Help on memory

Comments

• The real test is opening it up and seeing.

How many slots are there?

What kind of RAM is it?

That's really the only way to be sure.
  • OK Everyone, you CANNOT try to argue with this:

Tomchu85 (4:23:46 PM): uhh ... tell them four banks = 2 slots = divided by 1 GB = 512 MB per slot
    FishNET 3 0 0 0 (4:24:07 PM): k
    Tomchu85 (4:24:09 PM): and 256 MB DRAM technology should actually read 256 Mbit DRAM technology
    Tomchu85 (4:24:10 PM): because
    Tomchu85 (4:24:11 PM): each stick
    Tomchu85 (4:24:14 PM): has 8 chips per side
    Tomchu85 (4:24:18 PM): 8 * 256 Mbits = 256 MB :-)
    Tomchu85 (4:24:26 PM): so it supports 256 Mbits chips
    Tomchu85 (4:24:36 PM): 2 sided stick = 16 chips * 256 Mbit = 512 MB
    Tomchu85 (4:24:40 PM): x 2 slots = 1024 MB

He also added:

Tomchu85 (4:29:32 PM): but really, tell them to research dram technology and mbits if they don't believe it
    Tomchu85 (4:29:33 PM): lol
    Tomchu85 (4:29:50 PM): the fact alone that it says it supports 1 GB should be enough

Look people, Thump CAN have 1GB in his system. Lets not clutter this with shit untill he actually gets to see it and can realize that hes safe.
  • DUDE! the manual says SDR, its SDR. Just go get a 256M stick of SDR and your fine
  • Why don't we just let him open it up, and await his findings?
  • OK
    I took it out and it said:
    BUFFALO
    PC133 16x16 - 128M
    128MB 133MHz CL3 non-ECC

and it had two slots like SurfinSHELL23's second picture.

I put it back and when I push the button for it to come on nothing happens. The power cord is hooked up fine.
    I thought at least something would happen even if the ram wasn't seated properly.
    Oh well.
    Thump
  • Thump wrote:
    OK
    I took it out and it said:
    BUFFALO
    PC133 16x16 - 128M
    128MB 133MHz CL3 non-ECC

and it had two slots like SurfinSHELL23's second picture.

I put it back and when I push the button for it to come on nothing happens. The power cord is hooked up fine.
    I thought at least something would happen even if the ram wasn't seated properly.
    Oh well.
    Thump

No RAM = no boot :P

ANyway, 2 missing peices means the more common SDR... And YES, you *CAN* have 1GB in there.
  • I took it back apart and checked the ram and it seemed to be seated fine.
    Still won't boot.
    I took it out, examined it and found nothing wrong, put it back in.
    And just like before I felt it seat and it closed the latches.
    Still won't boot.
    Did I kill it?
    Try putting in the other slot? It's in the one it was in when I first took it out.
    Thump
  • Just trying making sure all contacts are clean. You shouldn't have killed it. Unplug the PC for a bit, too, if you haven't already.
  • I plugged the power cord in another hole. No good.
    I swapped power cords. No good.
    I tried to push the ram in some more but it won't go any further.
    I pushed it in as hard as I could with one hand and clicked the button
    with the other hand. No good.
    Stumped.
    Thump
  • Try a different slot...
  • Thanks FishNET3000
    I waited for someone to tell me to because it's never worked for me before. Cnanging now.
    Thump
  • No it didn't work.
    I put it back in the original slot, still don't work.
    It makes just a slight noise now when I try it.
    It seems like it trys to power up and quits
    Thump
  • I got out the stick of ram {128} I got from Crucial that didn't fit whatever I got it for and it looked just like SurfinSHELL23's second picture.
    I needed one at the time that looked like his first picture.
    I put it in the extra slot and kept the stick that come with it in the original slot. Still won't boot.
    Thump
  • Hmm.....

This may sound dumb, but are you sure you arent putting it i backwards.

