Dell Latitude c610 refusing to boot from windows 10 x86 DVD

2»

Comments

• You're that scared? Unless you love clicking those stupid ads on webpages, downloading random junk, or hosting something there's like little to no chance of your computer getting hacked or a virus. Even on Xp or some legacy OS.
    Hell, I even know someone who ran a networked computer for 3 years without antivirus and never got anything. (He took it to me when it started getting slow. Virus scanned it, clean. Only reason it was slow was because the CPU was slowing itself due to overheating.)
    Seriously. All you need is a decent AV and noscript and you're golden. Unless you need support for super modern programs, then yeah upgrade. But most programs work on Xp anyways.
    On legacy OS'S. Yes. But often because the virus isn't compaterble with win9x.
    (Spits out an "Requires an later version of windows "error)
  • Some One wrote:
    Personally, I hate it when people use security as a blanket reason for criticizing older software. Yes, staying up to date is a piece of the security equation, but it is not the entire thing by a longshot.

Take a look at whatever "up to date" software you are using right now. Come back a year from now and see how many security vulnerabilities have been found. Realize that these vulnerabilities usually don't just magically appear - they are in your up-to-date software RIGHT NOW, and you should assume the bad guys already know about them.
    I agree, and some NEW loopholes come in the NEW features in NEW os's.
    Better stick with something you trust.
    -Po Lu
  • I would like to run office 2013 on it (namely, the free version of onenote) and would also like to modernize it.

Why? It has a virus on it already, and I don't own any new copies of XP... only Windows 7 (already used on some VM I have), Windows 8, and a Windows 10 Dvd with no product key.

:?: Who made me a Purple River Swimmer? I don't swim in rivers, and purple is not my favorite color.

Example: NithNugget17's Profile
  • You're that scared? Unless you love clicking those stupid ads on webpages, downloading random junk, or hosting something there's like little to no chance of your computer getting hacked or a virus. Even on Xp or some legacy OS.

That is the most RETARDED answer I have ever seen.
  • Nunuchu42 wrote:
    XP imo is still good enough to run a wide variety of things and it will run the fastest with your computer so I would definitely recommend staying with XP

True, but times change. A laptop that is new now will become "obsolete" after less than a year.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    Personally, I hate it when people use security as a blanket reason for criticizing older software. Yes, staying up to date is a piece of the security equation, but it is not the entire thing by a longshot.

Take a look at whatever "up to date" software you are using right now. Come back a year from now and see how many security vulnerabilities have been found. Realize that these vulnerabilities usually don't just magically appear - they are in your up-to-date software RIGHT NOW, and you should assume the bad guys already know about them.

Yeah....but XP is unsupported. I could use it, but there are other problems (viruses!) on that machine, and i can only connect it to my "super modern" network if there is Windows 7 or later on it. (For some reason, XP and 2000 (on a VM) refuse to connect to my network, and a clean install is out of the question because I don't own any copies of XP, and the one that's on the machine is an OEM copy.)
  • Or how about this: the Pentium iii isn't supported by RTM 8. Not only that, but 10 uses even more instructions the p3 doesn't have, in addition to the Nx. So nothing above 8 Cp on that laptop.
    If you were you were using a Pentium M, you could pop a Dothan in there and maybe get 8 or 10 running, but it would be unbearably slow. (I've tried)
    On top of that, your device originally comes with a CDRom drive, which can't read DVDs and is likely why your Bios doesn't support DVDs, and why you can't boot them. Your graphics is horrible, so I doubt it'll handle any composting, which is used in 8+. And, the max ram you can put in there is a gig. Now if you did put a DVD drive in there, update the bios as a newer version may have DVD support. But that still won't fix the fact your CPU isn't supported.

I'm sorry, but that thing is far too old to even run 7. And I thought my d600 was bad.
    Says the one who proudly uses a CRT.

I've installed bios revision A16, and it seems to support dvds. The boot options say HDD, DVD drive, and Diskette drive (not installed).

So it should support booting off dvds.

:idea: Let me add that I've seen others do the Win7 update on these machines (but on a c810, whereas mine is a c610.)

:!: This pc isn't my only computer, as I also own two MacBooks (One is an Air, the other a Pro), so not all hope is lost if i cannot update it to windows 7.
  • Or how about this: the Pentium iii isn't supported by RTM 8. Not only that, but 10 uses even more instructions the p3 doesn't have, in addition to the Nx. So nothing above 8 Cp on that laptop.
    If you were you were using a Pentium M, you could pop a Dothan in there and maybe get 8 or 10 running, but it would be unbearably slow. (I've tried)
    On top of that, your device originally comes with a CDRom drive, which can't read DVDs and is likely why your Bios doesn't support DVDs, and why you can't boot them. Your graphics is horrible, so I doubt it'll handle any composting, which is used in 8+. And, the max ram you can put in there is a gig. Now if you did put a DVD drive in there, update the bios as a newer version may have DVD support. But that still won't fix the fact your CPU isn't supported.

I'm sorry, but that thing is far too old to even run 7. And I thought my d600 was bad.
    Says the one who proudly uses a CRT.

I've installed bios revision A16, and it seems to support dvds. The boot options say HDD, DVD drive, and Diskette drive (not installed).

So it should support booting off dvds.

:idea: Let me add that I've seen others do the Win7 update on these machines (but on a c810, whereas mine is a c610.)

:!: This pc isn't my only computer, as I also own two MacBooks (One is an Air, the other a Pro), so not all hope is lost if i cannot update it to windows 7.
    Then install it on your iMac's. Who uses dell latitude anyway? I use Inspiron.
  • po lu wrote:
    First, he said he has two MacBooks, not an iMac, and second, I hope you realize that "just don't use this computer" or "get a new one" and similar responses do not help OP in any way. Also, this thread is starting to get old, so I suggest that maybe you should bump it a bit better.
  • garirry wrote:
    po lu wrote:
    First, he said he has two MacBooks, not an iMac, and second, I hope you realize that "just don't use this computer" or "get a new one" and similar responses do not help OP in any way. Also, this thread is starting to get old, so I suggest that maybe you should bump it a bit better.
    I know. I was just suggesting.
  • po lu wrote:
    Who uses dell latitude anyway? I use Inspiron.

They're two different lines of computers. In fact, Latitudes are better than Inspirons. Asking this question is like asking "Who uses an HP Elitebook anyway? I use an HP Pavilion."

Also, you bumped this thread.
  • 66659hi wrote:
    po lu wrote:
    Who uses dell latitude anyway? I use Inspiron.

They're two different lines of computers. In fact, Latitudes are better than Inspirons. Asking this question is like asking "Who uses an HP Elitebook anyway? I use an HP Pavilion."

Also, you bumped this thread.
    So what? I thoght it was actiually quite new. (I judge from where the post is. Newer posts are at the top. That is what I think.)
  • po lu wrote:
    So what? I thoght it was actiually quite new. (I judge from where the post is. Newer posts are at the top. That is what I think.)
    The newer posts are below. It begins on the top of the first page, then goes down, then goes to the next page on the top, and goes down again, and so on. The last post of this thread was a month ago, and yes, that's not a lot, but you still need to bump the topic properly in this case, not just saying "just use your iMac!".