Can't Create Hybrid ISO Images on Mac?

edited July 2016 in Software
I tried to create a hybrid disk image from a CD using instructions on this website, but I keep getting an error in Disk Utility. The error says:
Reading whole disk (Apple_HFS : 0)...
Operation failed with status 5
Operation failed...

Am I missing something?

Comments

• Can you post a little bit more information on what you are trying to do. Like what iso file are you trying to burn? As well as your Host OS, and disk utility version number. As this information will help diagnose your current issue.
  • I'm trying to dump a hybrid (Mac and Windows compatible) CD-ROM into an ISO file so I can offer it to winworld.

System information:
    MacBook Pro (Mid-2012)
    MacOS 10.12 Sierra Public Beta (same thing happens on OS X 10.11.5 El Capitan)
    Disk Utility 16.0

I'm following the instructions here to create the ISO.
  • Unfortunately I don't know mac os very well. Although I have researched the status 5 on the disk utility, a big thread on mac rumors has showed up that this utility isn't what it use to be. I have instead found a tutorial here that may offer promising results.
  • Except, we don't want to modify the CD contents AT ALL. I don't use MacOS much either, but it sounds like their utility may be reading in the file system and then creating a completely new ISO image, which is not what we want.

You also should not need to worry about hybrid disks. If the CD is not already hybrid, that doesn't matter at all to us. If the CD is already hybrid DOS/Mac then just dumping the raw ISO preserves all data.

Honestly, I would just recommend using ImgBurn on Windows to dump the disk. Even if Windows has no clue how to read files, it will still dump the ISO just fine.
  • Another suggestion is if you can retrieve a copy of Toast to create the ISO.

I'm not sure what versions work on the latest OS X, however I've used Toast 6 on my G4 running OS X Tiger to do this.
  • Thanks SomeGuy, that did it. It mounts properly on both macOS and Windows.