Liquid Cooling

edited June 2004 in Hardware
Is liquid cooling worth the risk and price?

discuss...

I don't think it is, but if it is, maybe I will get it someday

Comments

• Its only good if you do it right. If you fuck up, and water runs into your system, your fucked.
  • If your smart you can go to the book store and buy a few books like Plumming for Dummies and buy A/Cs for Dummies and read them back to back and just go take a trip to home depot or lowes and buy the parts and build it your self and save some major money. But ofcorse if you plan to build it your self you need a full tower case.
  • MrClean: You have a 500MHz... DONT BOTHER!!!
  • If you plan to water cool a PC might as well try it on a older system frist. When I built mine I had it on a AMD K6/2 550MHz system just to test the water cooling system for 48 hours. The frist 24hours it was set at the stock speed and the other 24hours I had the CPU set for 650MHz. When starting out you will run into problems but they're minor problems. Like how much water to add or take away, one or two leaks that itend to happen near the pump but is always easy to fix. Just run the test with the tank and pump outside of the case with a towel so if there is a leak then it won't hurt the system. Its better to use copper piping also instead of rubber hoses.
  • OMFG leakage, its like some knda period commercal -_-
  • lol, thats a good one. How long have you been waiting to let that out?
  • LOL I thought of it when I read it (bounce)
  • I think watercooling is good, and if you get leakage your hardware is safe, 'cos in a watercooling kit you use deminiralised water, which doesn't conduct electricity.

I'll stick to air cooling, because it is less expensive.
  • I use plainold tap water. I can't find deminiralised water.
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    I use plainold tap water. I can't find deminiralised water.

Just boil it off and condense the steam (Or my distilled water).

-Q
  • woudlnt it take awhile to catch enough steam to use to fill the tank?

How do those sound? Im curios..like a fish tank?
  • woudlnt it take awhile to catch enough steam to use to fill the tank?

How do those sound? Im curios..like a fish tank?

it really wouldnt take too long to do at all
  • or you could go to a mechanics store and buy battery top up water
  • Hmm... I think there's some demineralized water here. Watercooling would be cool, I guess, but I'd just rather load the system up with fans.
  • There you go, I didn't know that.

-Q
  • Hmm.... also I think some stuff for IV inj. is demineralized water.
  • Maybe, but then again, IV drips are frequently ionic.

-Q
  • Distilled water is already demineralized.
    You buy it by the gallon. I had my own distiller from Sears but they tear up often.
    IV drip is full of minerals. It's very good for a hangover if you just drink it.
    I haven't tried watercooling but I've read about it and it works better with just a little ethylene glycol {antifreeze} in it.
    It sounds pretty easy to set up but I don't know who would really need it.
    Thump
  • I meant "Sterile Water for Irregation". It says it's non isotonic. I think it's the equivelant of distilled waterm because my Mom puts it in her iron.
  • I expect your Mom knows what she's doing SurfinSHELL23.
    Sterile and distilled are not synonamous though.
    Sterile can contain minerals but if your Mom is putting it in the iron you can bet it's at least low in minerals.
    She must have some place to get the sterile water without buying it or she'd probably just get distilled.
    Thump
  • I got one of those machines that takes the moisture from the air and turns it into distilled water.

..but then again, we have a machines that puts water in the air...WTF
  • Yea, my Dad is a vet, and it's expired stuff from there that can't be used. I think there are literally cases stacked up in the basement and a room of the office.... lol....

She teaches Cooking and Sewing, so she's good at that stuff.
  • A point of information SurfinSHELL23:
    Sterile water is made by pressure cooking it and that process wouldn't remove any minerals. It may or may be filtered, I don't know.
    So no, it wouldn't be demineralized.
    It still may be much better than your regular tapwater though and that may be why your Mom puts it in the iron.
    I would recommend distilled water for liquid cooling but it may not even be necessary.
    Thump
  • Maybe liquid cooling is good for your PC, but for more often your CPu don't need it... So i think it's a huuuge waste of money.
  • It kinda is when a nice large heatsink/fan combo and couple case fans can do the job
  • Thump wrote:
    A point of information SurfinSHELL23:
    Sterile water is made by pressure cooking it and that process wouldn't remove any minerals. It may or may be filtered, I don't know.
    So no, it wouldn't be demineralized.
    It still may be much better than your regular tapwater though and that may be why your Mom puts it in the iron.
    I would recommend distilled water for liquid cooling but it may not even be necessary.
    Thump
    It's deionized, not sure what else, though. Or if that means demineralizes, from what I've learned in science class, I'd guess it would be. I'm not sure though. Got a little offtopic, lol.
  • The 2 sound synonymous, as it's the minerals in the water that make it ionic.

-Q
  • And ions are kinds of elements, which minerals would be.
  • Er...sounds right...

-Q
  • Ions are like combo platters of elements, I think.

I think it's when something doubled doesn't equal something in the element.