Help on memory

edited June 2004 in Hardware
Could someone help me establish what type of ram I need from the following information from the manual ?

Memory
The mainboard provides 2 sockets for 168-pin unbuffered SDRAM DIMM {Double In-line memory module} modules and supports the momory size up to 1 GB. The socket supports 256MB technology.

Supports S/D {single side/double side}

The bus is 133.

Comments

• Just plain 133MHz SDRAM. You can have up to 256 in each socket, for a total of 512 MB.
  • Ermm.... Thump....this doesnt match up right...

2 sockets at a max of 256M each....thats 512M Max.

The manual says 1GB.

Maby it means each socket supports 512M....most do now-a-days. Somtimes it doesnt, my 400MHz says 128M per socket when I put in a 256M DIMM.
  • Thump wrote:

Memory
    The mainboard provides 2 sockets for 168-pin unbuffered SDRAM DIMM {Double In-line memory module} modules and supports the momory size up to 1 GB. The socket supports 256MB technology.

Supports S/D {single side/double side}

The bus is 133.

Yeah just use SD-RAM... but that part about 1gb and 256mb max doesn't seem right.
  • Hmm... I missed that. I just read that my P4 desktop can only hold a max of 512, over 2 slots. It could be the same here. Apparently the manufacturer isn't sure, either.
  • Yeah IBMWarpster, that's confusing.
    There was more but I got tired of trying to read it and type.
    Each socket supports 32-512 MBS. The total ram can be one gig.
    But I don't know why it says it uses 256 MBS technology.
    I usually check what ram is needed at Crucial but don't buy from them anymore since they sent me a bad ram. They don't have a listing for Microtel.
    At Walmart online it says my Sysmark 746 has 1.2 Gig Processor and I have 1.4 - I was afraid to try what it said because of the differences.
    You, IBMWarpster said to someone that you thought mine needed DDR ram so I didn't know.
    Thump
  • Hmph.... well can you look at the ram in it? Is the pin area divided into 2 or 3 sections? It's 2 for DDR, 3 for SD-RAM, right guys?
  • Well SurfinSHELL23,
    I may have to take it apart again to see for sure and I was hoping to avoid that or I guess I could pull the ram and read whatever I could on it.
    The manual says:
    "The DIMM slot has 2 notch keys 'VOLT and DRAM'.
    Was that what you were talking about?
    Thump
  • edited June 2004
    Hmmm... not sure. I'll find an image for you.

DDR RAM: Notice the pins are split into 2 portions on the bottom edge.
    ram-512ddr3200ecc-n-unit.jpg

SDRAM: Notice the pins are split into 3 portions on the bottome edge.
    RAM-16X64PC133-N-4-unit.jpg
  • Thump wrote:
    The mainboard provides 2 sockets for 168-pin unbuffered SDRAM DIMM

He said it right there.
  • I posted the images because he heard from Warp or someone that his machine took DDR, but was getting conflicting reports. If he doesn't mind opening it up, that's the only real surefire way to tell.
  • edited June 2004
    I believe you mean this:

* Supports four memory banks using 168iping unbuffered DIMM
    * Supports a maximum memory size of 1GB (256MB DRAM technology)
    * Supports 3.3V SDRAM DIMM

The slots arent the memory banks. If your going to be using 1GB, make sure its double sided RAM and it will work just fine.
  • Hmph... well I just wanted to be sure, so I posted the images. I think Warp is confusing matters...
  • IBMWarpster and I were discussing my computer and he said the right thing "Ram it". I explained that I wanted to test it some first and that memory was high. He said "DDR ram is expensive tho."
    Then someone asked him why he said that and he told them he thought mine took DDR.
    That was enough to make me want to check.
    I think I will pull the ram that's in it and examine it but I'm working on something right now so I'll wait until I'm done.
    If I knew for sure I could have went ahead and ordered it.
    I'm going to wait until I finish what I'm doing first 'cause I don't want to take a chance on messing it up right now.
    Thump
  • OK. Sounds like a great plan!

