Windows 10 is crap!

edited November 2015 in Software
Windows 10 is good on desktops and laptops, but crappy on tablets! It's almost impossible to access the desktop (I need easy desktop access)! After using it for a day, I downgraded back to Windows 8.1.

Comments

• It isn't the best of OS's on desktop/laptop systems, either. I have a few things to do on Windows 10 and then I'm rolling back to 7. Thank God I didn't do a clean 10 install.
  • It's sadly quite a buggy OS, which is why I don't like it. But in potential, it's way better than 8.1 in every way possible.
  • Though I never used it, I really have no interest in it whatsoever. Although I was aware that it had bugs when it first came out and so far, our friends of Microsoft are working on them. To me it's just made solely for financial gain even with its needless gimmicks like Cortana and such, and that hideous-looking Start Menu.

I'm sticking with 7 as long as I can.
  • The only thing truly wrong is the XAML interface, which is actually a separate entity from the Win32(64)-based Windows Explorer.

That's still why I'm genuinely excited for Windows Server 16: It uses the old Win32 start menu found in early preview builds of Windows 10 instead of the XAML interface.
    Also I have a virtual machine fetish, but don't tell anybody.
  • If that's the case, is there a way to disable the XAML interface? Just curious.
  • Bry89 wrote:
    If that's the case, is there a way to disable the XAML interface? Just curious.
    No. Client 10 had it removed when Microsoft stabilized the XAML interface enough for everyday use.
    Forgot the last build that had the old menu.
  • Bry89 wrote:

I'm sticking with 7 as long as I can.
    I agree
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    hhmm..

Android-vs-Windows.jpg
    Haha, Good one TCPMeta!
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    hhmm..

Android-vs-Windows.jpg
    We all wish...

Android is about 10x more functional than Windows IMO. If a full desktop OS was built around it, maybe it could be able to kill Windows eventually.
  • garirry wrote:
    TCPMeta wrote:
    hhmm..

Android-vs-Windows.jpg
    We all wish...

Android is about 10x more functional than Windows IMO. If a full desktop OS was built around it, maybe it could be able to kill Windows eventually.

It's called Linux and it's been "killing Windows" for decades...
  • BlueSun wrote:
    I think the problem with Linux is that it's quite too overwhelming for most users, you have to use the terminal quite a lot to do many things for example (with freedom comes responsibility). If it's overwhelming to me, as a computer nerd, then a regular customer would certainly not want to use this. Keep in mind the massive lack of programs on Linux, at least for now. Not to mention the market share is currently like 2% Linux, so it certainly did not "kill" Windows. (to be fair, OS X had potential in entirely destroying Windows, but Apple went a different path, where it still succeeded, and is still more used than Linux)
  • Windows 10? I tried it and hated it. Fanboys deny that it sucks, but it actually does.

garirry wrote:
    BlueSun wrote:
    I think the problem with Linux is that it's quite too overwhelming for most users, you have to use the terminal quite a lot to do many things for example (with freedom comes responsibility). If it's overwhelming to me, as a computer nerd, then a regular customer would certainly not want to use this. Keep in mind the massive lack of programs on Linux, at least for now. Not to mention the market share is currently like 2% Linux, so it certainly did not "kill" Windows. (to be fair, OS X had potential in entirely destroying Windows, but Apple went a different path, where it still succeeded, and is still more used than Linux)

You don't need to know how to use the terminal and there are certainly many programs available for linux.
  • The only time I used Terminal was for getting updates for Debian, as well as for the upgrade process too. But back on topic, there is one thing that's in my head although may seem to early to think this... despite its flaws right now and with a handful of folk hating on it already, would Windows 10 ever dominate the market share in years time? Or maybe OS X could get the chance, who knows.
  • The marketshare between Windows and OS X has very little to do with the operating systems, it comes down to the lack of affordable machines running OS X.

Returning more or less to the subject, I can't say I give many fucks about Windows. I have successfully moved into the oh so shiny and happy Apple-world and don't really miss Windows, despite all the good years we had. I still have my gaming PC, it had Windows 10 for a couple of weeks or so while I still used it, I found the UI unpleasant and switched back to 8.1. Of course all the fuss about privacy and such also made it a bit unease experience. But in the end, the world survived Metro, it will survive Windows 10 too.

