Lattice C 2.x

edited March 2019 in Product Comments

Lattice C 2.x

WinWorld is an online museum dedicated to providing free and open access to one of the largest archives of abandonware software and information on the web.

Read the full story here

Comments

• I think the "Lifeboat" was an appropriate totem for this compiler. Both the compiler, and the code it generated were incredibly slow. You needed a lifeboat to save yourself. I quickly switched to the Mark Williams "Let's C" compiler, and didn't look back.

• I actually never used Lattice C, but I used Microsoft C 2 for compiling an old 8086 "microcontroller" firmware.
    This was incredibly slow - I thought it was because of using emulators, so I installed Windows 3.1, DOS and MSC on my 386 box ... and it was still that fu**ing slow.

As MSC2 is just a rebranded Lattice C compiler, this is no surprise.

Also there were a few files called "quirksXX.c", that held code to work around some compiler bugs and replaced some c library functions. But I don't remember any details from these files...

What I usually miss on those old compilers are "ready-to-run" IDEs.
    It is no fun to dig into command-line-usage on a single tasking system like DOS.
    Close Editor, change directory/add to path/, invoke compiler, invoke linker, nothing works, go back to editor, ...

• Microsoft C 1.03 beta is basically Lattice C 1.03 (it doesn't even have changed copyrights to Microsoft).
    Manual(s) on archive.org: https://archive.org/details/bitsavers?query=lattice