Users no longer licenced to run older versions of Adobe CC

edited May 2019 in Software

https://www.engadget.com/2019/05/14/adobe-creative-cloud-older-apps-warning/

This is similar to the situation where the Microsoft Java Virtual Machine was discontinued due to Sun accusing MS of providing a poor implementation of Java and infringing on trademarks, which also forced the phaseout of Windows 98/Me and Office 2000 Premium (among other products). That would be like de-licensing win98 and then Sun suing all of its users.

Comments

• edited May 2019

I'm sure you can still use older versions of Adobe Creative Cloud as a non-licensed software, I mean, that type of software use does exist, I'm sure. But I don't think a lot of people would have to worry about that too much, because with Adobe CC, you always stay updated when there's an update from them :)

• I wonder what third parties are going to do the lawsuit.

Going to happen? No. Sounds like Adobe trying to cover for themselves and a licensing disagreement.

• That's unbelievable. And this is why I don't use subscription products. They can be taken away at any time. Cloud-based applications are stupid.

• @nick99nack said:
    That's unbelievable. And this is why I don't use subscription products. They can be taken away at any time. Cloud-based applications are stupid.

I guess that's true. But most people may need cloud-based applications for a bunch of reasons. I sometimes use cloud-based apps for backing up my stuff for most of my computers.

• @JonathonWyble said:

@nick99nack said:
    That's unbelievable. And this is why I don't use subscription products. They can be taken away at any time. Cloud-based applications are stupid.

I guess that's true. But most people may need cloud-based applications for a bunch of reasons. I sometimes use cloud-based apps for backing up my stuff for most of my computers.

I make an exception for cloud-based backup (although I don't use it myself). It's mostly applications that don't need Internet access to run, but they do because of some licensing thing that requires them to "phone home" once in a while.

• I don't trust cloud anything.
    I only use cloud storage to store some things I use on other computers. Never for backup of anything important.
    Why? Well out of the blue your cloud storage accound cna be terminated and lose everything. Not a true backup solution. Out of the blue the company may announce termination of the service. It will take days to download all that data if you even have the storage medium for everything you "backed up." Don't have days because we're shutting down tomorrow? Too bad! Cloud backup is not a true backup solution period.
    Let's not even mention if the company decides to hold your data hostage for some random, generated reason.

Cloud/Subscription programs. Whoops we broke a feature you use everyday. Well now we're going to claim it's illegal to run a previous version with that feature working. Oh and by the way, we now actually fixed that feature but it will only be included in this additional subscription package which costs more money along with other features you wanted in the past. Oh and we're going to raise the price of this year's extension as well. However, our licensing terms are subject to change like whenever, so as of today you're no longer allowed do this with our program even though we allowed it in the past. And we won't refund your subscription cost because you used our program the way we don't want you to. We'll just terminate your subscription now and maybe even file a lawsuit to see if we can extract more money from you.

And now the company who made your subscription program just got bought out by adobe. So you will need to relicense everything, re-read a whole new licensing term, and hope adobe doesn't butcher a good program.
    But then adobe canceled that program for development of whole a new program that does exactly the same thing. Or took the features and added it to an existing(and more expensive but useless to you) adobe product. Well the current subscription you paid for is no longer valid and you must now purchase another subscription for a new program because Adobe claims it's illegal to run the canceled one or make it stop functioning. But because it's now a new program, you must put in paperwork to higher-ups so they can approve this new software to be deployed on the systems. If they agree to the new costs and licensing terms.

It's a form of extortion.

• edited May 2019

Yeah a few days ago I was reading some old threads where someone claimed that a DMCA notice forced the removal of some of their Dropbox content.

That and other reasons are why I'm buying a second HDD caddy for my workstation now instead of considering cloud anything. When it rains, it pours.

• And now the company who made your subscription program just got bought out by adobe. So you will need to relicense everything, re-read a whole new licensing term, and hope adobe doesn't butcher a good program.
    But then adobe canceled that program for development of whole a new program that does exactly the same thing. Or took the features and added it to an existing(and more expensive but useless to you) adobe product. Well the current subscription you paid for is no longer valid and you must now purchase another subscription for a new program because Adobe claims it's illegal to run the canceled one or make it stop functioning. But because it's now a new program, you must put in paperwork to higher-ups so they can approve this new software to be deployed on the systems. If they agree to the new costs and licensing terms.

It's a form of extortion.

I remember when one of my friend almost lost their designer jobs because Adobe kills FreeHand after they acquired Macromedia back in the mid 2000 before he slowly move into Corel Draw instead Ilustrator even have been forced by Adobe. Also I never pays for any 'cloud things' (except storage, for sharing purposes only) or even any forms of online activation because if they died and their company doesn't care about existing customers, you just can't use them anymore.