My os choice mostly depends on two things: how pleasant it is to use and how much work I have to do to make/keep it that way. Apple provides very effortless experience with the cost of hardware flexibility, and I have played around with hardware enough for now. I still have faith in Microsoft, they need to get their shit right and make Xbone work.

Perhaps in the future Nvidia steps in and steals all the pc gamers and Google grabs the remaining Windows-users? :D
  • garirry wrote:
    BlueSun wrote:
    OS X will never kill Widows unless Apple drops the price on their Computers
  • DallasCHVN wrote:
    OS X will never kill Widows unless Apple drops the price on their Computers
    Read again.
    garirry wrote:
    (to be fair, OS X HAD potential in entirely destroying Windows, but Apple went a different path, where it still succeeded, and is still more used than Linux)
    I meant that OS X could have, probably in the early 2000s, entirely destroyed Windows if Steve Jobs/Apple wanted to. That could have been done by making the computers very cheap (even the Mac Mini didn't really work out that well). They chose to go the premium route instead, and who knows, maybe it's for the best and it's what allowed OS X to stay alive.
  • I am running windows 7 and windows xp on the same computer. In windows 7 windows update want my to upgrade to windows 10. I keep saying no and hide the update that want me to upgrade. I would run Linux if i could play my online game i play. I tried it in wine on linux but wouldn't work right. I like the start button in the old version of windows. Windows 10 is good on my tablet i got. If you have a touch screen windows 8 and 10 is good for that but on a regular desktop not so good. Yes down the road we all going to have to upgrade to win 10 if we to keep getting updates and newer programs to work. I read online after this year google going to drop support for windows xp will other companies follow most likely. I just use windows xp for my old games that won't run right on windows 7. For apple os x. My friend gave my a copy of apple os 10.8 that will run on a pc but it for a intel cpu only and i have a amd cpu so it won't work. My wife hated windows 10 so much she had me downgrade her back to windows 7.
  • Bry89 wrote:
    would Windows 10 ever dominate the market share in years time? Or maybe OS X could get the chance, who knows.

Most likely, yes. Windows 10's market share will continue to rise while the other versions fall.

OS X will likely maintain its same level unless Apple has a drastic paradigm shift in which they release OS X for non-Apple hardware. I don't see that happening any time soon though.
  • DallasCHVN wrote:
    It's almost impossible to access the desktop (I need easy desktop access)!

You tap the bottom right hand corner of the screen. Voila, desktop. This is a feature that's been in windows for years now.
    Bry89 wrote:
    To me it's just made solely for financial gain

Ah yes, MS are making an absolute killing with an OS they're giving away

10 is far superior to 8, and possibly even 7. Not to mention performance is massively improved. You can moan all you want about the "spying" features (y'know, the ones you can turn off), but the minute you Google something, or go onto Facebook, you're giving away far, far more.
  • I couldn't resist on the Android joke.

The way I see things is Microsoft is still trying to join the embedded system market. You would think from Windows CE or even better the Zune they would give up. All they got is a tablet they copied everyone else with and tossed on Windows.

Microsoft is just trying to find a common foot hold since Linux is open source and Apple is releasing their newer OSes freely since after all a Mac costs more then two or three typical PCs. I hate the fact that MS is so money hungry they tossed Ads into the Win10's GUI, they could of found other ways such as a dollar a minute tech support for the novice users. I don't care it's "faster", I don't care it's "better". I care that it eats the hell out of hard drive space, bandwidth and have to wait for software developers to start supporting it.

Apple could of killed Microsoft back when Steve Jobs returned to Apple with what he brought from neXt. Instead they just road the Motorola train longer then switched to x86 as a last ditch effort. Honestly it would of been neat if Apple used the ARM architecture with their computers instead of just the iPhones and iBooks.
  • > I couldn't resist on the Android joke.

Apples, meet oranges.

> The way I see things is Microsoft is still trying to join the embedded system market. You would think from Windows CE or even better the Zune they would give up. All they got is a tablet they copied everyone else with and tossed on Windows.

