Dell M5030 laptop

edited July 2016 in Hardware
Hi, I'm trying to fix a Dell Inspiron M5030. I'm on Windows 7, but, according to the system report I generated, all of the hardware performed so poorly. I was wondering what I should do about it? The computer has an AMD V160 single core processor.

Comments

• patddfan wrote:
    Hi, I'm trying to fix a Dell Inspiron M5030. I'm on Windows 7, but, according to the system report I generated, all of the hardware performed so poorly. I was wondering what I should do about it? The computer has an AMD V160 single core processor.

What ram do you have and what is the low score because sometimes this can be improved with more memory
  • I suggest try installing Linux instead as its hardware requirements are far less than windows 7... There are quite a few but the most popular one which is easy to use and install is Ubuntu you can get it from here http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop.
  • PCAT wrote:
    What ram do you have and what is the low score because sometimes this can be improved with more memory

I believe these come standard with 4GB RAM, sufficient to run Win 7. It's a budget laptop that basically has performance not much better than a netbook. TBH, I don't really see how Ubuntu will be that much quicker if at all, unless you strip away the GNOME and KDE environments with something else. I had a Core2 box with 4GB RAM running Mint Linux and performance was no better than running Win 10.

Increasing the RAM to 8GB would provide a slight increase, though replacing the HDD with SSD would be more beneficial.
  • Dell claims max you could stuff there is 6gs, though that chipset could take 8.

Do a fresh install of 7 to strip out all that OEM junk,and that alone will boost performance. Just get the right drivers first and backup your stuff.

If you are willing to spend money, an ssd or 6gb per sec(common 7200rpm) hdd would also bring up program and loading performance. Can also be migrated to a newer laptop, provided its drive can even be changed.(quickly becoming the case with modern budgeters can't change drive or battery)

If you are really dedicated to that thing, you could spend a little more and find a cpu upgrade, provided it can be.
  • Dell claims max you could stuff there is 6gs, though that chipset could take 8.

Do a fresh install of 7 to strip out all that OEM junk,and that alone will boost performance. Just get the right drivers first and backup your stuff.

If you are willing to spend money, an ssd or 6gb per sec(common 7200rpm) hdd would also bring up program and loading performance. Can also be migrated to a newer laptop, provided its drive can even be changed.(quickly becoming the case with modern budgeters can't change drive or battery)

If you are really dedicated to that thing, you could spend a little more and find a cpu upgrade, provided it can be.

The Max is often the max because those last 2 gigabytes might be being used for disc cash or video memory I don't know though because I know a bit about computers but nothing newer than the Pentium 4
  • PCAT wrote:
    The Max is often the max because those last 2 gigabytes might be being used for disc cash or video memory I don't know though because I know a bit about computers but nothing newer than the Pentium 4

No, in this case the maximum ram is the highest amount the chipset can detect and register.
    What you are referring to is the maximum ram that the operating system would present for programs, after deducting for said operations.

This has been the case for years, even prior to the P4.