Windows 3.0 / 3.1 3.0

edited November 2017 in Product Comments

imageWindows 3.0 / 3.1 3.0

Read the full story here

Comments

• *Microsoft Windows 3.0a (5.25" 360KB - 15 EA)

This media type is very rare and hard to find, because it was available via Microsoft mail order only.
    I've checked it and all files are identical to 3.5" 720KB media's one except SETUP.INI.
    (No error has found.)

• I cant load windows . It takes me back to the prompt.

• @nsuyom said:
    I cant load windows . It takes me back to the prompt.

Try typing win /r

• How do I install the multimedia edition?

• @colincool05 said:
    How do I install the multimedia edition?

It is going to be hard to install that, you need MS-DOS CD-ROM drivers on a Tandy. I recommend finding a non-Tandy version though, it works on any IBM PC then.

• edited May 16

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-windows-Graphical-environment-for-DOS-systems-15-floppys/192512640798

I really didn't know Microsoft Windows 3.0 (Not 3.0a) with 5.25" 360KB 15 disks are listed on eBay.

This seems to be wanted list on WinWorld.

• edited May 27

https://betawiki.net/wiki/Windows_3.1#Beta_1

Versions between Windows 3.1 Beta 1 and Release Candidate are rare. These are some of the versions not available here.

• WOW THE FIRST ONE WAS FAST!!!!!!!😲

• I'd suggest changing the minimum RAM requirement for Win 3.0 to 640KB, as it will run on that in Real Mode. It seems a bit misleading the way it is.

• If I recall correctly, Windows 3.0 won't run in 286 standard or 386 enhanced modes with only 640k. That is how most people would expect to use it. Memory requirements on most software products usually have some wiggle room - for example many DOS programs require less total system RAM if they are run on earlier versions of DOS than what was current at the time. Many vendors used numbers to represent what is needed to make a program run well rather than just start up.

• edited December 8

Well when I was a kid, I did run 3.0 on a 286 on real mode. I played really simple games on there, since the real mode didn't allow a lot to be done. But its important that the minimum is actually the absolute minimum, instead of a more recommend size. So yeah, it should show 640kb as minimum, as its actually posible to use it like that.

Of course, it would be better if it had the complete list of minimum requirements:

• Real mode: 640kb (384kb free)
    • Standard mode: 1Mb
    • Enhanced mode: 2Mb

(and its silly that the minimum RAM is show a 2Mb AND the minimum processor is 8086/8088, since its impossible to have such processor with 2Mb of RAM - XT computers were limited to a maximum of 640kb)

• edited December 8

Ok, the official system requirements for Windows 3.0 are:

System Requirements
    Personal computer using the Intel(R) 286, 386 (386 SX or 386DX), or higher processor.
    640k conventional memory (640k conventional and 256k extended memory recommended).
    One 3 1/2" (720k) disk drive and a hard disk (1.2mb drive for the 1.2mb version).
    CGA, EGA, VGA, 8514/A, Hercules(r) graphics card, or compatible video graphics adapter and monitor (EGA or higher recommended).
    MS-DOS or PC-DOS operating system version 3.0 or higher.

Options
    Microsoft Mouse or compatible.
    Hayes(R) or compatible modem for communications.

By the way, it is possible for a PC/XT class computer to have more than 640k through the use of paged EMS memory. Although that kind of memory is not really useful to Windows 3.0 or most other programs.