Guide to the image file formats on this site:

edited June 2019 in Software
A current, more detailed document on this topic is now posted in the news/announcements: https://forum.winworldpc.com/discussion/10444/winworld-archive-format-information

This is a brief guide to the disk image file formats found on WinWorld.
Note that you can convert between many of these formats with the HxC disk tool

.IMG AND .IMA: - "raw" floppy disk image files.

- Use WinImage or similar to extract files or write to disk.

- You may use these with emulators. Point your emulator's emulated floppy to the file.

- Some DOS 1.x disks and "booters" will not open in WinImage.[/list]

- Some Macintosh "IMG" files are actually DiskCopy images. Some tools can't handle those.

- WinImage can write Macintosh 1.44mb images to disk, but not 400/800k, or extact files.

.IMD - ImageDisk disk images.

- To write these, use ImageDisk.

- These are used for PC (or similar) disk formats that WinImage can not handle.

.TD0 - Teledisk disk images.

- To write these, use the Teledisk program.

- Teledisk is similar to ImageDisk, and ImageDisk includes a tool to convert TD0 to IMD.

.CP2 - Copy II PC + "Snatchit" disk images.

- To write them, use Central Point Copy II PC with the Snatchit tool that enables loading and saving CP2 images.

- These are used for copy protected IBM PC software.

- No special hardware is needed.

.TC - Transcopy disk images.

- These are used for copy protected IBM PC software, and saves more detail than CP2.

- To write these, you must have a Central Point Deluxe Option Board and the Transcopy software.

- Note: by default trancopy uses the IMG exension

*.raw - Kryoflux stream files.

- These are used for copy protected software, and disks who's format is unknown or unusual.

- To write stream files, you must have a KryoFlux card.

.SCP - Supercard Pro disk images.

- These are used for copy protected software, and disks who's format is unknown or unusual.

- To write SCP images, you must have a SuperCard Pro card.

.DSK - Apple II or Macintosh raw disk images.

- Some PC raw disk images may ocasionally have a ".DSK" extension.

.IMZ - Compressed WinImage disk images.

- You can open them and use these with WinImage.

- Most emulators do NOT support IMZ files.

- Other raw disk writing utilities do not support IMZ files.

- You can open IMZ files with a ZIP utility and extract the actual uncompressed image.

.ISO or .BIN/.CUE - standard CD-ROM images.

- Write these with ImgBurn, or a similar CD burning tool.

- You may use these with emulators. Point your emulator's emulated CD to the file.

- .BIN archives contain audio tracks.

.SIT or .HQX - Classic Macintosh file archives.

- To use these, you must import them in to a classic Mac environment.

- To insert these in to a disk or hard drive image for an emulator, use HFVExplorer.

- Once on an appropriate Macintosh, use Stuffit Expander to extract.

Comments

• Nice work.

I recommend to add the following.

.VFD --> Virtual Floppy Disk File.
    .PSI --> PCE Sector Image for PCE IBM PC 5150 Emulator
    .ANA --> Disk Image file for ANADISK utility. (This is not so useful.)
    .PDI --> Pinnacle Instant Copy Disk Image.
  • I think VFD is effectively the same as IMA.

Personally, I prefer to use the extensions .160, .180, .320, .360, .720, .12 and .144 for raw disk images of the same type as .IMA because it shows at a glance what type of raw disk image they are.
  • Do we have any CDs in PDI format here?

I'm not aware that anything here other than Visi On that has Anadisk dumps, and those dumps aren't actually needed any more.

What tool creates disk images with the VFD extension anyway?

PSI is certainly a good "least common denominator" for copy protected media.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    What tool creates disk images with the VFD extension anyway?

WinImage does, though not by default. From my experience over the years, I think I had only used VFD with Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 & 2007. I'm sure it was just the same as an IMA image.

What about Toast files on the Mac? Reading elsewhere seems to imply there are just ISO files but wasn't sure if there are issues in doing so.
  • If I recall correctly, Toast can use ISO files, but it might also have its own format. Either way there shouldn't be any Toast non-iso files on winworld, if there are, they need to be converted. Still haven't had a chance to derp through all the mac stuff, so if you see any, please let us know.