Problem with nvidia drivers and Windows 98(Maybe directx 9.0c?)

edited July 2019 in Software

I already talked about this topic like a year ago, but now i just cant see what is happening.

It doesnt matter what nvidia card(Compatible with windows 98) i use in which computer(Tried with three completely different), or in which installation(Tried it with the spanish version, english version, tried both with auto patcher for windows 98 and the unnoficial sp3 update on different installations). I use the 66.something version of the drivers and it work for short time, and then it appears in dxdiag like an nvidia gpu but with 2 GB of vram(????), directx no longer works and no game detects 3D acceleration. If i install the last version (81.98) something similar happens but yesterday on another attempt it corrupted my whole system, when it boots i get LOT of errors of illegal operations and never boots to the desktop.

If i use a Voodoo card, AMD card, even the cheap ones(Like the S3 Trio) i can install the last drivers that their developers made, install them and no problem. But i cant do it with any nvidia card.

My specs are rn: P3 Slot1 600Mhz, 256Mb Ram, SB128, and an Geforce4 MX 4000(Also tried with geforce2 400 and 420)

Am i doing something wrong installing windows 98? Maybe the problem is me trying to install Directx 9.0c? Or maybe i should install first the drivers and then use the updater?. I dont know what to do, i dont think this happens to everyone trying to use an old nvidia card for windows 98 and retro gaming.

Comments

• edited July 2019

I heard that DX 9.0c was flaky on win98 (increased system instability, incomplete implementation). Mixing VxD and WDM drivers is also known for generating instability on 9x systems.

In any event not many games compatible with Windows 98 make use of DX9 so you should be fine with DX 8.1. The cards are really DX8 ones anyway.

Have you tried Windows 95, Me or 2000? I have always found win98 to be unstable and very picky with hardware compared to the other aformentioned OSes.

If differences in OS, DX and drivers don't really change anything then this could possibly be the result of hardware issues affecting all three cards.

• Didn't tried with those, only with XP and Windows 98(Always used the Second Edition of course).

Ill try tomorrow installing Directx 8.1(Or just leaving the 6.1 version that comes with the os)instead of the 9.0c(9.0c is the one that includes almost all auto patchers for windows 98SE).

• OKay, already tried twice. With the Directx 6.1 and with the update 8.1

If i use the last drivers(81.98) it literally corrupts my system and have to reinstall. If i use other version it kinda works but again lot of errors.

I dont know what to do. Something must be wrong because LOT of people use nvidia cards for their retro windows 98 build. Why i have so much problems no matter what nvidia card i try?

• This may help:

https://forum.winworldpc.com/discussion/11357/how-to-improve-the-stability-of-windows-9x

Try another type of win98se/me install media (except for select, the product key for that is unknown). The retail full version on here gave me trouble; the OS would corrupt after installing Office 2000.

• @win32 said:
    This may help:

https://forum.winworldpc.com/discussion/11357/how-to-improve-the-stability-of-windows-9x

Try another type of win98se/me install media (except for select, the product key for that is unknown). The retail full version on here gave me trouble; the OS would corrupt after installing Office 2000.

Literally, used that and worked instantly(I used drivers 61.76, that patch and Directx 8.1).

Thanks!!