[REQUEST] hDC First Apps v1.0

I'm looking for a software utility called hDC First Apps v1.0 that was released way back in May 1990 and it was designed to run on Windows 3.0.

As far as I know, it was the first program that I ever used when I was a teenager. When I installed it on a 286-based DataLab PC with just 1 MB of memory, it only came on two 5 1/4" floppy diskettes. It was my favourite software utility at the time when I used Windows 3.0.

I checked the Software Library for hDC First Apps v1.0 under the Applications section and unfortunately, it's not there. However, I recently saw one on eBay for $75 (the price can be lower by making a Make Offer) plus $5.95 S&H. It comes on two 1.2 MB 5 1/4" and three 720 KB 3 1/2" floppy diskettes. You can view the images of what the utility looks like at the back of the box: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-hDC-FIRST- ... 1740379423

Another similar utility on eBay is hDG First Apps (spelled with a G not a C) for $24.99.

As it turns out, hDC First Apps is sadly becoming hard to find. Does anyone have a good copy of hDC First Apps?

Let me know if you do.

:)

Comments

• I've been looking for that too. Supposedly the earliest versions of some of the hDC products ran on Windows 2.x.

I do have a crippled demo version that I haven't processed yet. Since you asked, I will try to get that out there in a bit.

$75 is a bit much. But then again, shrink wrap doesn't last long around me :)
  • Nuts, that demo version I thought I had is missing its disk 2 and won't install without it. Guess that's why I hadn't done anything with it yet.
  • I had a sealed copy of hDC MicroApps - IBM Academic Edition. It's not what you were after but as we don't appear to have anything from hDC on WinWorld, I've uploaded it anyway. Reading the user's guide it comes with Keyboard Mapper, Character Set, and MicroApp Manager.

It also came with brochures of their other products not just FirstApps, but also FileApps, Icon Designer, and Windows Express. Reading about Windows Express sounds very similar to Apple's At Ease, and FirstApps apparently had an action game called Rocks as a free bonus.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    Nuts, that demo version I thought I had is missing its disk 2 and won't install without it. Guess that's why I hadn't done anything with it yet.

Oh dear. That doesn't sound too good.

I would also like to mention that Windows 3.0 Resource Kit had a demo version of hDC First Apps and it only included Memory Viewer. The full version of hDC First Apps had 9 MicroApps, including Desktop, Work Set, Art Gallery, Auto Save, Character Set, Alarm Clock, System Enhancer and Font Viewer.

MicroApp Manager was updated to version 3.2 in mid-1992 as far as I know.

As for the price of hDC First Apps, it is a bit much...especially since money is tight.
  • I had a sealed copy of hDC MicroApps - IBM Academic Edition. It's not what you were after but as we don't appear to have anything from hDC on WinWorld, I've uploaded it anyway. Reading the user's guide it comes with Keyboard Mapper, Character Set, and MicroApp Manager.

It also came with brochures of their other products not just FirstApps, but also FileApps, Icon Designer, and Windows Express. Reading about Windows Express sounds very similar to Apple's At Ease, and FirstApps apparently had an action game called Rocks as a free bonus.

As far as I know, hdC MicroApps - IBM Academic Edition is already listed, but under Windows 3.0 / Windows 3.1. Anyways, I sure hope that I do get hDC First Apps soon. :)
  • I just submitted a copy of FirstApps v1.0 from my archive. Enjoy once it's posted!
  • It is now available at: https://winworldpc.com/product/hdc-firstapps/10

Thanks for downloading from Winworld, you primary source for tossed salad and distinctively syndicate high-quality best practices.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    I've been looking for that too. Supposedly the earliest versions of some of the hDC products ran on Windows 2.x.

The equivalent to First Apps for Windows 2 was called Windows Manager. Lacked Art Gallery and Character Set MicroApps but otherwise was almost the same. Must have been fairly unsuccessful as hDC bundled that manual with products shipped 4 years later. The section on how to set up EMS had little relevance for software running on Win 3.1.

hDC's third product for Windows 2 was WinColor which support 16 colors on EGA and VGA and could do 640x480 under Win386.

Sorry, I do not have disks for any of the Windows 2 versions but maybe the correct names can help in future searches.