Windows 10 Legacy Icons

edited August 2015 in Software
Microsoft's graphic designers were busy creating icons for legacy drives that most people would generally have no use for and be forgotten by now. In a way, I would have expected them to have dropped support on floppies after Win 7 even though there's nothing really stopping a modern PC having one.

g_D8c_D39.png

Comments

• there's nothing really stopping a modern PC having one.

A USB floppy drive maybe... but most modern motherboards have long dropped support for floppy drives and even IDE drives for that matter.
  • Tape is still not legacy. A lot of places use it for archival backup.

Also, Zip and Jaz should still work if you have a USB or an IDE bus.

3.5 floppies are on a lot of older but still supported chipsets, which can run 10. 5.25 might be trickier to get working.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    A USB floppy drive maybe... but most modern motherboards have long dropped support for floppy drives and even IDE drives for that matter.
    Only because the cheap Chinese bastards want to save a few cents. There is no good reason for Microsoft to remove the ability to use certain hardware. They don't need to make political statements or to sell new hardware like Apple. So when Microsoft removes hardware support, they are only doing it to be dicks. And even then, the last time I checked anyway, it was still possible for third parties to create custom Windows device drivers.

The kids can cry themselves a river because they think bla, bla, bla, technology is "ooooold" because the TV told them it was so. There are people who NEED to use floppies, RS232 serial, parallel, or anything without blue eye-fucking LEDs. These needs aren't magically going away because in the real world equipment is supposed to last for more than six months.
  • Parallel and RS-232 serial isn't going anywhere. Heck Firewire us still used heavily with TV and Audio equipment because it's a standard for the High-Definition Audio-Video Network Alliance. People love USB for some reason but honestly I hate it for my homebrew hardware for the reason it costs too much and requires extra coding.
  • A lot of new motherboards still have serial controllers (they're too useful for remote access still), just no connectors, only the headers, possibly the case for parallel too, but I haven't' checked. As for Removing stuff, I don't see MS removing support for certain kinds of hardware any time soon, considering Windows' biggest strength IMO is the backwards compatibility it has (Try running stuff compiled in the early 90s natively on a standard kernel on many other OSs)
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    and requires extra coding.
    This is the part that most people don't see. USB stacks are "non trivial". It is a complicated protocol with much overhead. A simple device like a keyboard suddenly becomes 100 times more complicated when USB is involved.

At least with serial and parallel, you can still add PCI cards to get proper support. Hardware compatible floppy controllers, however, require some odd DMA stuff that PCI won't do.
  • Some legacy ports I do like having available... PS/2 (sometimes a USB keyboard just won't cut it), and RS232 because a lot of switches, routers, etc still use it. Although a simple USB adapter can provide that.

Floppies though? There is no good use for a floppy disk this day and age for the average consumer... they were terrible when they were the current standard and they're terrible now. Low capacity, horrible I/O performance, notorious unreliability... It is most definitely, and in every sense of the word, obsolete and for good reason. It's one legacy technology I will never miss.

Some industrial machines still use floppies and some other fringe cases, but those are the exceptions and not the rule. For the average consumer, there is absolutely no need to have a floppy controller on their motherboard and if it saves a few cents, so much the better... they were never going to use it anyway.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    Some industrial machines still use floppies and some other fringe cases, but those are the exceptions and not the rule. For the average consumer, there is absolutely no need to have a floppy controller on their motherboard and if it saves a few cents, so much the better... they were never going to use it anyway.

This is where these come in:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floppy_di ... e_emulator