Issue with windows 3.1 video driver for ibm thinkpad 380xd

edited April 2017 in Software
I am having a issue with wfw 3.11, with getting the computer video driver to install correctly, at install i am getting an error of "setup is unable to install the file coure.fon, because the file is currently used by windows." which I know that means the file that it is trying to copy is being used by windows 3.1? what can I do to get the driver installed? i am wondering how can i change the font that is being used by by wfw 3.11?

I did originally install wfw 3.11 on time with the video driver and it worked one time, and than i installed a utility that needed APM installed when i installed it originally it installed with the system set to ms-dos system and not ms-dos system apm, Now that APM is enabled now the video driver will not install.

Update: I reinstalled wfw 3.11 with enabling apm, and the graphics driver won't install now either, I got the driver to install once fine, and now i can't figure out why it won't now

Comments

• Thinkpad 380xd (Video : MagicGraph 128XD / NM2160) is for Windows 9x, not for Windows 3.x
    (Especially Video driver supports from Windows 9x.)

Therefore it is impossible to install video driver for Windows 3.x

P.S. Before asking questions, you can use Google search or Wiki if you want to know detailly.
  • ibmpc5150 wrote:
    Thinkpad 380xd (Video : MagicGraph 128XD / NM2160) is for Windows 9x, not for Windows 3.x
    (Especially Video driver supports from Windows 9x.)

Therefore it is impossible to install video driver for Windows 3.x

P.S. Before asking questions, you can use Google search or Wiki if you want to know detailly.

it does have a driver for windows 3.1 , you can look here, just select the category display and video graphics, and select DOS / windows 3.X

https://thinkpads.com/support/Thinkpad-Drivers/download.lenovo.com/lenovo/content/ddfm/380xd.html
  • Hmm, strange.

Anyway if downloaded driver archived file (vfpxw31.exe) doesn't support on your 380xd,
    there is no way to install.

vfpxw31.exe can be extracted to diskette.

P.S. Please don't quate whole sentence to me if possible.
  • ibmpc5150 wrote:
    Hmm, strange.

Anyway if downloaded driver archived file ...........

You know what, i just remembered something when I installed the video driver originally , i think i used windows 3.11 and not the workgroup version , and i installed the non workgroup version and the driver works fine, how is it possible that the driver works fine in the non workgroup version of windows 3.11 and doesn't want to install in the workgroups version of windows 3.11? anyone know why this happen?
  • Again with my same laptop when you had an issue with sound, I'm using the MagicGraph 128XD drivers at 800x600 16-bit colour no problem on Windows for Workgroups. Same drivers you're using as well.

Provided that vftpxw31.exe is used as instructed to create a floppy disk for the extracted drivers to copy onto, there shouldn't be an issue. The readme file does specify to install via DOS version of Windows Setup when files won't be in use.
  • Again with my same laptop when you had an issue with sound, I'm using the MagicGraph 128XD drivers at 800x600 16-bit colour no problem on Windows for Workgroups. Same drivers you're using as well.

Provided that vftpxw31.exe is used as instructed to create a floppy disk for the extracted drivers to copy onto, there shouldn't be an issue. The readme file does specify to install via DOS version of Windows Setup when files won't be in use.

I have tried that, but i tried it using the 800x600 16m colors, what it does is when i do that, the setup.exe just goes back to C:\ in a 800x600 resolution screen
    and also the command prompt starts acting weird. haven't tried using other resolution settings while i install it. How doesn't it have issues installing drivers inside windows 3.11 but in wfw 3.11?
  • ibmpc5150 wrote:
    P.S. Please don't quate whole sentence to me if possible.

I totally concur with this with every single reply.
    haven't tried using other resolution settings while i install it.

That's the problem - you haven't tried. If I change to 24-bit colour on that TP 380, Windows states there's not enough memory before even loading the splash screen. Hence, why I had it running on 16-bit colour with no problem. Not only that but here states to run it at 16-bit when using the internal LCD: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Neomagic_MagicGraph128XD

Also I never had problems installing in WFW. Unless it's networking, sound and video drivers makes no difference between Win 3.1 and WFW.

tp380neomagic.jpg

• That's the problem - you haven't tried. If I change to 24-bit colour on that TP 380, ......

I have it set to 16M colors after the install and its working fine right now? why it is recommended to do only 64k color?
  • I actually made a blunder - these TP 380s all used these MagicGraph video chips with only slightest variations. The TP 380 shown has just over 1 MB of video memory hence stuck on 16-bit colour at 800 x 600. Yours has 2 MB so 24-bit colour wouldn't be a problem. ThinkPad 380Z has 2.5 MB for 1024 x 768 resolution.

I simply don't bother with APM on machines this old that have batteries. I tend to take the batteries out altogether as they no longer hold charge. I don't know what this utility is to need APM installed, however from experience there's never been an issue installing the graphics card driver when I don't specify APM when choosing the type of system whilst installing DOS and Windows.
  • I actually made a blunder - these TP 380s all used these MagicGraph video chips with only slightest variations.....

I thought APM was causing the graphics driver to not install its that , When I first installed windows 3.11 i installed the non workgroup version, the non workgroup version allows the graphics driver installed in windows, workgroups does not. When i installed it with apm enabled, I did the workgroup version and did not remember what i installed the first time. the first time I got the driver to work correctly was when i was installing it fresh, when I selected the 16M colors it would crash when installing the driver while installing windows, selecting the basic 256 colors finally got it to install correctly and selected 16M colors after it installed. The Battery Power support in the thinkpad utility program wants APM enabled for some reason .