Try Slot0 when your only using 1 DIMM. Some mainboards are picky and they search on Slot0, then slot1 and so on.
  • Hello IBMWarpster
    This may sound dumber but not absolutely.
    If I had it wrong it shouldn't go in with a good solid click I think.
    I thought the sticker was on top when I took it out.

No it won't go in the other way.
    Thump
  • Well....if you tried Slot0 (first slot) and it doesnt work...I dont know what to say. Considering thats the factory RAM.
  • Yes IBMWarpster,
    It's in the original slot now which is the first one so I guess slot0
    I've got the other stick in I guess slot1.
    I don't know either, I checked all the connections, nothing is visibly wrong anywhere.
    Thanks a lot. It's beer thirty. If you have a brain rush tonight please let me know in the morning.
    After I start drinking I could only make it worse.
    Thump
  • Hey speaking of ram. I decided to take a peak at my system info and was a bit dissapointed. I have PC3200 DDR ram which should run at 400MHz right? Well I have two 256MB sticks. They were installed by Dell and came with the system. Today I was surprised to find that they were only running at 200Mhz... According to PC wizard 2004 I have an Intel 82875P chipset with E7210 memory controller hub. Which seems to be running at 200Mhz. My bus speed is running at 800MHz but my ram is only running at half it's speed....anyone have any ideas on why and how I can put it to 400mhz?
  • thats becuase your mainboard is set to make them run at 200MHz. I got 400MHz DDR yet they are running at 266MHz...thats just because they're set ti run at that speed.
  • But still...I want my ram running at it's max speed damnit...
  • I want to thank everyone who helped and especially IBMWarpster who stayed with me and helped me try to troubleshoot.

The machine is back up and running and the extra stick of ram I found while I was working on it is good and now I've got 256 MBS ram.
    128 free.

I've got one more question: The new ram is 100 bus speed instead of 133. Is that alright? The machine can take either one but will the 100 bus slow me down?

Thump
  • Well, I use SD-RAM, and I have:

256 MB PC133 - Slot 0

128 MB PC100 - Slot 1

The PC100 RAM is overclocking itself to 133 MHz, haven't had any problems.

~Duff
  • Thump wrote:
    I've got one more question: The new ram is 100 bus speed instead of 133. Is that alright? The machine can take either one but will the 100 bus slow me down?

Yes. RAM running at 100MHz is 33MHz slower than RAM running at 133MHz.
  • 100 mhz won't slow you down that much.
  • Yse it will

The depends on the BIOS the BIOS will either run both at 100MHz OR overclock the one and run both at 133MHz.

Like my BIOS just run the RAM at the speed of the slowest stick which is 266MHz, in which both are. But I can choose the RAM speed, so I c ould make it run higher.
  • Hmm... well I don't notice the speed difference.
  • Thump wrote:
    I want to thank everyone who helped and especially IBMWarpster who stayed with me and helped me try to troubleshoot.

The machine is back up and running and the extra stick of ram I found while I was working on it is good and now I've got 256 MBS ram.
    128 free.

Thump

Well, you got 2 options.

1) Tell the BIOS to run both at 100MHz. This is recemended so you dont overclock the one.

2) Run both at 133MHz which is probly what they are now making the PC100 overclock to 13.
  • I really don't know my speeds. Whatever works, works. :-)

I'd say to just overclock it. You could add an expansion slot fan to the system, if you really wanted to.
  • Fans wont help overclocking RAM. For RAM, you use RAM coolers, but thats its ONLY 33MHz :-P
  • The plot thickens.
    The stick of ram was rated at 100 MHZ bus but Crucial rerated it at 133 with it's own sticker. Don't buy ram from Crucial !
    It's definately running 25% slower on little things and is running at about 75% of it's potential. On bigger operations it beats what I had before with just the 128. I think I'll keep it a while because I needed the extra ram more than I need the faster bus.
    Thump