Will Linux prevail?

2»

Comments

• birdy wrote:
    For example you could create user accounts in one full script.

I get what you're trying to say, but you can do that on Windows.

The terminal is awesome if you're a technical person... if you're an average joe, it's strange and scary.
  • ampharos wrote:
    The right thing to do is not hold back any security updates, because these are low-key changes, not like a feature upgrade. It's important to do the right thing out of the box - what normie would change the settings?

but those aren't security updates being held back though; those updates that are held back are kernel and X11 updates, and those updates can break things for some people.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    birdy wrote:
    For example you could create user accounts in one full script.

The terminal is awesome if you're a technical person... if you're an average joe, it's strange and scary.

Why are you using DOS, it's like 2016 wheres my apps?!
  • I think most drivers are installed by using the terminal. I tried to install a update for realtek audio driver with no luck since realtek make there drivers to be installed with the terminal . If they made a auto installer for linux drivers i think more people would use linux. The only driver linux seem to install automatically is nvidia video driver. So i think that what scares most people from linux. I maybe wrong.
  • dosbox wrote:
    ampharos wrote:
    The right thing to do is not hold back any security updates, because these are low-key changes, not like a feature upgrade. It's important to do the right thing out of the box - what normie would change the settings?

but those aren't security updates being held back though; those updates that are held back are kernel and X11 updates, and those updates can break things for some people.

Kernel and X11 are pretty important parts of security though. With that said, just tell people to enable all updates when they install and you should be set.
    I think most drivers are installed by using the terminal. I tried to install a update for realtek audio driver with no luck since realtek make there drivers to be installed with the terminal . If they made a auto installer for linux drivers i think more people would use linux. The only driver linux seem to install automatically is nvidia video driver. So i think that what scares most people from linux. I maybe wrong.

What distro are you using? Many major beginner-friendly distros install most drivers out of the box.
  • With this thread revived, something just came to me... as anyone would know, the end of Windows 10's life would be in 2025 and I remembered that Microsoft said that this would be their final OS release (but I'm not sure if this is really true. They did declare that during its development). When the time comes, would anyone think Linux may take over then, if there really is no indication of a new Windows OS in the future? Just a thought.
  • I think it depends on how Microsoft actually handles this "final OS release" thing. The warning signs are there, but people won't jump ship until it bites them in the butt very badly.

If Microsoft truly treats it as a "final release", pumping out random updates and randomly breaking major functionality, all while forcing unwanted shit down peoples throats, then it will give people reason to switch. On the other hand if they break it down in to various long term releases (10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4, etc, copying Apple again) then it might be considered manageable enough. The first seems more likely, but who knows what wild crap they will pull out of their indecisive marketing department's butts next. (Who would turn down a chance for their product to go up to 11?)

But my prediction is that 99% of the developers and users out there will just stick with Windows no matter how hellish Microsoft makes it.
  • No, the whole final release thing is just them trying to copy Apple.... there will continue to be many releases of Windows, in fact there looks to be quite a bit more releases than we're used to seeing... as it is we're on the third release of Windows 10 already.

I do think that eventually they'll drop the 10 and just call it Windows... or at least that's where they're trying to move to.

Linux won't succeed until it can figure out how to create a truly good user experience and get the desperately needed pre-install market.

Although, really, if you think about it... Linux already has succeeded on the mobile front. More and more people rely on their phones and tablets instead of their laptops or desktops. At least in the consumer market. Desktops/laptops still prevail in the business world.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    More and more people rely on their phones and tablets instead of their laptops or desktops. At least in the consumer market. Desktops/laptops still prevail in the business world.
    Well, I still use my laptop... and it would always stay that way. Then again, how many people out there still use desktop/laptop? To me, mobile and tablets are only good for short-term use, personally speaking.
  • Bry89 wrote:
    BlueSun wrote:
    More and more people rely on their phones and tablets instead of their laptops or desktops. At least in the consumer market. Desktops/laptops still prevail in the business world.
    Well, I still use my laptop... and it would always stay that way. Then again, how many people out there still use desktop/laptop? To me, mobile and tablets are only good for short-term use, personally speaking.
    I basically only use my desktop for everything. Considering I'm also doing stuff like game design and programming in my free time, I sure as hell need an actual computer for this stuff. Similarly, I don't like using mobile devices in general. I feel like everything I do on my phone I can do on my computer a thousand times faster. I type much faster using a computer keyboard. By the time I finish writing this, I'd probably have finished only half or even a third of this entire post. Mobile keyboards are incredibly slow to type on. You'd think that being born in a time when people 10 years older than you type on mobile keyboards just fine means that you'd have an easy time learning, but clearly that seems to not be the case for me. Not only that, but sometimes on my computer, if I'm typing something and I need info, I can just quickly switch tabs and I'm on Wikipedia in an instant, while on mobile I usually have to switch application, and on my fairly slow phone, it's a no-go. Ultimately, the few times I'm away from home and I have to rely on my phone, I do not feel happy about it. Tablets seem better definitely, but they're still not as convenient as computers.
  • To be clear, when I say "people" I'm talking about your average joe walking down the street. Not enthusiasts, gamers, IT people, etc... I find most tech people fall into two categories... either you love your phone or you hate your phone. You're either one of the ones that always upgrades and gets the latest and greatest shiny new phone or you're someone that only uses a phone because you have to and would happily chuck it into the river.

Personally, I quite like having my phone available. I can look things up really quick without having to find a computer, boot it up, log in... open a browser... fuck that. I can pull out my phone and unlock it in just a few seconds and have my answer.

I've also been known to perform quite a few administrative tasks for my job while on my phone... Could I do it faster from a computer? Sometimes, yeah... do I feel like busting out my laptop to set up an IPSec tunnel or reset a users password? No...
    garirry wrote:
    Mobile keyboards are incredibly slow to type on. You'd think that being born in a time when people 10 years older than you type on mobile keyboards just fine means that you'd have an easy time learning, but clearly that seems to not be the case for me.

It's just practice. The more you do it, the faster you become. It was like that for physical keyboards as well... I used to be a horrendously slow typer, but then I started posting on forums and chatting online and eventually I got faster.