Windows CE is very successful in the embedded markets. It's losing ground as hardware becomes more powerful, and Linux and NT are becoming better at real time. Zune is actually pretty nice, ruined by media perception.

As for tablets, the Microsoft implementation is a revival of the one they demoed in 2003 (and had prototypes of before.... and preceded by things like the GRiDpad) - just with the influence of Apple's school of tablets.

> Microsoft is just trying to find a common foot hold since Linux is open source and Apple is releasing their newer OSes freely since after all a Mac costs more then two or three typical PCs. I hate the fact that MS is so money hungry they tossed Ads into the Win10's GUI, they could of found other ways such as a dollar a minute tech support for the novice users. I don't care it's "faster", I don't care it's "better". I care that it eats the hell out of hard drive space, bandwidth and have to wait for software developers to start supporting it.

It's not into the GUI, it's the apps. People don't really call support anymore, especially not when it would cost money.

It's faster for sure. Windows has gotten smaller on disk space, and disk space is rapidly increasing. Bandwidth is just the bandwidth is takes to run updates, which is the same as it ever was. Software already supports it.

> Apple could of killed Microsoft back when Steve Jobs returned to Apple with what he brought from neXt. Instead they just road the Motorola train longer then switched to x86 as a last ditch effort. Honestly it would of been neat if Apple used the ARM architecture with their computers instead of just the iPhones and iBooks.

Other way around - Apple was extremely weak in the late 90s, on the brink of death. Microsoft injected cash into Apple in exchange for making IE the default browser. Apple was not ready (and did not need) for an x86 transition at the time, especially as there was performance parity.

Apple could use ARM today, but not without massive sacrifices, which is another story. (Oh, and iBooks never used ARM.)
  • BOD wrote:
    DallasCHVN wrote:
    It's almost impossible to access the desktop (I need easy desktop access)!

You tap the bottom right hand corner of the screen. Voila, desktop. This is a feature that's been in windows for years now.
    Hehe, now I feel stupid. Still hate 10 though!
  • Why people obsess with Windows 10 it have as same interface Windows 8 but with start button.
  • emmanual wrote:
    Why people obsess with Windows 10 it have as same interface Windows 8 but with start button.
    Windows 8.1 also had the start button. Windows 8 didn't
  • @DallasCHVN
    My experience with Windows 10 on my laptop so far has been total garbage...
    USB devices don't always function right, I can't turn off Windows Updates, it automatically restarts when I tell it not to, Cortana doesn't work worth shit, Skype drags things to a halt (on a Core i7-5500U and 6GB of DDR3 RAM that's impressively bad), Terminal windows' fonts are too small and cannot be zoomed in, using the touchpad is torture, if I click slightly wrong, it will zoom in on icons and as far as I know I cannot turn this off. Show windows side-by-side doesn't work very well any more, it messes things up instead of helping me organize, I can't open multiple files at once without it either locking up Windows Explorer or setting them to be the desktop background, GIFs don't work properly, and the only 5 games I play with any kind of regularly all either slow down much more than Windows 8 or don't run at all. Also, the Start Menu still needs to be fixed, I can't end unneeded tasks without being threatened that Windows will shut down in Task Manager, and the Task Manager itself looks like crap.

Overall, my experience has made me actually go and get myself a Windows XP laptop to use as my main computer instead because this is so bad. Good work, Microsoft.
  • Overall, my experience has made me actually go and get myself a Windows XP laptop to use as my main computer instead because this is so bad. Good work, Microsoft.
    Now that's really bad! That's why I'm an Ubuntu fan!
  • forced updates and built-in spying is total horsehit. that is why if i ever go back to windows, I'm just going to end up using Windows 7. Even if Windows 7 is slow at first, it can be made to go really fast.
  • dosbox wrote:
    forced updates and built-in spying is total horsehit..
    True. Linux is far better for these reasons
  • DallasCHVN wrote:
    dosbox wrote:
    forced updates and built-in spying is total horsehit..
    True. Linux is far better for these reasons
    OS X as well. Apple never spied and never will spy on any customers ever. And you have like one update a month.
This discussion has been closed.