ibm value point
    dx2 cpu 66mhz socket 3 it came with a 33mhz cpu
    16mb or ram
    3gb hd it came with a 127mb hd
    s3 864 video card on motherboard
    running windows 95 it came with windows 3.11 for work groups
    sb 16 sound card
    Nice.
  • thanks i just add more memory the other day so now my ibm has 24mb. so now windows 95 running a little faster on it. i did put a intel isa network card in it too. never will go online with it since it's really slow and don't want to over work the cpu to much might kill it. lol
  • thanks i just add more memory the other day so now my ibm has 24mb. so now windows 95 running a little faster on it. i did put a intel isa network card in it too. never will go online with it since it's really slow and don't want to over work the cpu to much might kill it. lol
    Interesting. My old 486 machine has 24MB RAM (max 64MB), an AMD AM486 DX4-S120 120MHz Socket 3 Processor (originally 33MHz in 1994), 80GB Hard Drive, DVD Burner, no mouse, Parallel Cable (Direct Cable Connection), Acer AL1917W 19" Widescreen Flat Panel, S3 Trio64 Bahamas 64 Paradise VESA 2MB Graphics Card, Sound Blaster Vibra16x PnP ISA Sound Card, WinBond Multi-Function Card (IDE/FDD/LPT/COM/Joystick) ISA, Logitech Keyboard connected to a PS/2 Keyboard to Standard AT Adapter, HSing Tech M912 v 1.7 Motherboard, Apple Macintosh Quadra 650 case w/ 115W PSU - flip switch, Windows 98SE with patches, updates (official, hotfixes, and unofficial), SP2.1a Unofficial, Plus! 98, VNC Viewer & Server 4.0, IE 6.0 SP1, FireFox 1.5.0.7 (Windows Update Site doesn't work with Windows 98SE anymore). The computer's been around since 1994. I remember it has DOS and Windows 3.11. Then, it had Windows 95 on it with an external USRobotics Modem from 1996. The system wasn't used in a long time (over 15 years) after my dad built another system). Was still in my back room for a long time at the same position of where it was at years ago. The system I fixed up and restored was the first computer we had for a long time. It had a quad-speed CD-ROM, 5.25" 1.2MB Floppy Drive, and a 3.5" 1.44MB Floppy Drive.
  • The highest memory my ibm value point can take total is 128mb. the cpu is a dx2 66mhz. i was given 8 of these ibm and they all work but use the rest for parts. It was made in at the end of 1993 and still going and built like a tank. I put a 24x cd-rom in it. It came with a ibm 6x cd-rom and a 270mb ibm hard drive. it take fpm 72pin simm memory. if you put edo 72pin simm memory in it won't work. they don't need to be a matching pair of simm memory. i was thinking about getting 4 32mb simm memory for it at one time. but i have better thing to put money in.
  • wow that's a pretty old system... IBMs are the best too.

What kind of ram would a 486DX2 use? I doubt it's going to be running PC66, as that's the CPU clock. PC33? PC16.5? ;)

