Xenix IBM PC 1.00

edited January 2019 in Product Comments

imageXenix IBM PC 1.00

WinWorld is an online museum dedicated to providing free and open access to one of the largest archives of abandonware software and information on the web.

Read the full story here

Comments

• CPU is 286 only.

• How can I run this on 86Box?
  • I tried booting from boot floppy but it shows me "E"s and I do not know what to do.
  • To install it, you need to configure an IBM AT with an FPU on 86Box (not sure if other emulators work), CGA display, a hard disk (I used a 20MB IDE with 615 cylinders, 4 heads and 17 sectors), and a 5.25" 1.2MB floppy disk drive. Run the diagnostics from the IBM AT diagnostics diskette, and once it finishes boot from the Xenix BOOT diskette. On the boot prompt, write fd /etc/badtrack. This should scan the hard drive for bad tracks. Once that finishes, it should return to the boot prompt. Now boot from fd /xenix.fd (not the default fd /xenix). It should go into a # prompt. Enter hdinit to erase the hard drive and copy some boot files and basic utilities. Finally, restart from the hard disk (boot from the default hd /xenix), and once you get to the # prompt insert the BASE1 floppy and type xinstall base to begin the actual install.
  • edited March 2022
    This is screenshot of installation from IBM PC AT 5150 (Rev.1 BIOS with 6MHz, HDD : 112MB - 9 types, RAM : 2MB)

• What HD Controller should I use?
  • Never mind, I found HD controller. How much RAM Should I use and where is the IBM AT Diagnostics disk?
  • I used 640kb of RAM, however you could add more. I think the diagnostics disk is available here, however I can't remember on which page.