HDD failing?

edited August 2017 in Hardware
Recently I noticed that my HDDs "Uncorrectable sector count" is at 144, "Read error rate" is increasing extremely fast(sometimes 1 milion in a second) and "Seek error rate" also grows fast, "command timeout" is also extremely high and going up, over 17.000.000.000. My HDD also tends to make constant noise when running, and sometimes it happens that the PC won't boot up at all(blank screen), I also sometimes get BSOD randomly(I checked and it\s not driver/software related, nor mobo/PSU related). Is it failing?

Comments

• It probably is. Don't hesitate, run backups ASAP and the drive for the minimum amount of time.
  • I recommend to refer this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8723&hilit=CrystalDiskInfo

I think your HDD seems to be bad, so you should check HDD status by CrystalDiskInfo or another HDD diagnostic program.
  • 1501407563.or.49466.png

This is what I get.
  • I'd assume the worse, it's failing.
    If it's continuously seeking even when idling, and blue-screening for no reason...
    Especially if it won't boot at times.

If you think the drive is failing the best thing to do is keep running it, going further into the ground?
    No. Pull out the drive, backup your data while its still possible and move on.

This is my drive for comparison:
    yXCstY7.png
    I do see the CRC errors, amount hasn't changed in 4 years and not to mention it was a bad cable.

Often times, the high values are incorrect and depend on the program and drive used.

And a 10 year-old drive with "healthy" numbers:
    JchatgM.png

Your drive does not compare favorably with mine.

If you want fast, I assume since you have a 7.2K, get an ssd.
  • ovctvct wrote:
    1501407563.or.49466.png

This is what I get.

Yep, you have to replace that drive soon. Like yourepicfailiure said, replace the drive with an SSD. It may be more expensive, but the faster speeds are worth every penny.

Unrelated question: How did you get rounded window corners in your Windows 8?
  • HDD sentinel reports 26% health and 107 days remaining life for this. Since this is my main and only HDD I am going to get a SSD to replace it, and hopefully it will last longer than this HDD(it's 3.5 years old). But SSDs are still expensive, currently I cannot get one bigger than 256GB.
  • ovctvct wrote:
    Since this is my main and only HDD I am going to get a SSD to replace it, and hopefully it will last longer than this HDD(it's 3.5 years old). But SSDs are still expensive, currently I cannot get one bigger than 256GB.
    If your data takes less than 256GB then there's no reason not to get an SSD, if you want to improvise it's possible to have dual-drive setups by using a small SSD for your OS and an inexpensive but larger hard drive for data, I'd still get a new drive either way because your current one isn't going to last long, do you have a way of backing up your data?
  • >ovctvct

You need at least two hard drives(or 1 disk and one suitable other medium). For main use and backups to be safe.

Not having a system of keeping and maintaining backups is asking for trouble.
    A decent 500GB external should be sufficient for backing up most if not all your data.
    At best, it will not set you back half as much as a quality internal drive.
    Let's hope this is an eye-opening learning experience for you ovctvct in your wonderful computer adventure- the lesson of maintaining backup mediums because nothing is perfect.

I hope I'm not the only person with a drawer full of hard disks that are all being used for storage...
  • I've already backed up my data, esp. after seeing "delayed write errors" recently and files getting corrupt. I'm currently decided to buy the samsung evo 850 256 GB SSD which fits my budget pretty well.