Should WinWorld ditch IE downloads?

QQ
edited December 2004 in Site Issues
WinWorld lists many IE versions to download. But there now arises a question:

Since Mozilla Firefox has become a VERY nice browser, in many Ways far Surpassive and Superior to IE should WinWorld ditch/add IE/Firefox?

-Q

Comments

• Nah, I'd say keep IE still... Despite the fact that it's not a real web browser, there are a lot of people that use it. That's why I keep it on my site. Despite the fact that I hate it, there may be people who want it, and they'll go to another site if they don't find it. Might as well try to have any many things that people would want as possible.
  • i would recommend add them both there are some IE users and Mozilla users so make it user friendly for both :D
  • Out with the old and bring on the new is what I say. MS has been on the top, lets let Mozilla take over for a while. BRING ON FIREFOX!
  • Mozilla Firefox 0.8.0 has been added to the downloads page with a note.

-Q
  • but some n00bs well keep the microsoft explorer so its only fair we add both :-)
  • I say keep IE, when i was looking for some older versions of IE i know they were really hard to find (i was looking for some for my sisters old laptop, i didn't want to confuse her with having to learn a new browser, she can be kind of slow ;-) )
  • OK, we should remote link to someone ELSES IE's because theyre MASSIVE, and it REALLY slows down the 30KB/sec server... Ill look around for some links that we can just leech off of... Then FireFox we can also remote link, as with the SPs...
  • The entire browsers dir is ~30MB, an almost noone ever gets one.

Besides, we've had our own problems with leeching.

-Q
  • Well- I have to agree with the TCPMeta. IE's always the teacher's pet. Lets bring up Mozilla for a bit. I would say to have a note for IE that says- so and so's site has IE, we don't see a large draw for it, so it has been removed from our server. If you feel that you need IE, visit there. And then give a direct link to the download page.

It somewhat keeps us from completely leaching, keeps the IE shit off our servers, and keeps those few people happy.
  • Q wrote:
    The entire browsers dir is ~30MB, an almost noone ever gets one.

Besides, we've had our own problems with leeching.

-Q

Well, if nobody takes it, leave it! Snice you DO have 300 gigs..
  • thats 300GB's, FishNET

*shutters* DONT use the word "gigs"

You might as well be using dialup, a Mac, and typing in all caps if you use that word.
  • I say keep IE, even if people don't use it...I personally update it fully, as the newer versions fix security flaws, then hopefully have their new ones patched up later. Add firefox, it is spreading rapidly and needs to be spread further.

• You might as well be using dialup,
    Ahem,
    NOT every one here is Lucky enough to have adsl :P
    (drool)
    I wish my brother wasn't such a dipshit,
    he punched me in the nose cos we got into a fight over if we get ADSL we can't network the pc's because he don't want me to have internet in my room. He thinks if we do it will go really slow with 512 connection between 2-3 pc's
  • Oh thats me
  • ITll only go slow if you use a 10M hub. Just get a router which has a built in switch will have the same speed for all PC's.

The only way itll get slower is if one Pc is using up all the bandwdth.
  • I go slow on a 1575K connection between 4 PCs... cause people leech moviez off me 24/7
  • I got two PCs networked, sometimes 3 with the laptop, which is rarely on.
    I got dual 10/100 NICs in my system, connected to a 10/100 switch, connected to a 10/100 router. The 2nd PC is the Family PC, which rarely uses the internet, occasionally when someone goes on to check email or read the news, but thats about it. I download and upload about 1 GB a day, mostly uploading, but noone notices.
  • I never go slow between a 4port and a 8-port switch. all filled with PC's. but I only have a max of like 3 PC's on at a time.
  • keep ie cos theres still a couple of pages that mozilla don't like

eg freewebs' page editor
  • no. keep ie4 just for gettin web integration in w95/n40. and don't remove anyway 16bit ie.
  • I say keep the downloads.
  • Keep them for 1 more day, I need them.
  • I say keep IE because a lot of people use Hotmail. I have hotmail accounts myself, the first of which dates back to before M$ bought the service (back to when it was an excellent design with an excellent business model). I have since noticed that M$ regularly 'improves' the Hotmail service in such a way that use of it is difficult, if not impossible, in any other browser than IE. That's why I halted my search for how to disable, or better yet remove, IE on my own computer.
  • Also, MSN-messenger insists upon passing links to IE regardless of what you have set as your default browser; and though they claim that MSN-chat will run in Netscape Navigator, I have yet to see it work there -- it hangs on me every time I try.
  • Arqeynjl wrote:
    I say keep IE because a lot of people use Hotmail. I have hotmail accounts myself, the first of which dates back to before M$ bought the service (back to when it was an excellent design with an excellent business model). I have since noticed that M$ regularly 'improves' the Hotmail service in such a way that use of it is difficult, if not impossible, in any other browser than IE. That's why I halted my search for how to disable, or better yet remove, IE on my own computer.

I don't think that MS requires you to use IE to access Hotmail.

I accessed it perfectly in FFX
  • links in M$N go straight to firefox and u can access hotmail in firefox
  • ^ there right im on hotmail now