Thoughts on Windows 10

Comments

• @dosbox said:
    I personally never liked Windows 10, and I only see Windows 10 getting worse over time and not better.

^ This.

And if it ever takes over Win7 from the market share, the world will collapse into dust.

• edited January 2018

Anyways getting worse or better, it has now a very significant 40% of Windows Market Share, and that could be bad for it predecesor (7) in a near future (Meaning soon EOS for 7, I hope that won't happen). It's like if Satya Nadella wants everyone to use Windows 10 in all their devices, even if they don't like it (In fact, you can download Windows 10 for <<"free">>)

• @SistemaRayoXP said:
    Anyways getting worse or better, it has now a very significant 40% of Windows Market Share, and that could be bad for it predecesor (7) in a near future (Meaning soon EOS for 7, I hope that won't happen)

Don't tell me that it's just overtook 7 from the market share, has it? If so, then... we'll just scream until our voices are raw. I hope Linux can come and deliver us from their evil soon enough.

• @nick99nack said:
    Well, XP (SP2 & 3) was/is a simple, fast and stable OS. It also had a huge install base from everyone upgrading from the 9x series and due to the long amount of time between XP and the release of Vista. And we all know how Vista was received...

I still use XP on a couple machines (and VMs), and 7 is the last version of Windows I care about for use on my devices. 8 and 10 both suck in different ways and I won't use them on any of my things. I use linux now.

XP is simple, fast, and stable. But not as secure as Vista and up, because they had UAC.

@dosbox said:
    I personally never liked Windows 10, and I only see Windows 10 getting worse over time and not better.

I agree. The Windows 10 Creators Update (the latest one) did have one interesting feature though - Movie Maker 3D (or whatever it's called).

• edited January 2018

Bry89, check this now: http://gs.statcounter.com/windows-version-market-share/desktop/worldwide/#monthly-201612-201712
    I have bad news:
    For my country, Mexico, Windows 10 reached 7 in August 2017 :(
    In the US Windows 10 reached Windows 7 market share just in January of 2017 :(
    The worst is in the UK, where WIndows 10 reached 7 in May of 2016

Windows 10 almost has the same Windows 7 market share worldwide , and soon it will reach Windows 7. I've seen Windows 10 installed in tons of devices, including those that the people uses for rendering movies, creating YouTube videos, personal use, IoT devices, and so on. I just see how 7 is following the same way XP did (And followed the same pattern of XP after the poor receivement of Windows 8, sound familiar? Cough Vista RTM Cough) . I just have to say that Windows 7 is as lost as XP was in 2013.

But don't let this good bloatless OS die, #SaveWindows7

• edited January 2018

Even though Win10 is now more prevalent in my country, libraries and other businesses still use 7. But yeah, that is a shock indeed. Now, we are all forced to suffer.

• @SistemaRayoXP said:
    Bry89, check this now: http://gs.statcounter.com/windows-version-market-share/desktop/worldwide/#monthly-201612-201712
    I have bad news:
    For my country, Mexico, Windows 10 reached 7 in August 2017 :(
    In the US Windows 10 reached Windows 7 market share just in January of 2017 :(
    The worst is in the UK, where WIndows 10 reached 7 in May of 2016

Windows 10 almost has the same Windows 7 market share worldwide , and soon it will reach Windows 7. I've seen Windows 10 installed in tons of devices, including those that the people uses for rendering movies, creating YouTube videos, personal use, IoT devices, and so on. I just see how 7 is following the same way XP did (And followed the same pattern of XP after the poor receivement of Windows 8, sound familiar? Cough Vista RTM Cough) . I just have to say that Windows 7 is as lost as XP was in 2013.

But don't let this good bloatless OS die, #SaveWindows7

SaveWindows7? Now that's something I can get behind!

Additionally, I'm worried because at my school, I took a Computer Use Survey on Google Forms and it shows more people (of the small amount who answer my survey) use Windows 10 than 7 - 27.3% (6 people) for 10 vs 22.7% for 7 (5 people), and because so many people run Chrome OS (and a surprising amount have only 1GB of RAM, and 16-bit CPUs). I'm also worried because most of the people answering (it being close, though) don't have computers with CD-ROM drives.

P.S. I will never switch to Windows 10. I will hold on to Windows 7 until it loses support, then switch to Windows 8.1 Pro (with programs like ClassicShell and AeroGlass 8 to make it look like Win7) and when that loses support in 2023, switch to Ubuntu. (with a Win7 VM, of course).