We'll be awaiting the results!
  • Yeah... we'll be waiting..
  • I got no idea why yours takes SDR and mine takes DDR. FishNET's takes DDR.

But Microtel DOES use different mainboards/brands in each PC, so consider that.
  • No matter what you all say, banks are not the same as slots :P Theres two banks per slot :P
  • Are there 1024MB SDRAM modules ?
  • Probly not, most systems use DDR now
  • Slash wrote:
    Are there 1024MB SDRAM modules ?

Nope, they're in DDR.
  • Slash wrote:
    Are there 1024MB SDRAM modules ?

Not that I know of.
  • 1 bank = 1 slot, unless you have a 64Bit machine, then 1 bank = 2 slots.

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    1 bank = 1 slot, unless you have a 64Bit machine, then 1 bank = 2 slots.

-Q

Hah! It's almost like SIMM modules. 1 bank - one slot (on 486) 1 bank - 2 slots (on Pentium)!
  • thats becuase they used matched pair SIMMs. Unlike DIMM's now a days which are basically 1 bank on one DIMM. becuase almost like 2 SIMMs in 1.
  • OK Everyone, you CANNOT try to argue with this:

Tomchu85 (4:23:46 PM): uhh ... tell them four banks = 2 slots = divided by 1 GB = 512 MB per slot
    FishNET 3 0 0 0 (4:24:07 PM): k
    Tomchu85 (4:24:09 PM): and 256 MB DRAM technology should actually read 256 Mbit DRAM technology
    Tomchu85 (4:24:10 PM): because
    Tomchu85 (4:24:11 PM): each stick
    Tomchu85 (4:24:14 PM): has 8 chips per side
    Tomchu85 (4:24:18 PM): 8 * 256 Mbits = 256 MB :-)
    Tomchu85 (4:24:26 PM): so it supports 256 Mbits chips
    Tomchu85 (4:24:36 PM): 2 sided stick = 16 chips * 256 Mbit = 512 MB
    Tomchu85 (4:24:40 PM): x 2 slots = 1024 MB
  • Yeah, but thats for a server and it cost as much as a PC with 512Mb

• Oh. Only $880. I'll have to get a few of those.

That's quite rare. I had never seen one in any computer catalog.
  • OK Everyone, you CANNOT try to argue with this:

Tomchu85 (4:23:46 PM): uhh ... tell them four banks = 2 slots = divided by 1 GB = 512 MB per slot
    FishNET 3 0 0 0 (4:24:07 PM): k
    Tomchu85 (4:24:09 PM): and 256 MB DRAM technology should actually read 256 Mbit DRAM technology
    Tomchu85 (4:24:10 PM): because
    Tomchu85 (4:24:11 PM): each stick
    Tomchu85 (4:24:14 PM): has 8 chips per side
    Tomchu85 (4:24:18 PM): 8 * 256 Mbits = 256 MB :-)
    Tomchu85 (4:24:26 PM): so it supports 256 Mbits chips
    Tomchu85 (4:24:36 PM): 2 sided stick = 16 chips * 256 Mbit = 512 MB
    Tomchu85 (4:24:40 PM): x 2 slots = 1024 MB

He also added:

Tomchu85 (4:29:32 PM): but really, tell them to research dram technology and mbits if they don't believe it
    Tomchu85 (4:29:33 PM): lol
    Tomchu85 (4:29:50 PM): the fact alone that it says it supports 1 GB should be enough
  • edited June 2004
    Becuase SDR is old. When SDR was used none used more than 512M chips. (IE 2x 512M chips = 1HN) in which 1GB was waaaay more t han enough back then.

Like, take 2GB DDR, they arent around becuase noone uses more than 1GB chips (1GB x 2 =2GB) in which 2GB is faaaaaar more than enough today.

~IBM