Anyway to limit bandwidth on a network?

RNRN
edited July 2004 in Software
Is there anyway to limit bandwidth on a network? Like one computer gets 64kbps, the other gets 256 kbps, other gets 512kbps...

Comments

• Not that I know of..............
  • Higher end routers can, I'm sure. Unless you can limit it @ the OS/Driver level, I kinda doubt it.

-!
  • I dont think YOU CAN SO SOT BOTHER

[Cleaned up by Q]
  • lol... I've always wanted some kind of interent choker, like the CPUkiller thing.
  • Call me a crazy person, but I just did it!!! HAHAHAHA! I installed a program called NetLimiter to limit bandwidth on a computer, and I installed it on my P3 limiting it only to 256kbps download, 128kbps upload. And it doesn't affect the network!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA! Now I can be like Slash whenever I want to!!!
  • Awesome! Where's this at?

Now webmasters can really see what their site is like for all kinds of connections.
  • RNRN
    edited June 2004
    I'm going to upload the program! :)
  • Now I'm gonna set my connection to 24K down, 14.4K up... exactly what Slash has... Now I can see how he really feels!
  • Post about it in RC, and see what your pagegen times are!

I've got to see this.

-Q
  • I'm gonna test my speed right now. Its soooo slow... I like it. :)
  • This is gonna be awesome! Quick, pop it on your server!
  • Alright gonna go to my other computer and upload onto my server right now... In the mean time... GAWK AT MY 24K/14.4K CONNECTION:

untitled.GIF

Ok, well not exactly 24K/14.4K... but close enough.
  • Neat! I can't wait...
  • Limti bandwidth eh?
    so that's what they did at school seems funny how satellite connections go so slow when admin are using them!
  • Haha...your school uses a satellite connection? They're not too fast to start with, are they?
  • Satellite is slow. My school uses a T1 connection. With fucking laptops for each fucking 7th grader...
  • ohhh seems nice
  • T1 isnt all that fast really..... a good school needs at least two T1s.
  • Our schools have super fast INet, I think it's T3, or multiple T1s.
  • I know my school has cable becuase I tested it and it was higher than the 1.5Mbit DSL, I dont know what ISP, I gotta look it up with netstat. I think its the same as me. It rated at like 2.8Mbits.
  • H has Fractional T2 from what Corra said. Or @ least multiple T1s

-Q
  • i don't how fast my skool used but 1500 computers on the net at once has gotta be something big. considering pages loaded instantly.

even at paek times like lunch, break or before school
  • Stupid school... they don't need a T1. More like ISDN. What's the use anyway? We can't do anything on it. Censorship....
  • Yea, school Inet's are usually pre-screwed, H's is pretty open. Corra and I were going to do something, but that'sl probably delayed until NEXT summer.

-Q
  • Our school uses 33K dialup
  • What school is that?

-Q
  • Good point.

BTW my school uses probably a T1, it is sorta fast, and hard to believe, but there are maybe 300 compuetrs in there. And the school server limitsd the speed of every computer to 64kbps (yes lowercase)

It isnt that faster than my home compuetr connection.
  • I ran a test at school not long ago, and it only went at like 500 kbps a second, so I think all the schools around here have DSL or Cable....