I have a bunch of unlabeled, ancient RAM... but the chances of it working at all much less being compatible with your system are low.
  • My ibm value point runs fpm simm memory. it's a 70ns memory. They still sell the memory for it on computer memory sites. i like to upgrade the memory to the highest it will take. it will handle 32mb simm memory in each 4 slots witch is 128mb. someday i will do that after i have extra money to spend on it. LOL
  • Depends on your board, most 386's by like 1988-1990 were using 70/60ns 30pin SIMM's. 72pin SIMM's followed, which were all generally 60ns and I think PC66 RAM really took off around early 1994-1995, when the market finally took P5 and Pentium chips on mass.
  • ... so there wasn't PC33 RAM?
  • my ibm use 72pin simm with the biggest chip size of 32mb.
  • Basically no. I was not too well versed in computers at the time, but most machines were only shipping with SIMM's still until PC100 was around. At least on the standard consumer market. Many boards offered SDRAM or SIMM slots but I think people were sticking with SIMM's as they were becoming the cheaper option.
  • I have a P3 running XP Pro with 256MB RAM. I keep it off the internet.
  • First of all, apologies if I'm resurrecting an old thread but the oldest
    Computer I have is a Toshiba Tecra 8000
    Pentium II - 366 MHz
    128 MB RAM
    10 GB Hard Drive
    2.5 MB NeoMagic Magic Media 256AV built in video card
    built-in nub mouse :evil:
    Yamaha Audio Sound Card
    Toshiba 3 1/2" floppy drive
    Teac quad speed CD-ROM drive
    Xircom CardBus Ethernet 10/100 Adapter
    Windows 2000 Professional SP4
  • mforan wrote:
    First of all, apologies if I'm resurrecting an old thread but the oldest
    Computer I have is a Toshiba Tecra 8000
    Pentium II - 366 MHz
    128 MB RAM
    10 GB Hard Drive
    2.5 MB NeoMagic Magic Media 256AV built in video card
    built-in nub mouse :evil:
    Yamaha Audio Sound Card
    Toshiba 3 1/2" floppy drive
    Teac quad speed CD-ROM drive
    Xircom CardBus Ethernet 10/100 Adapter
    Windows 2000 Professional SP4

You clearly admitted to doing something we forbid in our guidelines. Why?
  • Just make another thread lol.

But eh. My oldest? An old 486 pos. Oldest that I use? This Thinkpad T61.
  • I couldn't find newer thread of the same topic; but I'll add my setup.

The system came from work; they were no longer using it and it was going to the recycler, so I just recycled it into my truck:

Pentium-III 500 MHz (slot-1)
    440BX mother board
    384 MB RAM
    Nvidia GeForce4 MX 440
    Acer AL1912 19" 1280x1024 Monitor
    Creative AWE 64 Value ISA
    40 GB Hard-drive
    D-Link DFE Ethernet Card
    Windows 98SE
    Office 97 Pro
    Visual Studio 6
    Several Games that won't run on my Win7-64 machine, such as Dungeon Keeper, Starcraft, Mechwarrior 3, and Tie Fighter collectors edition.

I use it for classic gaming and Visual Basic 6 development, as well as a 2nd machine to test networking programs I write and pulling files off old 3.5 floppies and Zip disks. There's a 12 GB Bigfoot drive in it that if I switch the cables will boot DOS 6.22 and WfWG 3.11, but I find that I do most of my Dos and WfWG work in DosBOX.

My 150 MHz 80 MB Compaq LTE laptop that is floating around also ran the last time I turned it on.

I could probably get the computer it's resting on to run if I plugged it in, but it just makes so much noise. (HP Netserver LX Pro, Quad P-Pro 200, 512 MB Parity Memory, 12 hotswap bays for SCA-80 SCSI drives, and triple power supply rated at 1000+ W. I have a handfull of drives, mostly 9.1 GB at 10,000 rpm, and last time it fired up it had Slackware Linux installed. It also dimmed the house, and makes a fine geeky table for "Retro" and the running server).

I have a 1.2 GHz T-bird Athlon, a debut iMac (Bondi blue), K6-2 350 MHz machine, and Apple IIc in the attic, but they're not "running" at the moment. I've contemplated getting my KVM out, and transferring my 98 install to the T-bird, and using the P-III for DOS and WfWG work.

