Pre-Winds 95 PS/2 keyboards.

edited April 2017 in Hardware
It seems everything should be fine with my 486 desktop on thursday, and if the modem works out, I'll buy a 3.1 compatible later on.

The current keyboard I am suing connects with PS/2 and has a Windows button.

Of course, I need a keyboard which is PS/2 but doesn't have a windows button, and no, I don't want to pay big bucks for a Model M, just any old PS/2 keyboard from before Windows 95 (without the windows button) will do, but I am having trouble finding any.

Comments

• Model M was the best. Aside from the original keyboard that came with my 486, I have not come across any PS/2s without Windows keys. As much as I hate to say it, your best bet would be to scour eBay. You're bound to find generic PS/2 keyboards from ~1994 and back.
  • Does it have to be PS/2? Many PCs up to the Pentium just used an AT connector instead. As I only has some earlier Microsoft keyboards in PS/2, I bought cheaply some PS/2 to AT converters as effectively the cabling is the same and my 486 only has AT on the motherboard.

You could always ask this guy you're getting the 486 from and offer a cash top up maybe.
  • well, I certinaly hope it is ps/2 because I promised my mom that if she helps me with the price of the 486, I won't buy any more computer stuff until June.

She is reasonable though, so if I explain that I need a keyboard that works wit the machine, that should be ok.
  • Keep your current keyboard in service until you find what you're looking for. Don't buy some piece of trash just because it doesn't have those two keys. Save up your money and buy one without logo keys in good condition.
  • BigCJ wrote:
    Keep your current keyboard in service until you find what you're looking for. Don't buy some piece of trash just because it doesn't have those two keys. Save up your money and buy one without logo keys in good condition.

I will guy said he has a DIN to PS/2 converter he will throw in. The connection on the motherboard is DIN but he said he has the converter for PS/2.
  • What year was the system made? My 486 from '95 (which you've inspired me to box up and get running again) only has PS/2 style connectors.
  • BigCJ wrote:
    What year was the system made? My 486 from '95 (which you've inspired me to box up and get running again) only has PS/2 style connectors.

I do not know, but the BIOS says 94-95, so either the BIOS was updated, or the system is form 95. Never the less, it has DIN for keyboard, no ps/2 for mouse either, so I have to use a serial mouse (which I already have working with 3.1 anyways).
  • My BIOS reads 1993, they don't update the copyright every year. Weird that there are no PS/2 ports. What brand was it again?
  • I don't know what brand the motherboard is.
  • I meant the system as a whole. Unless it's just that generic, it'll have some kind of brand on the outside of the case.
  • Not a very good shot of the case. 16Mb of RAM and an 80MHz processor, it would run WFW3.11 or Win95 in fine style. Nice buy.