Installing OS/2 Warp 4.52

edited August 2015 in Software
This evening I picked up one my laptops from the collection and decided to install OS/2.

It's an IBM ThinkPad 380ED I think from around 1997, with a Pentium 166MMX, 80MB RAM, 4.8GB HDD, CD-ROM, and TFT screen.

I downloaded (IBM OS2 Warp 4.52 (4.52.14.089_W4) from WinWorld and used the disk images onto real floppies. The initial boot disk and the subsequent Disk 1 were okay, but as soon as it requests for Disk 2 the floppy drive goes crazy and won't stop until I hit the power switch. It's as though it's attempting to find Disk 2 before even having a chance to eject Disk 1. I've tried a couple of times, and same effect.

Comments

• There was an earlier thread reporting a problem with that one: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=7199

It might be a beta, or corrupt or something. Try the other one. I'll add a note about that.

Aren't all of the 4.5 versions their server version? I thought the last version intended for desktops was 4.0 (plus a boatload of updates that I think bring it up to 4.5 internally)

Can anyone shed more light on exactly where these 4.5 versions came from?
  • Yes something is amiss, not sure exactly what. I don't see the error message as shown in the other thread though, just the blue screen with the IBM logo requesting for Disk 2 which is really the third disk. I'm currently downloading the 086 copy and see if there's any difference.

I'm certain 4.52 was for client desktops as well.
  • OS/2 Warp 4.52 does have a client version. As far as I know, 089 is corrupted. Use the 086 copy, I've tried that before and it worked. From how I see it, 4.5 is basically version 4 with all of the updates applied to it.
  • Yes that version certainly did the trick. During the System Configuration stage in setup, the exact laptop model was available to choose from so it should work well on it.