Starting the 486 (continued)

edited June 2016 in Hardware
About a year ago I bought a number of parts to build a 486 ("Starting the 486" was the post from mid-last year)

At the time I would only get BIOS beeps and ended up putting it all aside for a while. As I've been house bound with having the flu for the last few days, I was determined to finish it off.

Initially I bought an 8MB PCI ATI Rage XL card for it. After recently obtaining a 4MB Matrox Millenium II card, I've realised the ATI card was the culprit all this time. So the ATI card now sits in my Pentium 200 MMX box running Windows 98 quite happily. With the Matrox card, the 486 motherboard would boot up no problem.

The next problem was with the DTC I/O VLB board, or so I thought. The issues were accessing the floppy drive and hard disk. The floppy drive was an easier fix as I had it plugged in to the "B" drive instead of using the plugs after the twisted cable for "A" drive. I remember what the twisted cable was for but had totally forgotten about how important that minute detail was.

The hard disk I had connected was a 2GB Quantum Pioneer drive. The DTC card picked up the geometry okay via the BIOS, but having those details saved it wouldn't boot at all. Despite having the floppy first in the boot up sequence, I kept getting the "Invalid system disk, Replace the disk, and then press any key" and wouldn't get further. Rebooting and taking out the hard disk settings and the PC would happily boot up from a floppy disk.

I decided to added the drive as a slave on a Pentium box to see what comes of it. After adding it into the BIOS okay and rebooting it came up with the same error as on the 486. I then pulled the drive out and tested it as it was before and now had the same error with just the master drive. Booting from a floppy disk and using the sys command got it working again. I then plugged into the 486 a Maxtor 20GB drive. It's overkill, though was the only other IDE drive I had lying around. The BIOS picked it up as an 8GB drive which I suspected would be the case and could actually get to FDISK to set up a FAT partition. Using FDISK from the Win98 SE boot disk, I'm not sure why it only allowed me to go up to 504MB for the primary partition. At some stage I'll look for a drive that's more appropriate. Nevertheless it's working and for a DOS 6/Windows for Workgroups box the performance is quite nice with having the DX4 100 and 32MB RAM installed. I think the Quantum drive has had it's day.

Comments

• So how your build for the 486 going so far. I have a ibm valuepoint running at 66mhz. I upgraded the hard drive to a 2gb and the memory to 32mb. I had like 7 ibm valuepoint's and parted them out down to one. It came with windows 3.11 and dos 6.22 and a 270mb hard drive. Well i hope your is going well and you figure out the hard drive booting.
  • A ValuePoint 466? Nice. I used to use one of those. Very fast onboard video with decent support for higher resolutions/refresh rates. As I recall IBM used a different size detection pin for whatever the maximum chip size was, but just cover one pin on a normal SIMM with a sticker and it would work fine.
  • my valuepoint has the S3 Vision864 video controller onboard. the model of valuepoint was 433DX/Sp or 433dx/Dp can't remember. It had a 33mhz cpu but upgraded to 66mhz. I put in a sound blaster 16 in it. There are a lot of jumpers in it to configure it for cpu speed and memory and for other stuff. I have the jumper setting for it in a book i download and under cover for it has the basic jumper setting. I got to get it back out clean it up and repaint it. But it's a good little computer in its time just wish i had the driver for it still and programs. They all was on floppies and they got ruin over time.
  • What drivers are you missing? I think I still have the ones I used archived off somewhere.
  • I know i missing the driver for the video card for windows 3.1 and dos. The sound card i can get off of sound blaster web site and the modem and network card i have the drivers on a CD some place in my pile of CD. The S3 Vision864 video card is hard to get driver for since s3 don't have it on there site any more.
  • Off hand I found this driver:
    http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 5172643091

It's nuts that so many of these drivers are so hard to find these days. And as I recall S3s web site used to be one of the easier ones to navigate.
  • thanks for the drivers. I found one for ibm warp 4 OS. I tried warp 4 once and never could figure it out. I even download the fix pack 15 to update it. But i gave up and formatted the hard drive and installed windows 98. i have a lot of old hardware i can't find drivers for now or even manual for now. when i first started playing with computer back around 1999 i could find drives on the web at anytime. i have a old ast laptop and the web site for the drivers is gone now. If you do a search online i seem to find everything but the drivers i am looking for.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    It's nuts that so many of these drivers are so hard to find these days.

That's why I think it would be great to archive more here, and they generally don't take up much space either.

I was trying to find a Crystal audio driver for NT 3.51 and found this site to get it that had a number of other drivers for AST 486s:

http://www.sandyflat.net/digerati/ast486/drivers/d-video/index.htm

http://www.sandyflat.net/digerati/ast486/drivers/d-other/index.htm
  • Here a link i found for Crystal audio . https://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/p ... dse-3qzm2r I hope this helps or what you was looking for.
  • Here a link i found for Crystal audio . https://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/p ... dse-3qzm2r I hope this helps or what you was looking for.

Thanks - what I meant was I found the driver on the links I provided. They might be useful for you and other people as there's a few for video cards and other bits and pieces.