Dell Latitude c610 refusing to boot from windows 10 x86 DVD

edited December 2015 in Software
:arrow: I've seen others do this, and I've verified that the laptop has a DVD-ROM drive. The drive seems to show some activity when booted off of, but it fails and the computer boots into Windows XP (which is what's on the harddrive). Windows XP does not recognize the dvd rom drive and instead treats it like a cd drive (because it can only read and write cds). I need that old laptop because i want something that can rip movies off some old dvd's i have.

:!: the DVD was tested in multiple computers (none of them were mine :lol: ), and they seem to recognize and read from it.

:?: Any help? (The poll is only if you're in a hurry)

Comments

• Did you configure the BIOS to boot from the drive?

If that doesn't work, there may be a SETUP executable stored on the root directory of the dvd.
  • First off, after reading the specs for this laptop, this is far too old to run Windows 10. A Pentium III isn't going to cut it. Secondly, unless yours was upgraded in the factory or aftermarket, it came stock with a CD-ROM / RW. Lastly, I would suggest trying to boot from a thumbdrive. Grab a Win 10 ISO and use Micosoft's DVD/USB Downloader tool to "burn" the ISO onto a USB drive.
  • Icon wrote:
    Lastly, I would suggest trying to boot from a thumbdrive. Grab a Win 10 ISO and use Micosoft's DVD/USB Downloader tool to "burn" the ISO onto a USB drive.
    I'm curious to see what would happen if Win10 ran on a Pentium III, Granted it will run slow, but I wonder if it will even function
  • Just get a mac...
  • Did you configure the BIOS to boot from the drive?

If that doesn't work, there may be a SETUP executable stored on the root directory of the dvd.

Windows XP thinks its a CD-ROM drive, and refuses to read the dvd.
  • I have a mac, but it has no dvd drive!
  • Icon wrote:
    First off, after reading the specs for this laptop, this is far too old to run Windows 10. A Pentium III isn't going to cut it. Secondly, unless yours was upgraded in the factory or aftermarket, it came stock with a CD-ROM / RW. Lastly, I would suggest trying to boot from a thumbdrive. Grab a Win 10 ISO and use Micosoft's DVD/USB Downloader tool to "burn" the ISO onto a USB drive.

It was upgraded to a DVD-ROM drive. And there is no USB Boot option in the BIOS.
  • Icon wrote:
    Lastly, I would suggest trying to boot from a thumbdrive. Grab a Win 10 ISO and use Micosoft's DVD/USB Downloader tool to "burn" the ISO onto a USB drive.
    I'm curious to see what would happen if Win10 ran on a Pentium III, Granted it will run slow, but I wonder if it will even function

It should run, as long as the pentium iii has PAE.
  • Here are the full specs:

pentium 3 - 1.2ghz

512mb ram (just enough)

40.0 gb harddisk

1024x768 TFT LCD (the minimum is 800x600)
  • id10t wrote:
    Just get a mac...

i have a mac, but it has no dvd drive
  • Have you tried using an EXTERNAL DVD drive? They start at $14.99 and are USB so they should come with their own firmware.
  • My guess is that you could put Windows 7 on it, and maybe it can recognise the drive as a DVD one from there, or a lightweight Linux distro judging from the specs of it (like Puppy Linux for instance).
  • edited November 2015
    Have you tried using an EXTERNAL DVD drive? They start at $14.99 and are USB so they should come with their own firmware.

good idea. But i'm not interested in taking the time to research external dvd drives. Also i forgot to mention this, but this is the only computer I have that has a floppy drive module that is hot swappeable with the dvd drive. I would also like to get some stuff off some old floppy disks (I might even upload some of it to the WinWorld Library).

Keep in mind that the floppy drive uses a proprietary connector that only works with the DELL LATITUDE C Series (c600, c610, c800, c810, etc.)
  • Bry89 wrote:
    My guess is that you could put Windows 7 on it, and maybe it can recognise the drive as a DVD one from there, or a lightweight Linux distro judging from the specs of it (like Puppy Linux for instance).