• edited January 2018

In a future, Windows could be revived from it's EOS dead for mysterious reasons. Just don't lose hope!! And maybe the answer to our prayers will be the OpenSource and Free Software, I think it just needs refining itself.

• @SistemaRayoXP said:
    In a future, Windows could be revived from it's EOS dead for mysterious reasons. Just don't lose hope!! And maybe the answer to our prayers will be the OpenSource and Free Software, I think it just needs refining itself.

You have a point. Open source software is the future - I think OSes like ReactOS are what will guide the world to free and open programs - with the ease of use and compatibility of Windows, but free like Linux. Personally, I support ReactOS.

I'll try not to lose hope. But with the spyware that is Windows 10 existing, becoming popular, and being pushed by Microsoft (with the BS that is MS not allowing updates for 7/8.1 on Kaby Lake/Ryzen, what?! The updates are compatible, I'm sure someone will make a hack, but still), it's hard.

• @droem said:

@Bry89 said:
    He probably thinks that Windows 10 is still the steaming turd that we all knew it as. I'm sceptical if it even has improved since its original release, mind you...

Oh, It’s pretty stable, starts up fast, program load fast. It’s preety good.

Stable!? Stable!?

I have used Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, (only a little bit for all of those prior), Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008/R2, Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1, Windows 10, Windows Server 2016, and the only crashes I've ever had were one of Windows 7 ('cause my HD failed) and on Windows 10, multiple times (a couple because VPC2007 and Windows 10 hated each other, and others because of Windows 10 instabilities on build 14393 like how when Win10 didn't let me elevate anything, only letting me use standard-level applications, showing an error when I tried to admin anything, and when I logged out, it crashed.

• it turns out people that the people hating an OS in the present will often cling onto it and claim it was "the last good one" in the future

see: XP

• @calvinb said:
    it turns out people that the people hating an OS in the present will often cling onto it and claim it was "the last good one" in the future

I'm guilty of this, at least with XP. But in my defense, XP RTM wasn't very good. I had a number of issues when I first used it, and it was slower than 2000. But, over time the hardware got better, and SP2 fixed most of the issues I had with it.

I recently tried out Vista again too, and it doesn't seem as bad as I remembered it. I think the service packs helped a lot.

I can't see myself ever enjoying Windows 8/8.1, but, maybe after enough complaints, they will fix Windows 10 and I will enjoy that too. For me to use it, they would have to return full control of updates to the user, kill the ads, and get rid of the telemetry stuff. (And I'd like my Windows Classic theme back, but it's not a deal-breaker like the rest)

• @calvinb said:
    it turns out people that the people hating an OS in the present will often cling onto it and claim it was "the last good one" in the future

You are partially right, because well, Vista wasn't a wonderful sucess, so obviously the people went with its predecesor, same with 10, people doesn't like it (Here we are), and they go with its predecesor, Windows 7 (Skip Windows 8 since it was almost as bad or worse than 10 for many people), so technically, Windows 10 has advantages and disvantages, but supossed a radical change for many of us (Telemetry?! Ads in the Start Menu?! Complete trust in network services?! Forced updates?!) and we didn't like it, so as with Vista, many of us went backwards (7) instead of forwards (10), and no update will fix what they did. I wonder how will the future be when Windows 7 has got EOS (T-T) and when Windows will be just "a service" (Maybe in 2030 or more). I hope the future OS won't force you to update yourself and to see ads even when you sleep.

The future is the Free Software, it just needs refining itself!

• I use Windows 10, but only because I have to use Windows software. If I didn't I'd be running Mint 18.3 all day every day. But I do rely heavily on RDP for a lot of things I do, and Linux doesn't play too well with RDP for me.

• edited January 2018

Offtopic
    Why don't you use VNC or TeamViewer or smiliar instead?

• @SistemaRayoXP said:

@calvinb said:

You are partially right, because well, Vista wasn't a wonderful sucess, so obviously the people went with its predecesor, same with 10, people doesn't like it (Here we are), and they go with its predecesor, Windows 7 (Skip Windows 8 since it was almost as bad or worse than 10 for many people), so technically, Windows 10 has advantages and disvantages, but supossed a radical change for many of us (Telemetry?! Ads in the Start Menu?! Complete trust in network services?! Forced updates?!) and we didn't like it, so as with Vista, many of us went backwards (7) instead of forwards (10), and no update will fix what they did. I wonder how will the future be when Windows 7 has got EOS (T-T) and when Windows will be just "a service" (Maybe in 2030 or more). I hope the future OS won't force you to update yourself and to see ads even when you sleep.