Underjack
  • Mine is a custom built P1 running DOS 6.22 and Win 3.1:

Pentium I MMX
    32MB RAM
    8MB Voodoo2
    SoundBlaster 16
    10GB WD drive
    4X MITSUMI CD-ROM
    MITSUMI 3.25" Floppy Drive
    TEAC 5.25" Floppy Drive
    300W Sparkle PSU
  • Cyrix CX486DX2 @ 80MHz (turbo button does nothing)
    2 16MB 72pin SIMM x32 Memory
    Unknown model 3.5" floppy
    Random DVD-RW drive w/ the 4 pin audio cable
    AWE64 16 bit soundcard
  • Used to have a ton of old stuff, like a Pentium MMX, an IBM compy, and even a Windows 95 Upgrade CD, but they're still out in my backyard, although I might be able to get it to run again, put either Win95 gold, Win95c, or Win2K on it. The Win2K one would make it run slow as anus, but you know what I mean. And sorry for being semi-off-topic. :colors:
  • Currently I have a Macintosh LC.
  • The oldest computer running is an emachiens Windows ME with the following
    intel processer celorn
    About 500mb of ram
    and the original floppy drive 3 1/2.
    Also with the origanal crt monitor.
  • My oldest is a Dell Latuide C610
  • Going to post here since I'm half-drunk...

I regret not holding on to some of the old PCs I used to have. At one point I had a 286 IBM PS/2, a Mac Plus, Mac SE and several original pizza-box LCs. Unfortunately when I moved back in '09, most of it got left behind in some unrelated chaos that ensued.

The oldest fully operational system I have is my ThinkPad 380XD, which is rolling a Mobile Pentium II 233 MHz processor with 64MB of RAM, and amazingly a battery that still holds a charge. I also have an older 486 ThinkPad, but it doesn't work quite as well. I have a whole box of ThinkPads from that era for that matter...

The oldest desktop I have now is an Athlon XP based system I salvaged from the trash a few years ago, it's currently in storage.
  • Duff wrote:
    I regret not holding on to some of the old PCs I used to have.
    So do I sometimes. Just for nostalgic reasons, I wish I still had the computer that I learned to program on. But alas, I don't. I do still have my old Apple IIe though. That is easily the oldest computer I have. It's not still in operation or even set up, but it would probably still work if I turned it on. It worked when I put it in storage.
  • Nostalgia is the main reason for me as well...and maybe the fact that in the future a working IBM PS/2 / Mac Plus could hold some value to collectors. Not that I have the space to store a ton of old desktops anymore.

That Athlon XP I salvaged was actually a lucky coincidence, it was built using almost identical components (Mobo, CPU, RAM) that my original Athlon XP PC had, so I'm holding on to that out of nostalgia more than anything.

That reminds me Kirk, do you still have that obnoxious looking Xclio case with the massive turbofan in the front? That thing was hilarious looking.
  • Duff wrote:
    That reminds me Kirk, do you still have that obnoxious looking Xclio case with the massive turbofan in the front? That thing was hilarious looking.
    Hahaha, yeah it's upstairs with a bad motherboard mounted in it and otherwise pretty much stripped. I've been pondering removing the board and lugging it to a dumpster.
  • Nice, it's so leet gamer obnoxious I almost want it just for shits and giggles. If cases didn't weigh and cost a ton to ship I'd buy it just to throw something useless in it.

For those who haven't seen it:

xclio_lol.jpg
  • Wow! That thing is down right hideous looking.
  • This is my oldest running machine, a 1979 vintage TRS-80 Model 1:
    trs-80_10.jpg
  • (Sorry for thread bump)

That machine is beautiful! Also, nice playmat :P

Anyway, my oldest box set up right now is a PowerMac G4 a guy a know gave to me. His university was throwing shit out and they wanted to recycle stuff so I told him I collect old Macs. I also have two G3 iMacs, a Powerbook 1400, a torn apart iBook, and an old Thinkpad. Oh, and somewhere there's an ancient 486 just laying around in my shed.. I plan on putting an ethernet card in it, the AMD 5x86 I have, some extra RAM in it, and setting it up for vintage gaming. Maybe even finding a way to play Doom with newer systems? It'd be fun to be 1995-era gaming while someone else plays on a modern PC.
  • My most old computer set up right now is a old Pentium based computer, with Windows 95 and 16 MB of RAM. It can't run Half-Life 1 without lag. lol