Volume Control, can it be in my tray?

edited June 2004 in Software
Well, I installed 2000 on one of my pc's a while ago..but never thought about it. The little speaker icon that marks the volume control is not in my tray nor has it ever been. The sound "card" is an AC'97, not sure if that means anything. Well anyways, is there some registry settings or something I can change so the volume control icon will show up in my tray?

Comments

• You can. Just go to Control Panel, Sounds and Multimedia Properties, check in "Show volume control on the taskbar". That's it!
  • Why did I not find that before...lol thanks a lot. Now my desktop is one shortcut emptier.
  • Hahaha... Wingzero had a stupid moment.
  • Why did I not find that before...lol thanks a lot. Now my desktop is one shortcut emptier.

You're welcome. :-) There's a similar option for the networking shortcut in the system tray, if you want that, too.
  • I had the same problem under 2000 pro. I cannot solve that.
  • What problem? Audio or networking icon in the taskbar?
  • to get the netoworking icon, go to start, settings, netowork and dial up connections, then click the connection you want to see in the taskbar, then tick the box that says show icon in task bar....
  • Stupid moment...nah...just lazy. If someone else can tell me how to do it..should I really try to find it myself?
  • One more thing, I don't use any network related parts of windows...so I have no use for the icon to be there...In fact...I disabled the network card to make the icon go away...
  • BOD wrote:
    to get the netoworking icon, go to start, settings, netowork and dial up connections, then click the connection you want to see in the taskbar, then tick the box that says show icon in task bar....

I've solved my problem this way.
  • I thought dialup connections are always in the task bar..... ITs regular network connections that you need to make it do that. I dont need that, I got my own system of network status

if icon IS in taskbar = cable unplugged/router on fritz

no icon = A OK!
  • yeah sometimes its fun to see how much data is transfrered and how fast its goin.

for wireless networks don't that icon tell u how strong the signal is?
  • Yea. If you click on it, it can display the strength, etc. Probably on mouseover, too. That's in XP. I have wireless on a 2000 system and the Belkin driver CD installed its own form for that. The icon is color coded for signal strength.
  • Any idea how to make the network cable unplugged icon go away? Or should I Just keep the network card disabled...
  • just keep it disabled
  • Or you can remove your connection....
  • There is no connection to be removed.....There is no LAN set up to use...the icon is just there for the hell of it....
  • Well, I figured out you cant remove a connection thats for a NIC...

So indeed you SHOULD have a connection.
  • disable the connection and the icon should go away