Will try that... it might be able to boot off the windows 7 dvd.

ReactOS isn't a bad idea either.
  • Have you tried using an EXTERNAL DVD drive? They start at $14.99 and are USB so they should come with their own firmware.

good idea. But i'm not interested in taking the time to research external dvd drives. Also i forgot to mention this, but this is the only computer I have that has a floppy drive module that is hot swappeable with the dvd drive. I would also like to get some stuff off some old floppy disks (I might even upload some of it to the WinWorld Library because it's so old).

Keep in mind that the floppy drive uses a proprietary connector that only works with the DELL LATITUDE C Series (c600, c610, c800, c810, etc.)

good idea. But i'm not interested in taking the time to research external dvd drives. Also i forgot to mention this, but this is the only computer I have that has a floppy drive module that is hot swappeable with the dvd drive. I would also like to get some stuff off some old floppy disks (I might even upload some of it to the WinWorld Library because it's so old).

Also forgot to mention that Windows XP refuses to read from the floppy too.
  • I have an idea for you:
    You could use Plop. Read this article to get more information. Once Plop is burned on to a CD / floppy it will allow you to boot the usb with out the BIOS. This will hopefully work for your system. Also ReactOS is a slow moving project. I think you will have a better luck with using WineHq in linux than ReactOS...
  • Don't try Windows 10, with 512MB of RAM, it wouldn't even run. Same with 8 or 7 or Vista. Try installing a new copy of XP, it's not that old so you could still run a handful of programs on there. Also try using an external drive.
    id10t wrote:
    Just get a mac...
    Wow, even as an Apple fan it pisses me off when people say this. Shut up, id10t. Literally.
  • Or how about this: the Pentium iii isn't supported by RTM 8. Not only that, but 10 uses even more instructions the p3 doesn't have, in addition to the Nx. So nothing above 8 Cp on that laptop.
    If you were you were using a Pentium M, you could pop a Dothan in there and maybe get 8 or 10 running, but it would be unbearably slow. (I've tried)
    On top of that, your device originally comes with a CDRom drive, which can't read DVDs and is likely why your Bios doesn't support DVDs, and why you can't boot them. Your graphics is horrible, so I doubt it'll handle any composting, which is used in 8+. And, the max ram you can put in there is a gig. Now if you did put a DVD drive in there, update the bios as a newer version may have DVD support. But that still won't fix the fact your CPU isn't supported.

I'm sorry, but that thing is far too old to even run 7. And I thought my d600 was bad.
    Says the one who proudly uses a CRT.
  • id10t wrote:
    Just get a mac...

That is literally, one of the most retarded things I heard. It is not like people a millionaires that can buy a new computer whenever they want to. And how does that suggestion AT ALL contribute to the OP's question? It doesn't.

As for the OP's question: Yeah the laptop would be to old for 8.1 and 10, but it likely that there is a patch to get Windows 8.1 installed on older computers.
  • Or how about this: the Pentium iii isn't supported by RTM 8. Not only that, but 10 uses even more instructions the p3 doesn't have, in addition to the Nx. So nothing above 8 Cp on that laptop.

I'm sorry, but that thing is far too old to even run 7.
    Actually why don't you slap a Linux OS on it.. Maybe Debian with IceWM will work or Debian with JWM? I still gotta try it my self.
    I too use 2000'ish CRT monitor, which can go to about 1076 x 800.
  • birdy wrote:
    I too use 2000'ish CRT monitor, which can go to about 1076 x 800.

I have a 17" CRT at home that can do a whopping 2048x1024. In my perspective, that is pretty amazing.
  • I have 2 CRTs from 2002-2003, One is a beige Sony, The other is a Black Dell, They both go up to 1280x960 but I prefer to keep them at 1024x768. Anyways.

As many others pointed out, Windows 10 will absolutely not run on that laptop. You'll need at least a Core series or equivalent to run Windows 10, Heck. A Pentium 4 doesn't support Windows 10 (Not even the Prescott models with NX) AFAIK so if it won't work on a Pentium 4 then it will definitely not work on a Pentium III.

