Windows NT 3.51 VHD ready to go for Monday

13»

Comments

• If VPC has set to allocate more memory then available to the VM it'll throw that. Check that VM's settings.

-Q
  • 32mb should do just fine for a NT 3.51.
  • It now works on 25mb memory, thanks.
  • OK-I'm browsing winboards and typing this in nt 3.51 in vpc 2004, vpc 2007 doesn't work in 2000.
  • try vmware.
  • there's little difference between 2004 and 2007 aside from the different OS's that are supported in each version.

You can turn a VHD into a physical PC disk using ghost or other methods, I already mention that this VHD can be merged to a physical PC with support for most era chipsets and IDE controllers already fixed in the image.

As far as making a live CD, not with a VHD, maybe as a physcial disk, but I bet Windows dies the minute it can't access the file attributes of it's own files. Anhyhow, with virtualization working so well, I can't see much point in making a live CD.

Vmware is great for certain things and poor for others, I like the fixed virtual hardware that is emulated in VPC. I can get most things working with it, though some Linux distros simply "don't go"
  • It's working ok in vpc 2004 in windows 2000. It's a bit slow, but 25mb is the limit for ram. I won't try vmware as 1 emulator is enough as far as laptop speed is concerned. Thanks for making the image, how did you make it? I want to make a 98SE image from the setup disk, how isi it done?
  • Just create a new virtual machine, then install 98se. Go to the my virtual machines folder in my documents and the vhd file should be in there.
  • Install 98SE where?
  • One of my posts from Windows 9x forum

You can download a VMC and VFD ready to go for Virtual PC from http://vpc.essjae.com/

He has done the work to get you installed with windows 98
  • alexzarach wrote:
    Install 98SE where?

Into a virtual machine you have created.
  • I tried. It wanted to install in the c:\ where 2000 pro is. All the vms ran on the c:\, so I couldn't install in one of those.
  • Sorry can you please re-phrase that.
  • anantha92 wrote:
    alexzarach wrote:
    Install 98SE where?

Into a virtual machine you have created.
    The virtual machine itself is installed on the c:\ where my os is installed. It would overwrite my OS.
  • Um? Don't use a physical drive then. Use a VHD.
  • And run setup from within the VHD?
  • KK. I'll try now.
  • Log onto msn, and i'll guide you there. If you need any guidance that is.
  • It's likely I'll go on MSN-I'm awful with virtual PC!