Macintosh LC II arrived

Today an old Macintosh LC II arrived by the front door. What made it all the more interesting was getting one with the original box, system disks, and manuals! Unfortunately the Mac has been yellowed a bit, but the worst of it was on the keyboard. Specs are a 68030 16 Mhz processor, 4 MB RAM, and a 40 MB Connor hard disk that still works. System disks included were for System 7.1 which is what they were preloaded with when new.

Here's some photos.

Comments

• edited February 2018

This photo dropped off:

Edit: Internal photo taken out - just was slow to come up in original post.

• Wow, nice find. Do you have a monitor for it? Can it run any cool games?

• At some stage I was just going to get an adapter to switch the video output over to VGA. Originally these came with a small 12" monitor, which when sat on top almost looked as though it was one unit. Although some came with the larger more traditional shaped 14" monitors.

For games I don't really remember any for this. I used LCs in primary school in the early 90s, but remember just using ClarisWorks 2.0, HyperCard, and Kid Pix. The main game I remember which could be played over an AppleTalk network was F-18 Hornet. I'm pretty sure we played it on faster 68040-based Macs like the LC 475, LC 575, and Performas.

• edited February 2018

@thinkpadman said:
    At some stage I was just going to get an adapter to switch the video output over to VGA. Originally these came with a small 12" monitor, which when sat on top almost looked as though it was one unit. Although some came with the larger more traditional shaped 14" monitors.

For games I don't really remember any for this. I used LCs in primary school in the early 90s, but remember just using ClarisWorks 2.0, HyperCard, and Kid Pix. The main game I remember which could be played over an AppleTalk network was F-18 Hornet. I'm pretty sure we played it on faster 68040-based Macs like the LC 475, LC 575, and Performas.

You say you were going to "get an adapter to switch the video output over to VGA", what kind of video output does it have now? It seemed like before 2000 everything had its own port lol. I found another one on ebay for $89 and I have been thinking about getting it. Although I don't know if I have a monitor that will work with it.

• Old Macs such as these use a DA-15 port, similar to VGA though pin alignment is over 2 rows instead of 3. Some of the monitors at the time used some "unusual" resolutions compared to the PC, so for best compatibility there's some adapters that contain a number of small switches to correctly set the resolution when using a PC monitor.

At the time Apple was convinced to bring back Steve Jobs, and consequently released the very first iMacs and iBooks in the rainbow colours, standardised ports such as USB started being introduced.

• edited February 2018

@thinkpadman said:
    Old Macs such as these use a DA-15 port, similar to VGA though pin alignment is over 2 rows instead of 3. Some of the monitors at the time used some "unusual" resolutions compared to the PC, so for best compatibility there's some adapters that contain a number of small switches to correctly set the resolution when using a PC monitor.

At the time Apple was convinced to bring back Steve Jobs, and consequently released the very first iMacs and iBooks in the rainbow colours, standardised ports such as USB started being introduced.

Yeah, no usb ports on this PC. Found one of those adapters on Amazon. I have an old vga square monitor (not a CRT) that should work because of its low resolution. I spent an hour and half trying to figure out how the keyboard and mouse connect to the computer, it makes no sense. Plug the mouse into the keyboard and then the keyboard into the computer. On top of this ADB keyboards and mice are expensive. So the LC II I was looking at on ebay sold, but I found another one that is in its original packaging like yours with all the system disks and what not. I am thinking about buying it, because the only other thing I would need to order would be the video adapter.