The laptop of Evil

edited December 2015 in Hardware
A family friend had me fix her laptop once again. I keep telling her to go buy a cheap HP and ditch this crappy Asus that fights it self as if it has a bad T-Cell issue. Seems like most of the hardware is trying to coexist with the same IRQ settings until the drivers are installed and it works well but installing the drivers is a total different story since you get a quarter way with installing drivers and the system freaks out so a special made copy of Win7 had to be created with all of the hardware drivers slip-streamed. Also god forbid if you dare to use ExpressGate on this thing since some how it eats up the MBR.

Comments

• There's nothing more annoying than having to fix a computer, but reinstalling the OS just fucks it again because of the amount of bloatware and bad drivers built-in. It feels like you're never ever fixing this computer again in your lifetime. My parents' Gateway laptops come with so much bloatware that it take 2+ hours to just install the damn thing (and 4 DVDs by the way) and it becomes slow the moment you boot it for the first time (even if you delete some of the bloat). Annoying how they even exist.
  • No bloatware at all. Had to completely format the drive. The last time I fixed it I tossed on Ubuntu Linux and the owner was fine with it until she needed Office for school, she didn't know there was a opensource alternative already installed so she had a class mate install Windows 8 then soon after updated to Windows 10. Week later she brought it to me. Half of the hardware isn't compatible with Win10 let alone who ever installed it begin with screwed up the partitioning scheme. C: was only 20MB and the rest of the hard drive was split up into many small partitions around 10GB each out of 500GB. Since she really wanted Windows I had no choice to install it. I then told her if I see Express Gate installed let alone a different version of windows on it I will not touch it again.
  • You can install Office 2007 in Linux under Wine. Actually, I use this over LibreOffice to make some reports. I haven't any serious issues yet even has some minor formatting problems, but you must override WINWORD.EXE and POWERPNT.EXE riched20 to use native library through winecfg. I'm using wine 1.6.2 but thereafter upgrading to 1.8 rc4 through Debian's Sid repo, both them works fine! WineHQ info

Here's mine :mrgreen:
    b28ca7453365402.jpg
  • This is a ball of fuck.

IRQ conflicts are absolutely not a thing on modern hardware. I've used Vista drivers fine on 8.1, and probably 10. Windows doesn't do anything out of the ordinary partition wise: A small partition for the bootloader and core system, another small one for EFI if your system has it, and Windows will just make one big partition with the rest. It'd only make small partitions if that's how the technician set it up.
  • Most people that are not computer savvy attend to think there is no other way to run some software unless you run Windows.

I don't know man, The hardware goes crazy as hell when it uses generic drivers. it was a cluster fuck. I tried using Win7 drivers in Win10 but kept running into issues. I don't know why the partitions were like that but thats how it was setup.
  • Do you have enforce the win7 driver to install in win10 by editing some inf sections and run setup with driver signature enforcement disabled? It was happened to me when trying to install Intel GMA 4500 driver but Intel only allow me to install on win7, while generic driver shipped win10 was lack of OpenGL acceleration (any OpenGL'd game will run so slow enough).

Warning: Even I don't have any issues after doing this, I don't take any responsibility for what you have done!