The future is the Free Software, it just needs refining itself!

Free software is the future. Actually, Windows Vista (SP1+) is very good, as long as your computer has a dual core processor and at least 2GB of memory. Vista looked nice, with Aero, and didn't have any telemetry or ads. Besides, anyone who hates Vista should also hate 7, and we'd be hard-pressed to find a reasonable person who hates 7. 7 is Vista, with the "SuperBar", some features removed (Windows Movie Maker, anyone?), Snap Lists, Aero Snap, and other things that could be added to Vista as a sort of "Microsoft Plus for Windows Vista" (which is basically what 7, especially the betas, are).

• edited February 2018

An update from @SistemaRayoXP's post, Win10 has just overtook 7 from the market share, as of January 2018.

Oh well, that's "great" I suppose. Not.

Don't wanna use that stupid garbage if I'm at work or in the local library or whatever, unless LTSB is taken into consideration. Already, I'm beginning to panic, unnecessarily that is.

• Windows 10 is a great OS. It runs fast and snappy on even old hardware. As for the "bloat", it's ridiculously exaggerated and you can remove it all. As for the telemetry, it's not anything special, at least that is isn't already done by just about every single social media site or your ISP isn't already collecting. As for Windows 10's start menu, the tiles are actually kind of useful, but you can remove all of them if you don't want to. Windows 7's lack of support for UEFI, DX12, the Linux subsystem and many other features just makes it something I don't want to mess with. And no @Bry89, Windows 10 is not a "steaming turd."

• edited February 2018

By one side, Windows 10 haters, by the other side, Windows 10 lovers (Maybe I'm exaggerating with lovers, but maybe not). The world has convinced us all that the new is always better, but as Old Version says "Because newer is not always better!".

We can't say that Windows 10 hasn't advantages over its predecessors: I mean, Windows 8 has full UEFI support, and Windows 7 and 8 had a Linux subsystem (Just less powerful). But Windows 10 has the Xbox app which I think is great, the Feedback Hub, a great improvement over, wait in Windows 7 was what? nothing! And the unified store, you can have, let's mean Halo Wars 2 on Xbox and PC just buying once.

But let's go with privacy: nowadays when the ads aren't "effective" on TV and on paper, they are in the Internet, and now in your desktop, just because they want you to pay them attention.

And I know, that's very intrusive, but could they place them somewhere else? Maybe not because you're not paying them attention, but that's why telemetry was invented, instead of knocking door to door making polls that you may not answer, they "force you" to answer these "virtual polls" to know which kind of ads to show you (so you'll pay them more attention since they're focused on you).

But, this is a big change from earlier Windows 7 (If Windows 8 would have Start Menu and everybody would use Windows 8, the change would not have been so big).

And Windows 10 trusts many much in cloud services, but what if I made several devices around the world that disable all ISPs in the world and I leave the world without internet for 1 or 2 weeks, Windows 10 wouldn't work, and there would be millionaire loses.

The world wasn't ready initially for Windows 10, but after 3 years the things changed, and the people is accustomed to ads and minimum or none privacy. Well M$, you made what Apple did back in the eighties, but this time for bad and you couldn't wait us (They could have released Windows 9 and make there the change but in small proportions!)

Offtopic:
    Something curious, since Windows Me, M$ followed the
    pattern GoodWindows-BadWindows:
    Windows Me :-1: WIndows XP :smile: Windows Vista :-1:
    Windows 7 :smile: Windows 8 :-1: Windows 8.1 :neutral:
    until Windows 10,
    where these pattern were broke, at least in terms of
    version (Like Windows 11 was here, he he), but followed
    in the big updates, let's call them the "new service packs"
    where from my point of view is: RTM=:-1: Anniversary=:smile:
    Creators=:-1: Fall Creators (This one broke the line, again)=:-1:

• @whistler2250 said:
    Windows 10 is a great OS. It runs fast and snappy on even old hardware. As for the "bloat", it's ridiculously exaggerated and you can remove it all. As for the telemetry, it's not anything special, at least that is isn't already done by just about every single social media site or your ISP isn't already collecting. As for Windows 10's start menu, the tiles are actually kind of useful, but you can remove all of them if you don't want to. Windows 7's lack of support for UEFI, DX12, the Linux subsystem and many other features just makes it something I don't want to mess with. And no @Bry89, Windows 10 is not a "steaming turd."

