New Admin: ampharos

edited February 2017 in News & Announcements
In mention of my 2017 new years post one of the new admins is ampharos (calvin on IRC). He has quite a bit of *nix knowledge and basic HTML/PHP which will make him extremely useful in a infrastructure role. In addition this will help offload some of the library work that is currently being handled entirely by SomeGuy. I am working with him with some of my current ideas that would be ideal to have implemented, soliciting further assistance with the work I have already been doing, so we can get the new forums launched quicker and get some of the quirks out of the website. As we look towards expanding our library onboarding additional trustworthy hands for doing the work that's quickly piling up, will help us be further realistic of our growing goals.

Let's take a moment to congratulate ampharos for this new promotion!

Comments

• Congrats! When it comes to software archival, Winworld really only scratches the surface. There is a seemingly infinite stream of software. And it doesn't get any easier when dealing with the more obscure stuff.

Feel free to ask about any archival question. The best way to contact me is via PM. I don't normally do IRC, but if a "meeting" is ever needed, just let me know.
  • Obviously know none of your personally, but seeing ampharos over the last couple of years on WinWorld I say congrats and is a good fit to the admin team.

On a side note, while I'm not of any help in the web development space I'd like to put my hand up if you'll want someone at some stage to help out with the non-technical content (i.e. screenshots, testing uploads, etc.)
  • To maintain prosperity of WinWorld, I also welcome and say congratulation.
  • Congrats on being blessed with the red name, good sir ;)
  • Congrats man!
  • Congrats!
    Not sure if this is the right place but anyways... wanna suggest a new feature: I'd like WinWorldPC to have it's own image hosting service for use in forum. Because now we have to use some sort of crappy free image host which deletes the image after a month or so and no one can see those images any more.
  • Because now we have to use some sort of crappy free image host which deletes the image after a month or so and no one can see those images any more.
    Use Imgur.
  • Because now we have to use some sort of crappy free image host which deletes the image after a month or so and no one can see those images any more.
    Use Imgur.
    Imgur is doing some pretty shady shit, trying to put users off hotlinking and questionable ads. Use postimage imo.
  • 1607 wrote:
    Imgur is doing some pretty shady shit, trying to put users off hotlinking and questionable ads. Use postimage imo.
    There is nothing wrong with Imgur. For me it has been the most reliable image hosting service, as most others would somehow break the hotlink.
  • Most recently, I've been using:

https://postimage.org/

..which I see just now has changed to:

https://postimage.io/

I don't know what the "life" is for storage time: I have been using them for the last couple of months for no particular reason, except that there is no adverts (yet) or complicated steps to upload/get link.

I agree with others who suggest WW have such capabilities: those good souls who take the time to post screenshots, etc, - those images ought to be preserved for posterity (beyond the images that WW kindly provides with some of the downloads).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file