Windows Neptune Build 5111

Comments

• edited November 2017

There is a slightly modified copy floating around online that has the time Bomb removed.

• Like the evaluation copy date?

• edited November 2017

@Winworldpc Fan 9000 said:
    Like the evaluation copy date?

No. Like there isn’t an expiration date on the copy I found online (can install regardless of BIOS date), not from here of course. Same with a couple mods of Longhorn 4074, one of which has working Aero glass.

• Does anyone know which service is broken?

• @WinCollector said:
    Does anyone know which service is broken?

It is a broken still image service is trying to startup before the Explorer shell does. It only occurs on first startup, otherwise it boots fine.

And yes, the mod that has surfaced does not require a product key and has no timebomb.

• Does not work on my vm its an install loop.

Heres details:

Name: Windows Neptune
    Memory size: 128MB
    File size: 768MB

Dats all..for now.

• @YourOldComputer98 said:
    Does not work on my vm its an install loop.

Heres details:

Dats all..for now.

The same with Windows 2000, but only on Virtualbox.

• @WinCollector said:

@YourOldComputer98 said:

Heres details:

Dats all..for now.

Yeah... I heard that its something wrong with IDE.

• What about Build 5000?

• @JonathonWyble said:
    What about Build 5000?

That build is likely fake. Build 5111 is the only leaked one that is real.

• @YourOldComputer98 said:

@WinCollector said:

@YourOldComputer98 said:

Heres details:

Dats all..for now.

Hmm... try to set another type, as: SATA. I'm about to install this on Virtualbox. I think btw that guy said memory size: 128 mb idk maybe set higher RAM, for example: 1 gb = 1024 mb. Or, did that guy change bios date?

• @RichardProgrammer1 said:

@YourOldComputer98 said:

@WinCollector said:

@YourOldComputer98 said:

Heres details:

Dats all..for now.

Hmm... try to set another type, as: SATA. I'm about to install this on Virtualbox. I think btw that guy said memory size: 128 mb idk maybe set higher RAM, for example: 1 gb = 1024 mb. Or, did that guy change bios date?

SATA on Windows 2000... not even Windows Longhorn will install on SATA. Just run it on PCem or 86Box.

@YourOldComputer98 said:

@WinCollector said:

@YourOldComputer98 said:

Heres details:

Dats all..for now.

I think that the version on WinWorldPC is timebomb-free. I don't know. But you must look for a text file on the CD that I don't know the name of.

• edited October 2018

this copy of neptune has a cracked setupreg.hiv file in order to remove the time bomb. surprisingly, guest additions works perfectly on it. fun OS to use :)

• Do we know what service is misbehaving and if it is possible to disable the misbehaving service without any detrimental effects.

• @sniff122 said:
    Do we know what service is misbehaving and if it is possible to disable the misbehaving service without any detrimental effects.

You have already been answered, check BF10's reply.

@YourOldComputer98 said:

@WinCollector said:

@YourOldComputer98 said:

Heres details:

Dats all..for now.

i was stupid at that time, after the reboot i booted from the cd again.
    also memory has nothing to do with restart loops.

• I need a VGA Drive

• If this is Build 5111, then this is basically a Longhorn build because of Beta 1 Build 5112 of Vista... Maybe Microsoft planned Longhorn way before XP? I don't know...

• @AlexThe444thMaker said:
    If this is Build 5111, then this is basically a Longhorn build because of Beta 1 Build 5112 of Vista... Maybe Microsoft planned Longhorn way before XP? I don't know...

Facepalm
    First, it's not Longhorn just because of its high 5xxx build number. It was compiled way before. It was planned to be the successor to the previous Home versions of Windows. Second, just because Vista Beta 1 has build number 5112 and this has 5111 doesn't mean they're related. They're from two separate projects. And no, Longhorn was not planned before XP. Longhorn wasn't even planned for a while, XP was meant to be succeeded by Blackcomb in 2002, expected to be a big release.

• The build number resets with every OS.

• @kitty said:
    The build number resets with every OS.

Actually, It doesn't, but it gets higher. So I assume they reset the build number when they scrapped Neptune.

• @kitty said:

@kitty said:
    The build number resets with every OS.

Actually, It doesn't, but it gets higher. So I assume they reset the build number when they scrapped Neptune.

Well, Windows NT has maintained the same build number pattern since 1990/91, with occasional jumps:

Build 196 sometime in 1991 (NT 3.1)

Build 1057 for NT 3.51

Build 2195 for Windows 2000

Build 2600 for Windows XP

Build 2500 -> 3500 for Windows .NET Server 2003, which ended up being Build 3790. Longhorn was built off the .NET Server RC branch.

Build 4094 -> 5000 for Longhorn, ended up being 6000 as Vista.

Another jump from 6000 to upper 6000s for Windows 7, ended up being 7600.

And then we got 10240 for Windows 10 1507, all derived from the same build system used for almost 30 years (I think they're close to 20000 now).

I have a theory about why Neptune broke the pattern with build numbers in the 5000s. Consumer versions of Windows at the time had "symbolic" build numbers instead of the seemingly random numbers used for NT, like 950 for Windows 95 and 1998 for Windows 98 FE. 5xxx was probably a way of marking a NT 5-based consumer OS.

However, when all attention was diverted to Whistler, it was determined that the build progression from previous versions of NT should be retained.

• Can I install VMware tools? If yes, then which version?
  • edited April 2021
    @YourOldComputer98 cause you didn't set the BIOS Date and the timebomb is over. Most builds have timeboms, if the timeboms expire, then that build will not work anymore. i recommend you to move to VMware, there you can set the BIOS date. and don't forget to create snapshots, or if they expire, you will need to reinstall the OS.
  • Maybe Windows Neptune is designed for home users, and it's build number is inherited from Windows 9x series, which is designed for home users as well, instead of Windows NT series, which is designed for enterprises, so it get its build 5.50.5111.
  • Stuck at the step "Installing Devices"
  • @xiaolei312 since this is based on Windows 2000, it suffers from the same IDE IRQ bug during installation.

The solution is to either apply the configuration fix if you're using VirtualBox (look it up), or spamming your keyboard during that phase (yes, that actually works).
  • What does NTC mean on Neptune's 'About Windows' dialog box?
  • edited October 2022
    @Missileboi
    It can be: Neptune ? Center
    The 2nd Word is unknown yet.