Windows 3.0 / 3.1 embOS

edited June 2018 in Product Comments

Windows 3.0 / 3.1 embOS

WinWorld is an online museum dedicated to providing free and open access to one of the largest archives of abandonware software and information on the web.

Read the full story here

Comments

• edited June 2018

Nice OS, I like the GUI and design :D
    I installed QuickTime

There is even a Commodore 64 emulator too! :0

• Thanks, this is one of those older archives I've never had time to mess with. At a glance I don't see much info about this odd release out there. I guess this is a pre-install from an embedded type device.

• @SomeGuy said:
    Thanks, this is one of those older archives I've never had time to mess with. At a glance I don't see much info about this odd release out there. I guess this is a pre-install from an embedded type device.

YEP :smile::smile::smile:

• I Did Never Knew About This

• A few months ago I tried to adapt this OS for a 486 single board pc.

I started figuring out how to remove that c64-emu stuff and start EmbOS in "normal" Win3x program manager mode. I had no luck.

I went over to an old linux distribution, as it was ready to install on CD. Now as I see this topic it pops back into my mind.

Is there anyone using this? Or someone who has a working image/zip for a VM?
    If not, someday I'll go for more investigation on this, but atm there is not much time for such a task...

• I had to do this... I took me a few hours, and now it is working.

I am going to post an offer in a few minutes, here are some screenshots.

I made a VM-disk (C-only, not that CDE crap) that runs IBM PCDOS 2000 (7+y2k) and embOS.
    As embOS comes without program manager, i took it from stock win 3.1 and placed it in embos folder.

There's still a lot of work to do, but it seems to be usable.

• @sdose said:
    A few months ago I tried to adapt this OS for a 486 single board pc.

I started figuring out how to remove that c64-emu stuff and start EmbOS in "normal" Win3x program manager mode. I had no luck.

I went over to an old linux distribution, as it was ready to install on CD. Now as I see this topic it pops back into my mind.

Is there anyone using this? Or someone who has a working image/zip for a VM?
    If not, someday I'll go for more investigation on this, but atm there is not much time for such a task...

Yes, I'm using it to convert the language to English instead of German. It working out so far!

• @skinet said:
    I Did Never Knew About This

Well, you do now!

• When I try to boot from the hard disk,it told me a diskplay error occured.

• @ITACHIKA6516 said:
    When I try to boot from the hard disk,it told me a diskplay error occured.

oops..it's "display"

• edited August 2018

It only works with a S3 video card. Change video driver in win.ini
    This one should work out of the box:
    https://forum.winworldpc.com/discussion/10423/offer-clean-ibm-embos-win3-1-embedded-with-pc-dos2000-vm

• I found a video on YouTube about installing embOS build 999 on Bochs, but the author didn't provide the download link.

• I think my translation is currently the best one. I've actually edited the resources of executables instead of just the plain text config file used by PROGMAN.EXE. It is still incomplete but you can give it a try: https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=39285

• Will it run on VirtualBox? If it can, can you teach me how do I install it?

• @Helva said:
    Will it run on VirtualBox? If it can, can you teach me how do I install it?
    I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work. Download the VHD file, and while creating your virtual machine, choose to use an existing hard disk image and select the VHD you downloaded.
  • Which one are you talking about? The original VHD or my translation? My translated version probably will work. The original VHD most likely will not work because of the video driver being incompatible.
  • @ComputerHunter
    Your translation runs fine in VirtualBox.
  • Yup, just tried it and it works perfectly on VirtualBox. I needed to convert the VMX format to OVF format since VirtualBox uses a different format than VMware.

Here's a direct link to the OVF file: https://mega.nz/file/SwdG0YAA#8GiZucv9DptEGrIxD0oQfROu944_vSUz6a2Q4btxgyo
  • I have tried running the VHD file on VirtualBox, but then, this error displays.

• edited August 2020
    @Koshgnintan
    Try importing my OVF file by File > Import Appliance.
  • edited August 2020
    If you import my OVF file, and start it, you should get something like this:

If you prefer German, then add some patches to get it working. If you prefer English, try this and this already has the applied patches.
  • @Lollipop
    I've tried importing the OVF on VirtualBox. But then I get this error when I try to import it.

• Sorry 'bout that. I'll try doing it again.
  • @Lollipop
    Thanks! Maybe I couldn't import it because there were some missing files.

Here are some screenshots

Commodore 64 emulator:

Menu:

• edited August 2020
    @Koshgnintan
    You are welcome. I used a utility supplied with VMware which converts VMX to the VirtualBox-readable OVF format. Then I imported it.
  • @Lollipop
    Oh, ok. Thanks for sharing the file and letting us see how EmbOS looked and experience it by ourselfes.
  • @Koshgnintan
    Again, your welcome.

But there is one thing I want to point out:
    This patch was made by @ComputerHunter.
  • @Lollipop
    Oh, ok. Looks like ComputerHunter is good at this kind of stuff.