Welcome to the New World Order of WinBoards

edited October 2017 in News & Announcements

As you may have noticed, WinBoards is not only back, but completely different; yet weirdly, the data is (mostly) still there. We've changed the forums over to Vanilla, which I think is a lot more elegant, (even if the dev community is smaller) and allows for embedding into the product pages; and those comments will appear on a category here. You can use Markdown for comments instead of BBcode, so your markup isn't some 20th century annoyance to write in. Single-sign on was done as well, so you new members can sign on no problem, and old members will have to complete the binding process by using their old boards password pre-changeovers. (If you need that reset, ask, and we can arrange it.)

The import went shockingly smooth, considering how notoriously janky moving the highly corrupt WW database was before. However, there's still a lot of janky shit going on.

• SSO UI can be quirky; I need to fix redirects.

• Outgoing mail for notifications and such is another work in progress.

Comments

• _1. Neat! It looks good. _ :)

• Awesome, welcome back to the new WinBoards.

• Yay! I really wanted the forums back! Thanks calvin!

• SSO flow should be nicer now for login, at least.

• Not bad. Layout looks nice, although it would be nice if I could collapse or hide that stuff on the left. Now I'm going to have to learn the ins and outs of a whole nother forum system :P

• [b]Glad to have the forums back![/b] This is going to take some getting used to. I miss the old colors and it kind of feels like I'm commenting on an article instead of using a forum. I dunno how I feel about this yet, but I'll give it a chance.

• @nick99nack said:
    [b]Glad to have the forums back![/b] This is going to take some getting used to. I miss the old colors and it kind of feels like I'm commenting on an article instead of using a forum. I dunno how I feel about this yet, but I'll give it a chance.

Yep. It's a change, but a change for the better.

• edited October 2017

I personally don't like the new layout and my avatar seems to be gone. also, I can't mark any forum sections as being read

edit: never mind, I can mark forum sections as read

• @dosbox said:
    I personally don't like the new layout and my avatar seems to be gone

Avatars being missing are a result of a miscommunication between Vanilla and the DB.

• Well, at least the forum is back

• Yeah, I'm just glad the site is back, even if the new layout is rather simple.

• edited October 2017

Looks nice. One thing that was strange was that when I connected my forum account to the SSO account, it asked me to enter my old password (the one I had before I changed it).

• Great to see WinBoards is back. I've been viewing VCF to get my daily fix, but no substitute for WinBoards.

• @Erito17 said:
    Looks nice. One thing that was strange was that when I connected my forum account to the SSO account, it asked me to enter my old password (the one I had before I changed it).

Yes, this is to verify that you are in fact the same. I'm considering turning AutoConnect on to skip it.

• Whoa...
    Well... this is different...
    in a good way.
    Haven't seen stitch anywhere, were is the ol' coughgrouchcough anyway?

• Just seen this... good to see it back online but, going to take a while to get used to this, I mean a long while. Good to see you guys also too :) Best of luck with the rest of the new site! :blush:

• Is there any way to edit posts? Because if there is, I can't find it...

• You only have an hour to edit posts...
    there is a gear (for settings) on you posts.

• One thing I need to add here... how do you make a new thread there? I've been trying to look to no avail. Thanks.

• "New Discussion"

• Oh god... I feel dumb right now for not seeing that sooner. Thanks a bunch :P

• To anyone experiencing "invalid signature" problems with SSO, I think I might have fixed it.

• Is there a way for a user to hide avatars completely? I personally do not want to see them.

• i prefer the old version, but this is still pretty cool.

will you bring the old starry background back?

• Welcome back everyone! That was really fast!

• Woohoo! Very nice work calvinb and crew. Thanks for all of your hard work!

• Glad your back ☺☺☺

• @Pluto said:
    i prefer the old version, but this is still pretty cool.

The Geniuses are working on it as we speak...

• @HorseBatteryStaple said:

@Pluto said:
    i prefer the old version, but this is still pretty cool.

The Geniuses are working on it as we speak...

have patience minions

• I miss the black interface. :) Does look nice though.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file