If you're using old hardware, you should probably use Windows 7 with lots of services turned off, ReactOS, or Linux.

Yes, the telemetry isn't anything special, but the problem is it's done by your operating system. To use your computer, you don't need the internet (ISP) or social media sites, but you need the OS to do much of anything useful.

I don't see why you need UEFI and most games and even professional applications are still on DX11. Why? Because a lot of people still use Windows 7 so they have to support DX11. DirectX 12 does have advantages, yes, but very few applications (and even fewer major ones) take advantage of it despite many people using DX12 instead of DX11 now.

• edited February 2018

OIfftopic

I know it's offtopic but did you all know that 7 could never reach XP at the OS installed at most computers? Check what the Windows history as to show us since 2009

• @OldNewComputers said:
    If you're using old hardware, you should probably use Windows 7 with lots of services turned off, ReactOS, or Linux.

Why? Windows 10 runs fast on snappy on my old Core 2 Duo machines. Windows 7 seems a bit sluggish at times, while Windows 8 and 10 are very fast and responsive, even without an SSD. Even Pentium 4's can handle it with enough ram. As long as my hardware is capable of running Windows 10, that's what I'm going to run. The only hardware I have that I wouldn't install Windows 10 on is my old IBM Thinkpad A21m, as it doesn't support SSE2 or NX. At the moment, it has XP, but will be upgrading to 7 when I get my 512 MB ram kit. BTW, it is a Pentium III 800 machine with 192 MB of ram.

• Just some versions of Windows 10 run fine on a Pentium 4 (I have one as my main machine). The only version of Windows 10 that I know that runs fine on this chip, is the Anniversary Update. And Core 2 Duo isn't old, old is this thing of Pentium 4, even a Pentium D isn't so old, but, a Core 2 Duo? that's not old, that runs anything.

• I think we forget how old many Core 2 Duo machines are. They're all between 6 and 12 years old now (I can't believe it's been that long already). But, the Core 2 Duos out there are still very capable machines. I think computers made in the Core 2 Duo era will have a much longer useful life than the machines from years prior. Clock speeds haven't increased that much lately, and most made during that time can be upgraded to 4 or 8GB of RAM which is still plenty for most people.

• edited February 2018

I ran Windows 10 RTM (originally had 7 but upgraded) on AMD Radeon HD 3000 series (unsure which exact version.) Intergraded graphics and had 512mb Video RAM
    a CPU clocked at 1.3 GHz
    4gb of RAM, (just ram)
    and 500gb hard drive.
    It ran pretty well (surprisingly)
    I moved to Linux Mint recently and it runs almost exactly the same.

• If it's a new machine, of course it will run perfect even with an Intel Atom. But if the PC is old, it won't run as fast as it would in the cheaper and newest system

• @SistemaRayoXP said:
    If it's a new machine, of course it will run perfect even with an Intel Atom. But if the PC is old, it won't run as fast as it would in the cheaper and newest system

it's about a decade old. 8 years I think.

• Yeah, but that's not old, anything older than 2008 will not run smooth Windows 10 (Since before 2008, the PCs weren't at the Vista requirements level, in other words, at the Windows 10 requirement level). And the age isn't the only thing that determines this, the graphics and the RAM matters (By your specs, I'd say your PC is mid-high system for its time, except for the processor, of course)

• edited February 2018

I liked Windows 10, but I haven't been so fond of it since this happened. I'm basically stuck on the November update...ugh. (Not that it's bad, but there are quite a few features in the newer updates that I would prefer to use.)

• @SistemaRayoXP said:
    Just some versions of Windows 10 run fine on a Pentium 4 (I have one as my main machine). The only version of Windows 10 that I know that runs fine on this chip, is the Anniversary Update. And Core 2 Duo isn't old, old is this thing of Pentium 4, even a Pentium D isn't so old, but, a Core 2 Duo? that's not old, that runs anything.

Well, since your computer has only 1gb of ram, updates are for sure going to slow it down. Going to 4 (or maybe 8) gb will dramatically increase your performance.