looking for IBM thinkpad 380xd windows 95 installation disk

edited November 2016 in Software
Does anyone know where i can get a iso image of the restore cd for the IBM thinkpad 380xd ? I want to install the original windows 95 for this machine because i am having weird issues while installing windows 98 from the disk. even though i have all of the drivers installed for the laptop , in the device manager it still says there are unknown devices and some devices aren't working correctly. I think the retail windows 98 disk on this site might be corrupt, It seems it doesn't install correctly on the computers i have installed it on. Like it says when windows 98 is finishing installing and when it gets to installing drivers , some of the drivers like sound , and a few other devices says the drivers are on the cd and it says to insert the cd, but it still says can't find drivers, and it keeps coming up to insert disc for drivers, even though the disc doesn't seem to have the drivers that are needed.

Comments

• Firstly finding the original restore disks are almost impossible to find on eBay, or to download. Windows 95 was originally what came with this model, though Windows 98 runs on these fine.
    Using the Windows 98 SE ISO from here I've seen no issues with. My own 380XDs and other 3xx models run Windows 98 fine.

What I tend to do with before starting up Win98 Setup is copy the CAB files from the WIN98 directory on the CD to the hard disk. That way during installation, if there's an issue with requesting files from a CAB file just point it to the directory on the hard disk.

Do a search for:
    vftpi89m.exe - Video card drivers
    pctpcw95.exe - PCMCIA drivers
    aftprw95.exe - Audio drivers
    uttpfper.exe - IBM Personalisation Editor
    uttpfw98.exe - ThinkPad Utility
  • Firstly finding the original restore disks are almost impossible to find on eBay, or to download. Windows 95 was originally what came with this model, though Windows 98 runs on these fine.
    Using the Windows 98 SE ISO from here I've seen no issues with. My own 380XDs and other 3xx models run Windows 98 fine.

What I tend to do with before starting up Win98 Setup is copy the CAB files from the WIN98 directory on the CD to the hard disk. That way during installation, if there's an issue with requesting files from a CAB file just point it to the directory on the hard disk.

Do a search for:
    vftpi89m.exe - Video card drivers
    pctpcw95.exe - PCMCIA drivers
    aftprw95.exe - Audio drivers
    uttpfper.exe - IBM Personalisation Editor
    uttpfw98.exe - ThinkPad Utility

The retail disc on this site is much smaller in size than some other windows 98 discs , the disk on here is 622 MB , while another disc I found online was 638 MB. I can't figure out why the other disc is bigger, but they are both retail discs. Also i did try the method of copying the .cab and the drivers to the hard drive, and i also tried installing it by the hard drive, by just copying the whole disc to the hard drive, nothing worked, still having the same problem from what i said previously