XP will work just fine for DVD ripping if you can find a compatible ripping program. I think old Nero versions have one but I'm not 100% sure.
    If you were you were using a Pentium M, you could pop a Dothan in there and maybe get 8 or 10 running, but it would be unbearably slow. (I've tried)
    Only if it's a 7x0 series model. The 7x5 Pentium Ms lack NX-bit so Windows 8-10 won't work without kernel hacks on those.
  • birdy wrote:
    I have an idea for you:
    You could use Plop. Read this article to get more information. Once Plop is burned on to a CD / floppy it will allow you to boot the usb with out the BIOS. This will hopefully work for your system. Also ReactOS is a slow moving project. I think you will have a better luck with using WineHq in linux than ReactOS...

will try that.
    On top of that, your device originally comes with a CDRom drive, which can't read DVDs and is likely why your Bios doesn't support DVDs, and why you can't boot them. Your graphics is horrible, so I doubt it'll handle any composting, which is used in 8+. And, the max ram you can put in there is a gig. Now if you did put a DVD drive in there, update the bios as a newer version may have DVD support. But that still won't fix the fact your CPU isn't supported.

I'm sorry, but that thing is far too old to even run 7. And I thought my d600 was bad.

I've installed bios revision A16, and it seems to support dvds. The boot options say HDD, DVD drive, and Diskette drive (not installed).

So it should support booting off dvds.
  • dosbox wrote:
    id10t wrote:
    Just get a mac...

That is literally, one of the most retarded things I heard. It is not like people a millionaires that can buy a new computer whenever they want to. And how does that suggestion AT ALL contribute to the OP's question? It doesn't.

As for the OP's question: Yeah the laptop would be to old for 8.1 and 10, but it likely that there is a patch to get Windows 8.1 installed on older computers.

So Windows 7 is my best option, or windows 8 if i can get the patch... Cool!
  • I have 2 CRTs from 2002-2003, One is a beige Sony, The other is a Black Dell, They both go up to 1280x960 but I prefer to keep them at 1024x768. Anyways.

As many others pointed out, Windows 10 will absolutely not run on that laptop. You'll need at least a Core series or equivalent to run Windows 10, Heck. A Pentium 4 doesn't support Windows 10 (Not even the Prescott models with NX) AFAIK so if it won't work on a Pentium 4 then it will definitely not work on a Pentium III.

XP will work just fine for DVD ripping if you can find a compatible ripping program. I think old Nero versions have one but I'm not 100% sure.
    Only if it's a 7x0 series model. The 7x5 Pentium Ms lack NX-bit so Windows 8-10 won't work without kernel hacks on those.

The reason I'm updating it is because windows xp is insecure. My best option is to update to 7 (because it doesn't require the NX-bit.)
  • You're that scared? Unless you love clicking those stupid ads on webpages, downloading random junk, or hosting something there's like little to no chance of your computer getting hacked or a virus. Even on Xp or some legacy OS.
    Hell, I even know someone who ran a networked computer for 3 years without antivirus and never got anything. (He took it to me when it started getting slow. Virus scanned it, clean. Only reason it was slow was because the CPU was slowing itself due to overheating.)
    Seriously. All you need is a decent AV and noscript and you're golden. Unless you need support for super modern programs, then yeah upgrade. But most programs work on Xp anyways.
  • Personally, I hate it when people use security as a blanket reason for criticizing older software. Yes, staying up to date is a piece of the security equation, but it is not the entire thing by a longshot.

Take a look at whatever "up to date" software you are using right now. Come back a year from now and see how many security vulnerabilities have been found. Realize that these vulnerabilities usually don't just magically appear - they are in your up-to-date software RIGHT NOW, and you should assume the bad guys already know about them.
  • XP imo is still good enough to run a wide variety of things and it will run the fastest with your computer so I would definitely recommend staying with XP