Software Spotlight: Springboard Certificate Maker

edited September 2016 in Software Spotlights
Springboard certificate maker is a kind of cheesy little certificate printing program. 8) It can print a variety of fun and silly certificates from a collection of 200 templates.

1-ed41f81b88f17efc96a8cea52dfb2b06-Certificate%20Maker%20-%20Menu.png

https://winworldpc.com/product/springbo ... cate-maker

Certificate maker is very reminiscent of the original Print Shop, but lacks customizability and lacks the ability to preview anything on the screen.

It supports a number of monochrome and some color dot-matrix printer. Impressively, it includes a selection for the HP Laserjet, which enables compatibility with some newer PCL compatible printers.

To create a certificate, you enter the template number, some body text, signature line text, and a date, and then tell it to print.

You can not change the template's predefined title text, or any graphics. To actually see what each template looks like, you must refer to the printed manual. I've tacked on a copy of the Apple II manual (This one was from Apple2Online, but there is another at Archive.org), and the templates seem to be the same.

In all fairness, it seems the design of this program was intended for earlier 8-bit computers. There are versions for the Atari, Apple II, and Commodore 64 computers.

This IBM PC version does not appear to add or change much functionality over any other versions, but I think by 1986 people would have expected a tad more from an IBM PC program.

Still, it is a decent program to have for a vintage computer. It should run well on a 360K floppy-only PC or XT, provided you have an appropriate printer. One source claims it requires 256K of ram, but it seems like it should work with less.

Incidentally, I welcome comments on these "software spotlights". The whole purpose is just to momentarily focus on some applications that might be interesting. They are not always about newly unearthed programs - this one was floating around, but if I can get around to it I have a copy of Springboard The Newsroom for IBM PC that will probably be worth a few words.

Comments

• SomeGuy wrote:
    Incidentally, I welcome comments on these "software spotlights". The whole purpose is just to momentarily focus on some applications that might be interesting. They are not always about newly unearthed programs - this one was floating around, but if I can get around to it I have a copy of Springboard The Newsroom for IBM PC that will probably be worth a few words.

Hi,
    I have interest in "Springboard The Newsroom for IBM PC"
    In fact, I once had "Newsroom Pro". It contains 4 360K disks. But my floppy were totally broken about 10 years ago.

170046.png

Google search brings me here.
    I remember this software contains key-disk copy protection.
    Maybe you need a Copy II PC Option Board to backup it.
    Don't know what's the different between "Newsroom" and "Newsroom Pro".
    Do you also have the "Pro" version ?
    Please upload it/them, thanks a lot.

Best regard,
    coolhaken
  • Thanks for reminding me. That copy of The Newsroom sort of made its way to the bottom of my pile of things to archive. I've been busy trying to get some other manuals scanned in lately.

I seem to recall reading that the main difference between Newsroom and Newsroom Pro was the addition of some extra clipart. Not 100% sure though. Mine is not the Pro version.
  • Thanks for posing application from Springboard.

I also have a few of software by Springboard.

I have the Newsroom pro, but main disk is broken to dump.
  • ibmpc5150 wrote:
    Thanks for posing application from Springboard.
    I also have a few of software by Springboard.
    I have the Newsroom pro, but main disk is broken to dump.

I keep a cracked copy of "Newsroom Pro" in my HDD.
    If your main disk is not fully unreadable, maybe my copy can do some help fixing your dump.
    If you want it, PM me.

Best regard,
    coolhaken
  • @coolhaken

Thanks for reply.

But I only want the Newsroom Pro as untouched one.
    My disk is broken and modified by any setup related files.

P.S. Oh, I've got 1989 released version of it. (No disk copy protection and untouched disk.)
    I can upload it if you want.
  • Ok, went ahead and finished archiving Springboard: The Newsroom. It is a 1985 version on two 360k disks, and is copy protected. There wasn't that much stuff in the package, so it didn't take as long as I thought.

https://winworldpc.com/product/springbo ... sroom/1985

It also includes a small catalog that lists other titles, mostly educational and kid-oriented, from Springboard.
  • @SomeGuy

Nice work.

Yes, your version is original release with IBM PC 128KB.
    I also have original release one, but needed verification.
    (Uploaded disk images are verified as untouched ones.)

I also have Clip Arts add-on disk (2ea) too.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    Ok, went ahead and finished archiving Springboard: The Newsroom. It is a 1985 version on two 360k disks, and is copy protected. There wasn't that much stuff in the package, so it didn't take as long as I thought.

https://winworldpc.com/product/springbo ... sroom/1985

It also includes a small catalog that lists other titles, mostly educational and kid-oriented, from Springboard.

Thank you very much. :)
    To my surprise, you seem have Kryoflux and SuperCardPro and Copy II PC Option Board and maybe more. Wow !!!
    ibmpc5150 wrote:
    P.S. Oh, I've got 1989 released version of it. (No disk copy protection and untouched disk.)
    I can upload it if you want.

You are kindly. :)
    Yes, I want it. Please.

Best regard,
    coolhaken
  • @coolhaken

No problem.

I uploaded (offered) The Newsroom Pro (1989).
  • ibmpc5150 wrote:
    No problem.
    I uploaded (offered) The Newsroom Pro (1989).

Thanks.
    Uhmm... but I don't know where the download link is ?
    Can you show me it.

Best regard,
    coolhaken
  • >Uhmm... but I don't know where the download link is ?
    >Can you show me it.

I uploaded it on WinWorld.
    You must wait for it. (Approval needed)
  • I have downloaded the "Pro" version.
    Thank you very much. ibmpc5150 and SomeGuy.
    :)
  • @coolhaken

This version of 1989 is not disk copy protected version.
    I bought it as sealed package at lower price.

I'm also looking for original untouched release version with disk copy protection in 1986

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file