Updated Unofficial Windows 98 SE Service Pack

edited June 2004 in Site Issues
Did you know that the Unofficial Windows 98 SE Service Pack has been updated to version 1.2 (to download it, visit Exuberant software's website at http://exuberant.ms11.net/ ). I hope that you will update your copy too.

By the way, as you have added Games section to the download page, why not also add Games section to this forum?

Comments

• 98SE SP updated.

The games section may come, the whole games idea is an alpha/betatest now.

-Q
  • So...why are people making unofficial service packs...won't windows update do the job?
  • But you have to install like 50 patches, this does the same thing in 1 patch.

-Q
  • doesnt that service pack also update the gui to make it slightly more like windows 2000 or me and add a couple of extra features?
  • BOD wrote:
    doesnt that service pack also update the gui to make it slightly more like windows 2000 or me and add a couple of extra features?
    That'd be neat if it did. I'm not sure if it does or not.
  • Yeah it does have an updated GUI.
  • It changes the icons to the 2000 ones and renames Netwk Neighborhood to My Netwk Places.

-Q
  • Hmmm.... better than keeping it all 98-ish.
  • Well...the service pack is now 1.5, I've installed it, and yes look just like 2000. Not sure if any of the other enhancements are going to come in handy at all.
  • Interesting. So its kind of a wanna be 2000?
  • This is what 1.5 does:

What's New in 1.5?
    - 4 new hot fixes.
    - Adaptec ASPI 4.60 drivers.
    - General USB 1.x Mass Storage Device support.
    - Supports 98lite 4.7 Chubby and Overweight.
    - Visual Basic 6.0 SP6 runtime library.
    - Visual C++ 6.0 SP6 runtime libraries.
    - Updates JET 3.5 files to JET 3.5 SP3.
    - Supports custom "Program Files" directory.
    - Some additional tweaks.
    - Some major bugs are fixed70 hot fixes.

Solves 512 MB of RAM problem.
    256-color tray icons.
    Better Notepad.
    Optimized swap file usage.
    Better WDM and USB support.
    General "USB 1.x Mass Storage Device" support.
    Adaptec ASPI 4.60.1021 drivers.
    Windows Scripting Host 5.6.
    DCOM98 1.3.
    OLE Automation Libraries 2.40.4522.
    Dial-Up Networking 1.4.
    Microsoft Installer 2.0.
    Visual Basic 6.0 SP6 runtime library.
    Visual C++ 6.0 SP6 runtime libraries.
    Updates JET 3.5 files to JET 3.5 SP3.
    Supports 98lite 4.7 Chubby and Overweight.
    Windows ME desktop icons.
    Windows 2000 color scheme.
    Supports custom "Program Files" directory.
    Some performance tweaks.

Known Problems:

If you have Crystal Sound Card (CS423x), and have problem with the sound, you have to upgrade your drivers
  • Hmph... looks interesting...
  • All it does is make it look like Windows 2000... Hell, why not just GET 2000 while your at it?!
  • Yeah just get 2000.
  • Yeah, I think there in NO need in Win98. It is sucks! If you have 486 or P-1 it is better to use NT4.0 and if you CPU is P2 or higher, just install Win2000 or higher and you'll get better performance & stability.
  • Yeah, I agree with Slash. Win98 is useless if you have windows 2000.
  • Some ppl just like 98.

-Q
  • I (again) am stuck on shitstation, hopefully not for long. 2k sucked on it sometimes and even nt sucked on it. So i put 98 on cuz its ment for these kinda computers. Better than 2k and nt for some reason, expect for internet exploiter crashing a lot. but besides that, it works good.

PS: i like 98, once u get rid of the channel bar and various other shit its a good os.
  • TopherNET wrote:
    i like 98, once u get rid of the channel bar and various other shit its a good os.

You like blue screens, illegal operations, resources and constant reboots?!
  • Fish, you and I used to LOVE 98! It only gets screwed if you try to cr98clean or don't reinstall after 150 app installs/uninstalls or 1 year.

-Q
  • 98 has better support for games and old dos apps. 2k and nt don't like them. the one thing i hat about nt versions is that you have ton enter a passsowrd to log on it much faster if you don't enter a password. but BSoD's suck........
  • 98 takes longer to start in total, in my opinion. There's an option to auto-login in 2000. I have that turned on at my parent's PC.
  • Theres a program to do that in Windows NT.

98 actually loads fast if you got a FAT32 drive. I got it on a MMX/233 with 96M RAM with a FAT16 drive and its OK, but I converted it to FAT32. It boots in like 10 seconds
  • Hmph. Well, my parents had been going for like 3 or 4 years. It was a Cele 400, we got it new, and it had never been reformatted. There was a million things running on startup. It took like at least 10 minutes for it to be ready and waiting. At least it felt like that.
  • 98 or 98SE? 98SE runs slower, yet more stable when I use it as to 98FE runs faster yet least stable when I use it.

I had 98 going for a good 10 days until it started to get all slow.
  • edited June 2004
    LOL. I'm really not sure which it was. Thinking FE, not sure though. I don't remember it saying SE...

I had my P4 on XP Pro desktop up for 10 3/4 days, until this morning when I had to unplug it to move things around. My 2000 Server system has also been up for 10 days, 19 hours, 44 minutes!

I'm doing pretty well, let's see how long they can keep it up.
  • i had a computer with 95b that i left on for about 3 weeks
  • BOD wrote:
    i had a computer with 95b that i left on for about 3 weeks

What happened?
  • On my virtual pc 98first runs much slower than 98se. I don't know why...
  • Becuase VPC is slow