Need help getting windows 3.1 crystalware audio to work.

edited April 2017 in Software
I am having issues getting the CrystalWare audio driver to work in windows 3.1 under my IBM thinkpad 380xd. The driver was downloaded off of a website archive of the drivers for the ibm thinkpad 380xd. The driver installed and than when the computer reboots and when i try to get into Windows 3.1 it gives me a blue screen of death saying VSNDSYS.386 Initialization error! Unable to locate Sound System hardware. I know this means the driver can't find the sound hardware, So how do I get the driver to recognize the sound hardware? I do know it is the right driver for the system. also I get another error in ms-dos saying Inadequate configuration to Download Firmware Code, this error happens in any OS that the laptop is compatible up to windows 98 , but the sound does work in windows 95 and 98. If anyone has the solution please help!! I would greatly appreciate the help. I am sure the driver is correct since i downloaded it from https://thinkpads.com/support/Thinkpad-Drivers/download.lenovo.com/lenovo/content/ddfm/380xd.html

Comments

• I used the same drivers - works beautifully. Basically default settings are I/O 220, IRQ 5, and DMA 1. Seems to me that's the issue.

If you installed the ThinkPad Utility program then you can see the configuration as below.

Here's a pic from a ThinkPad 380 with an old TFT monitor plugged in:
    tp380-soundsettings.jpg
  • I used the same drivers - works beautifully. Basically default settings are I/O 220, IRQ 5, and DMA 1. Seems to me that's the issue.

If you installed the ThinkPad Utility program then you can see the configuration as below.

Here's a pic from a ThinkPad 380 with an old TFT monitor plugged in:
    tp380-soundsettings.jpg

Thank You, that actually fixed the issue, weird you have to have a configuration utility for it to work correctly, the configuration utility was never installed