Universal MacOS 9.2.2?

edited June 2016 in Software
I've been cleaning out old contributions that had not gotten processed (mostly because they are head - or other part of the anatomy - scratchers) and I came across an old upload named "Mac OS 9.2.2 Recompiled 2014 Universal.7z".

It is only described as "This is a retail non hardware specific universal CD with all the newest Mac PPC ROMS added. This will install on ANY PPC Mac."

Googling around, it seems the primary download and information is here:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2109.0

And also downloadable:
http://www.macintoshrepository.org/126- ... ti-nvidia-

I'm wondering if anyone knows anything more about this. I'm a little confused if this simply means it will install on any machines that were certified for 9.2.2 without their machine-specific version, or if it means it will also install on PPC machines that were only certified for MacOS X.

It does at least sound like it adds LBA large hard drive support, that was not present in all machine-specific 9.2.2 releases.

Since it is downloadable elsewhere, I probably don't need to add it to the Winworld library, but I might at least add a link to it since it sounds like something that might be useful to the community.

(On a side note, why the blazes do so many of these Mac sites block Windows 95 user agents?!)

Comments

• I"m sure many of usx(including myself) would feel better from a security standpoint if we had a WinWord download. Not saying you would hurt our machines, but some people are that paranoid
  • From a Macintosh ISO?
  • ZYou'd be surprised how some are. Think of all the cracked XP ISOs floating around. Some, one for sure i won't name, is/are filled with malwasre
  • Well, that appears to be the exact same ISO that was uploaded here. Off hand I don't have anything to test MacOS 9.2.2 on, that is why I am asking, so if anyone sees any problem with that ISO or either of the sites I linked to, just let me know.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    I'm wondering if anyone knows anything more about this. I'm a little confused if this simply means it will install on any machines that were certified for 9.2.2 without their machine-specific version, or if it means it will also install on PPC machines that were only certified for MacOS X.

It would install on a PowerPC up to a G4. It was only the G5 that couldn't boot Mac OS 9.x - they came only with OS X Tiger or Leopard as certified. I think Panther was well before G5 times.

I get the impression this was updated by an enthusiast with the intention of having the latest available updates with Mac OS 9 for convenience, similar to slip streaming a XP disc with post-SP3 updates and including the latest available ATI/Nvidia drivers etc.

Nevertheless I wasn't aware of macintoshrepository.org, so will be great to try out a few things on my G4s when I get a chance.
  • Not quite - late G4s (2003 or later) are OS X only. Some models are similar enough that minimal patching can make it work, some are too different (CPU revision or GPU, mostly) too work.
  • well i just tested this iso on my G4 MDD FW400 and it seems to work ok.
    The G4 MDD will boot from the cd, though my Logitech M325 wasn't working right when the live cd was running, i had to plug in a wired mouse cause the mouse pointer kept getting stuck on the right side of the screen.
    i haven't tried any games or any thing with it yet, but it dose run in the Macintosh Classic Environment with out problems on Mac OS X 10.4.11 and it will also boot in to OS9.2.2 .

i have a 500GB drive split in to 3 drives, one for OS X, one for OS9 and one for storage.