Windows 3.11 on a single 1.44 MB bootable FLOPPY DISK!!!

edited March 2017 in Software
So a while ago i found this strange german site (i am not german) that had a download link for floppy disk version of windows 3.11. It actually required me to have an account to download it, so i signed up. I tested it on virtual box
and it was a very slimmed down version made by china dos union (the same company who made dos 7.1) . BUT What's cool, is that it also included ms dos 7.1 on the floppy disk image. So you don't need dos installed.
Here's how it looks: (DOWNLOAD LINK AT THE BOTTOM)

o921ady2e21cuxqzg.jpg

rfcp69yhd77ax1dzg.jpg

mjeaayaqtiw5enwzg.jpg

Download link: https://www.mediafire.com/?8xmdb0raom35ky3

Comments

• Interesting, but that would remove a lot of stuff you might actually need.
  • I've played with putting Windows 3.x on a floppy before. I usually start from MINI.CAB on a 9x installer, and then add what I want from there. If you use PKUNZIP (or the smaller JR variant) and a RAM disk, you can fit quite a bit on there. I'd try again to see if I could fit say, Trumpet Winsock and a packet driver onto it.
  • It would be a great idea if you are interested on this to put it as a download under the windows 3.11 tab. As you are the admin
  • We don't need hackjobs here. This is a hackjob and provides no benefit to the community.
  • Ok sorry im new i didn't know that
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    We don't need hackjobs here. This is a hackjob and provides no benefit to the community.
    Well, not entirely true...
    This is from the "about" section by the way:
    In addition to aiding young geeks like us, we also aim to help people in less fortunate circumstances, who may not have the resources or means to acquire modern hardware and software.
    Less fortunate circumstances might include not having a hard drive or CD-ROM drive.
    Just saying.
    [Sorry if this violates any rules that I am unaware of.]

Yes, the mini.cab file in the Win9x CDs was awesome, and I would get a small NTFS driver for MS-DOS/Windows 3.x and put it on the floppy disk, which would result in the best recovery thing-y ever.
    Edit: No, it shouldn't be added to the Windows 3.x section, but uploaded somewhere else on this site.
  • If we collected custom boot disks we could easily have a collection of 100,000 and the important ones would get lost.

Any custom items here need to provide a justified benefit to the community. This is why we have the CDU MS-DOS "7.1" CD, because some people genuinely need to install a DOS environment without a floppy and without pulling updates and components from 100 different sources.

This Windows 3.11 boot disk would have made an interesting novelty back around 2005. But "modern" machines don't have floppy drives, increasingly won't boot USB floppies or DOS, lack PS/2 mice or keyboard emulation, and so on. VM/Emulators are not limited to floppy images. And people restoring an earlier computer would have more pressing concerns such as bootable diagnostics or installation media.

Please feel free to make a case for this or other custom disks. I could easily be overlooking some use that is important to others. But at the same time, we can't just add things willy-nilly.
  • So, if I'm using this floppy image in DOSBox, does it require that I have a CD image mounted using DOSBox's imgmount command or a CD in my physical drive when I mount it using DOSBox's mount command? Because when I run "boot -l a" after mounting this floppy image, I get:
    Error: No CD-ROM drives detected at all.
    Error: Device driver aborts loading.
    and then the process just refuses to do anything else.