Windows 1.0 DR 5

edited December 2018 in Product Comments

imageWindows 1.0 DR 5

WinWorld is an online museum dedicated to providing free and open access to one of the largest archives of abandonware software and information on the web.

Read the full story here


Comments

  • Just a bit of a tip for anyone who's had the same Notepad hang issues on DR5: add FILES=30 and BUFFERS=30 to your CONFIG.SYS file and the issue will be solved

  • Also in WINDOWS.RES is an unused icon named TRASH, indicating older builds likely had a trash can feature of some kind. This is supported by photos and articles describing older builds, where this icon can be seen and is described as a place where files are discarded. Clearly the feature was already removed before DR5 with only the trash can icon remaining.

  • A bomb icon exists in WINDOWS.RES, to be used for error messages, but neither Windows nor any included application ever display a true error message, only warnings, which feature the musical note icon instead. The error icon was later changed to a hand performing the "stop" gesture, but the original choice of a bomb indicates early Windows development was influenced by Apple's Macintosh, which also used a bomb as an error icon.

  • i am still trying to find where the hell is that command.com...wish me luck...

  • edited December 2018

    @thatkindoftechnologicalboi said:
    i am still trying to find where the hell is that command.com...wish me luck...

    Try looking at the root of your C: drive, or whatever floppy you've installed DOS on. I think it's called something else in PC-DOS... IBMDOS.COM or IBM something...

  • aha...i see...thanks xD

  • One day I hope Someguy will do review on Windows 1.0 DR5 like he on Windows 1.0 Non PC Compatible. Seen Windows 1.0 DR5 is oldest leak of Windows in general. There is a lot discovery was found in Windows 1.0 DR5 reasonably like Trash Icon in DR5.

  • @win32 said:

    @thatkindoftechnologicalboi said:
    i am still trying to find where the hell is that command.com...wish me luck...

    Try looking at the root of your C: drive, or whatever floppy you've installed DOS on. I think it's called something else in PC-DOS... IBMDOS.COM or IBM something...

    A bit late...
    A little correction:

    MS-DOS name = IBM name:

    COMMAND.COM = COMMAND.COM
    IBMBIO.COM = IO.SYS
    IBMDOS.COM = MSDOS.SYS

  • hi...thx..you know being late is better than not helping at all hehe

  • can someone make a VMware archive?
    i have problems when i run it, like glitched screen, black screen or system crash.

  • Impossible. Use 86Box or PCem. Also, read install.bat to find system requirements.

  • If we found Windows 1.0 Pre-DR5 Build It will be development release 1-4 they was release to Application developers May-October 1984. This why Windows 1.0 DR5 is was leaked because it available to Application developers in although mid-late 1984.

  • @johnlennon364 said:
    If we found Windows 1.0 Pre-DR5 Build It will be development release 1-4 they was release to Application developers May-October 1984. This why Windows 1.0 DR5 is was leaked because it available to Application developers in although mid-late 1984.

    Keep dreaming.

  • @VicWith3Numbers said:
    can someone make a VMware archive?
    i have problems when i run it, like glitched screen, black screen or system crash.

    Follow this guide: https://betawiki.net/wiki/Windows_1.0_Development_Release_5#Installation

  • This build runs great on my 386 with DOS 6.2 and a serial mouse.

  • It possible to run Windows 1.0 DR5 on DOS 5.00. Windows 1.0 Alpha have internal version check not in Windows 1.0 DR5. Windows 1.0 DR5 do not run internal version check. For better results run MS-DOS 2.10.

Sign In or Register to comment.