New PC in 7 Years

Over the course of a few months I went to purchase hardware in batches. Partly due to changing jobs more often than normal this year. Finally the last few parts were received last night, so spent the night putting it together. I'm currently just going through the long process of installing games and applications.

The last several years I wasn't generally compelled to upgrade, though coming from an i5-2500K the timing felt right now with 8-core processors, DDR4, and M.2 SSDs gaining traction.

Here's the specs:
Corsair Carbide Clear 600C Inverse Case
ASUS ROG Strix X370-F Motherboard (X370 chipset, up to 64 GB RAM support, 8x SATA3, 3x PCI-E 3.0 x 16, Aura RGB)
6 GB ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1060 OC (Aura RGB which synchronises with the motherboard)
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3,200 MHz DDR4
ASUS Blu-Ray Burner
CoolerMaster MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Cooler (massive heatsink)
WD 4 TB Black HDD
Samsung 250GB M.2 SSD (3,200 MB/s read, 1,500 MB/s write speeds)
Seasonic 760W XP-760 80 Plus Platinum rated PSU

Pricing was a little over $3,500 AUD. SLI and 32 GB RAM was considered though pricing was getting a bit much given the cost already. 6 GB graphics seemed to be the sweet spot, as 8 GB saw a large jump in pricing as well. Originally I was opting for a 2 TB drive, though 4 TB proved to be better value overall for storing games, music, and downloads. I'm likely to move my 2 TB drive from my old PC into it as well.

The only thing left to figure out is connecting the case's fan speed controller switch to the motherboard. In theory, it sounds easy though I haven't seen the right plug, and there's 3 cables for it.

Comments

• WHOA.
    It sure beats a stock IBM x31 type 2885!

• @HorseBatteryStaple said:
    WHOA.
    It sure beats a stock IBM x31 type 2885!

Heh. You gawking all over those powerful computers.

• Whats so funny?
    My family is really poor!
    Currently no-one has a job, and not for lack of trying!

• Had you lived near me, I would have been happy to give away my Intel Core 2 board with some other parts. Bit of a shame as it would have been a reasonable upgrade.

Gotta say, GTA 5 looks and plays amazingly on maximum settings.

• @HorseBatteryStaple said:
    Whats so funny?
    My family is really poor!
    Currently no-one has a job, and not for lack of trying!

HOLY SH*T! My bad bro! Any way I could help?

• edited December 2017

Not really...
    I guess 2016/17 is just a really bad year!
    Anyway, to lighten the mood a bit here, I will tell of a recent experiment.
    I think I have confirmed The Universe does not like Bing Crosby!
    I bought a Crosby '78 a year ago, it broke.
    I bought one 9, 6, and 3 months ago, and they broke.
    I bought on yesterday, and it broke.
    I spent like $1.25 on this experiment.

• edited December 2017

@thinkpadman said:
    Had you lived near me, I would have been happy to give away my Intel Core 2 board with some other parts. Bit of a shame as it would have been a reasonable upgrade.

Gotta say, GTA 5 looks and plays amazingly on maximum settings.

Can you ship it?
    I need a test dummy computer.

• I'm from Australia, so shipping wouldn't be worth it.