufficient in RAM so memory swapping is get too often.
  • Don't want XP as a server host let alone XP isn't supported for security updates.
  • P3s (Coppermine and higher, that is) run Windows 7 well with at least a half gig of RAM and a beefy GPU.
  • Started to look at my parts bin and all I have is PC133 and the system has PC100. I wonder if it will work, it should work but I have ran into systems in the past that didn't like it. The manual even says PC66 and PC100 but this was probably written before PC133 was available. Now I wonder if I have a P3 1GHz CPU laying around.