hp ended support

edited August 2016 in Hardware
HP won't support there computer if that are 10 years old or older on there web site. So you won't be able get drivers or manual ect. here the link for there retired policy http://support.hp.com/us-en/retired-products I went on there to get driver for my old pavilion 511n. I don't know if compaq going to do the same thing.

Comments

• What is the driver you are looking for and for what OS?

Someone mentioned this model on HP's forums last year. It appears you should be able to get a driver from Realtek for the network card, and sound is either a ADI1886 AC'97 or Crystal CS4299 AC'97 depending on the motherboard. Apparently this model has two different motherboards available.

I'd check closely what markings the chips have on the motherboard and attempt to find "generic" drivers where possible.
  • I don't know if compaq going to do the same thing.

Compaq joined HP in 2001.

-milo
  • I installed windows 98 on it and got all the drivers for but i couldn't find a sound card driver for it. It has a intel ac97 audio controller in it. I put a pci sound card in it and disable onboard audio card. Thanks for the help.
  • The Intel one is the ADI1886. AC '97 drivers from VIA may have worked as well - not that it matters after adding a dedicated card.
  • what is the "dedicated" sound card u installed on your computer, nikkigreg1974? It may use different audio drivers than the one for the onboard audio.
  • The video card looks like an intel integrated video card for the 810e. In that case getting drivers should be easy enough.

Why would you want to use the integrated sound card when you have already installed a dedicated one? If you want to use onboard remove the one you installed.