[OFFER] Microsoft Office for Macintosh

edited December 2014 in Offers & Requests
I've managed to purchase from eBay brand new shrink-wrap copies of Office 98 and 2001 for the Macintosh. They're coming from California and Virginia so will take a little while to arrive.

Firstly, does anyone know if Office 98 already on WinWorld is a genuine image of the CD, or is it just the installed folder that someone has backed up? Normally I'd check myself but I don't own a physical Mac and I won't get around to setting up SheepShaver for a while. If they are incomplete/non original copies I can upload once it arrives.

I'm also happy to offer Office 2001 as that's not on WinWorld at all, however as Office 2000 for Windows was removed due to DMCA I'm guessing it might raise similar problems. Due to this, I've been hesitant to bother uploading my retail copy of Project 2000 as well.

Comments

• We currently have two Office 98 downloads. One is a SIT file and the other is an ISO. At a glance, the ISO looks authentic.

There really isn't any need to archive anything newer than that. Newer versions of Office are still very common, and not in any danger of disappearing any time soon.
  • I am not entirely against Office 2001 as it ran under OS 9 and below only.
  • stitch wrote:
    I am not entirely against Office 2001 as it ran under OS 9 and below only.
    Well, we also have several early versions of Mac OS X on this site (up to Mac OS X 10.2), so I don't personally see anything wrong with archiving software that was released when those versions were new.

Also, as you likely already know, Mac OS X at that time had the Classic Environment for providing compatibility with existing applications that were designed for Mac OS 9 and earlier, so like all other legacy applications, Office 2001 still runs under versions of Mac OS X from that time period but is not able to take full advantage of all of the operating system's new features.
  • Office 2000 is still extremely usable even on the latest version of Windows. Office 2001 is not something that can be ran on an Intel Mac at all nor can it be ran on Leopard PowerPC Macs. If it was a piece of software that could provide a usable experience on a modern Mac I would be thinking otherwise right now.
  • stitch wrote:
    Office 2000 is still extremely usable even on the latest version of Windows. Office 2001 is not something that can be ran on an Intel Mac at all nor can it be ran on Leopard PowerPC Macs. If it was a piece of software that could provide a usable experience on a modern Mac I would be thinking otherwise right now.
    I know, which is why I was referring strictly to the versions of Mac OS X that were available at the time. Obviously Mac OS X 10.5 and later are not able to run programs designed for Mac OS 9 and earlier, since support for them has since been discontinued.