Battery Cell type for IBM 73H9951 Battery type

edited October 2016 in Hardware
I am trying to figure out the battery cell for this type of battery, I want to Re-cell the battery, and i am trying to figure out the Cell type before i take apart the battery to recell it. This battery was used in the IBM Thinkpad 380 series

Comments

• I have a stack of these at home. They are a 6-cell Li-Ion battery running at 10.8 volts and 2.6 Ah. What else is there to know? I haven't bothered with the batteries for my TP 380s as I only intend to use them plugged into AC power.

Edit: I happened to bring a box in from the shed that had about 10 of these batteries. Just for reference, there's also a 73H9952 battery that is also compatible with the same models. This is a Ni-MH battery running at 8.4 volts and 3.5Ah.
  • I have a stack of these at home. They are a 6-cell Li-Ion battery running at 10.8 volts and 2.6 Ah. What else is there to know? I haven't bothered with the batteries for my TP 380s as I only intend to use them plugged into AC power.

Edit: I happened to bring a box in from the shed that had about 10 of these batteries. Just for reference, there's also a 73H9952 battery that is also compatible with the same models. This is a Ni-MH battery running at 8.4 volts and 3.5Ah.

Why would IBM release 2 battery cell types for the 380 series? why would there be li-ion and ni-mh cells?
  • Cost.

Ni-MH batteries were frequently available with 1990s laptops though would need to be almost fully drained of power before recharging to increase the battery's life span.

An equivalent comparison for the time is colour displays for laptops. For example the ThinkPad 380 series have used either a DSTN, FSTN, HPA, or TFT LCD screen. Laptops with a DSTN screen were usually noticeably cheaper while TFT the most expensive.

I guess as the 380 series were considered a low to mid-range laptop at the time, some compromises were made.