THERE'S A METHOD TO INSTALL XP SOFTWARE ON WINDOWS 2000!!

edited November 2015 in Software
Hi everybody,

You CAN use Windows 2000 as a FULLY-FLEDGED MODERN OS.

Use the best version of Windows ever developed instead of the clumsy, distasteful bloatware we've seen ever since.

Right now I'm using the LATEST version of Firefox 42 on Windows 2000!!! It is glorious.

Follow the method in the YouTube video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_Fj-KhLoH8

I recommend RESTARTING your system after each and every Service Pack and Patch you install.

You're welcome :)

Comments

• I agree that this is a wonderful hack. But you can't say it turns 2000 into a modern and supported OS since it only ports XP apps and developers are cutting XP support, Wireshark, Blender, Paint.NET, And maybe Filezilla have cut XP support so you have to use older versions for this. Google is dropping XP support too, What's wrong with XP with Inexperience Patcher? It looks and works just like 2000.

Here's a direct link to the patches needed for those who can't access the video.
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bw_nt4aAJIoPOUZpTFJHckdPMVE&tid=0Bw_nt4aAJIoPWWNBay13dTlXOWs#list
  • And you made a completely new thread why again?
  • And you made a completely new thread why again?

Because I thought it an important enough contribution to warrant one.
  • I agree that this is a wonderful hack. But you can't say it turns 2000 into a modern and supported OS since it only ports XP apps and developers are cutting XP support, Wireshark, Blender, Paint.NET, And maybe Filezilla have cut XP support so you have to use older versions for this. Google is dropping XP support too, What's wrong with XP with Inexperience Patcher? It looks and works just like 2000.

Here's a direct link to the patches needed for those who can't access the video.
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bw_nt4aAJIoPOUZpTFJHckdPMVE&tid=0Bw_nt4aAJIoPWWNBay13dTlXOWs#list

Hi KCompRoom2000,

That's a very good point, XP support is being cut for a lot of software. Nonethless, there's a world of difference between what is officially supported for 2000 and what is officially supported for XP. Being able to use software available for XP is HUGE step up.

I suppose for me the difference is that you can obtain Win2K as abandonware, while XP is still ethically off-limits.

Also W2K is 'out of the box' how I like it, which then can then be subsequently patched for compatibility. While XP you is out-of-the-box tacky bloatware.

:)
  • Interesting software, I'll check this later.
    And you made a completely new thread why again?

At least don't put the thread topic name in all caps then. It makes you sound like an immature kid.
  • Well it's not quite modern software, but it's a start. Frankly I like my Windows 2000 computer, although I don't use it as a day to day computer. I use it to keep my finances in check and as a make shift media center/gaming center. It also seems risky to me to install the unofficial service packs due to the fact of my important documents. But can't you get the most out of your system with out these modern programs?
    This could of been continued in the current thread that you all ready made...
  • What about hardware compatibility? Can a user force XP drivers to work in Win2k or would said user still be stuck using legacy hardware?
  • I would assume so, since one can drag the installer into the cmd prompt thing and make the installer think that it is Windows XP.. But I don't know if that would work or not...
  • If it's XP kernel hack to work under Win2k it should work. I dunno, I might try this since I have Win2k server installed on a junk system when I was tinkering around with using a dial-up modem as a peer to peer with out a PTN.
  • garirry wrote:
    Interesting software, I'll check this later.

At least don't put the thread topic name in all caps then. It makes you sound like an immature kid.

Okay, apologies if that's annoying, perhaps that was a bit too rash of me.

I can be quite impulsive... :)
  • birdy wrote:
    Well it's not quite modern software, but it's a start. Frankly I like my Windows 2000 computer, although I don't use it as a day to day computer. I use it to keep my finances in check and as a make shift media center/gaming center. It also seems risky to me to install the unofficial service packs due to the fact of my important documents. But can't you get the most out of your system with out these modern programs?

Sure, older OSes can be surprisingly usable without compatibility with contemporary applications.

That said, the major, critical exception for me is in regards to internet browsers and plugins. Try and open up the modern net on IE 6 and it's completely useless. This method allows you to have a completely up-to-date browser with accompanying plugins.

The unofficial service packs seem to functional flawlessly from what I can tell. Yes, I will concede security concerns are quite delicate. I wouldn't put anything to sensitive (e.g. confidential business documents) on a Win2K install.
  • birdy wrote:
    Well it's not quite modern software, but it's a start. Frankly I like my Windows 2000 computer, although I don't use it as a day to day computer. I use it to keep my finances in check and as a make shift media center/gaming center. It also seems risky to me to install the unofficial service packs due to the fact of my important documents. But can't you get the most out of your system with out these modern programs?

Sure, older OSes can be surprisingly usable without compatibility with contemporary applications.

That said, the major, critical exception for me is in regards to internet browsers and plugins. Try and open up the modern net on IE 6 and it's completely useless. This method allows you to have a completely up-to-date browser with accompanying plugins.

The unofficial service packs seem to functional flawlessly from what I can tell. Yes, I will concede security concerns are quite delicate. I wouldn't put anything to sensitive (e.g. confidential business documents) on a Win2K install.

Surprisingly there's still someone that modify win2k kernel to runs many modern applications, and despite installation is frustating (you must have IE6 security update and cumulative updates, that you must unpack to somewhere and install manually before everything works). And much to say, the compability is close as Windows XP 8) , despite have some memory issues on some application (for example, LibreOffice 5 will crash if you working harder, I just edit the installer with MS Orca tools to remove OS check bypass)...
  • thiekus wrote:
    birdy wrote:

Surprisingly there's still someone that modify win2k kernel to runs many modern applications, and despite installation is frustating (you must have IE6 security update and cumulative updates, that you must unpack to somewhere and install manually before everything works). And much to say, the compability is close as Windows XP 8) , despite have some memory issues on some application (for example, LibreOffice 5 will crash if you working harder, I just edit the installer with MS Orca tools to remove OS check bypass)...

Yes, blackwingcat's work is very interesting. A shame there's no English translation. Surely there's got to be some Japanese-speaking computer geek out there who would be up for translating an English-language option for this page.
  • Yes, blackwingcat's work is very interesting. A shame there's no English translation. Surely there's got to be some Japanese-speaking computer geek out there who would be up for translating an English-language option for this page.
    Ever heard of Google Translate? It doesn't work like a charm, but you can at least understand what's written.
    FfzbYf9.png
  • garirry wrote:
    Yes, blackwingcat's work is very interesting. A shame there's no English translation. Surely there's got to be some Japanese-speaking computer geek out there who would be up for translating an English-language option for this page.
    Ever heard of Google Translate? It doesn't work like a charm, but you can at least understand what's written.
    FfzbYf9.png

You know what? It didn't even occur to me ;)