How to update Windows XP machines nowadays?

I once saw that someone posted a message somewhere saying that the Windows XP Update website still loaded and worked if the computer was patched in a certain way, but I didn't understand the technical details. I also heard that Microsoft put out one last update that permanently ruined the Update service and prevented it from working or being restored.

With all this being said, what do I need to do to update Windows XP machines and how to I avoid the Update-breaking update? Or is it even possible to update them anymore?

Comments

• Do you want the released updates for regular Windows XP only (through 2014), or are you trying to install the security updates designed for POSReady 2009 as well (through 2019)?

• edited August 2019

Well previously I would install Internet Explorer 8 and Windows Update Agent 3.0, then connect to the internet via an Ethernet connection. I would then go to the Update website and start updating. I don't know the technical terms, but those are the updates I want. It would be even more convenient if there was just a downloadable all-updates-in-one package, but I'll take any way to get all the updates. Hopefully I don't have do manually download and install each one individually. I remember there were over 200 updates, hopefully that can better explain what I'm looking for.

• Why does every thread I post here die after the first response?

• Because, you're impatient?

Snide comment aside, sounds like you want the updates for the regular XP. As far as I know, the update server for XP is still online.

• @Bry89 said:
    Because, you're impatient?

Snide comment aside, sounds like you want the updates for the regular XP. As far as I know, the update server for XP is still online.

I'm sure you still can get those updates for XP, because if the activation server for Windows XP is still online, then the update server for the OS would also be active still... I think.

• It's been a while since I did updates on XP. You will need to be on SP3, and you may need a roots certificate update from blackwingcat. Then, go into the Internet settings and disable SSL 2.0 and enable SSL 3.0 and TLS 1.0, then try it.

• Sorry, there are a lot of other forums that I post on and the threads die after one response. I assumed this was one of them. When I say the threads die, I mean 5 months later they're still unanswered.

Anyways, mind pointing me in the direction of the roots certificate update and a tutorial on how to install it and disable those SSL things?

• edited August 2019

OK, for the root certificate update look here: http://www.w2k.flxsrv.org/wlu/wlu.htm

go to "Windows Legacy Update" and search for "root certificates". Then download the newest executable and run it.

For SSL/TLS, go into Internet Options (right-click IE icon, then properties), go to Advanced tab, scroll down to Security and there you go.

You may also be interested in Windows XP SP4 + post-SP4 update pack:

http://ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=133918#133918

• @goody_fyre11 said:
    Sorry, there are a lot of other forums that I post on and the threads die after one response. I assumed this was one of them. When I say the threads die, I mean 5 months later they're still unanswered.

Anyways, mind pointing me in the direction of the roots certificate update and a tutorial on how to install it and disable those SSL things?

Sometimes it just takes time for someone to answer questions or say something about your work. Remember, all forums have people who deal with a whole lot of other people all the time. One way or another, they always find time to reply to your stuff :)

And sure, you can make that kind of tutorial. I'm sure there could be people who would want to know how to do that kind of stuff.

• That root certificate website you linked is in Japanese. I can't read anything on the page.

Also, what about that update that breaks the Installer service? Can I avoid that somehow?

• edited August 2019

you just have to click "Windows Legacy Update" on the menu bar then put "root certificates" in the search field that will appear on the left.

That was the April 2019 update. To fix that, start -> run: regsvr32 MSI.DLL, then MSIHND.DLL and MSISIP.DLL

• Has anyone tested to see of any version of the old WSUS offline updater works?

• edited August 2019

Yeah the ESR 9.2.5 worked a few weeks ago and allowed me to download Vista and Server 2003 x86/XP x64 updates. I think I also downloaded XP x86 updates, but 2000 no longer works with WSUS though

• @goody_fyre11 said:
    That root certificate website you linked is in Japanese. I can't read anything on the page.

Also, what about that update that breaks the Installer service? Can I avoid that somehow?

There is a link in the menu bar at the top of the page that makes it English.

• edited September 2019

The link that makes the page English just refreshes the page without changing it to English.

Also there's no search bar where I could search for "root certificates". The words "root certificates" are nowhere on the page. I've spent a long time clicking everything on the page and nothing brings up anything with a search bar.

Here's before and after screenshots to show that it doesn't switch to English.
    Before:
    https://imgur.com/a/bmT19Gt

After:
    https://imgur.com/a/9XQHrcq

If I click on the "BlackWingCat's Windows Legacy Support" link at the top, I just get taken to another Japanese page with many Japanese sub-pages, no "English" button on any of these:
    https://imgur.com/a/XW6N2v0

Is it not allowed to put direct download links on this forum?

• I'm sorry. I meant to say "Legacy Windows Catalog".

His site blocks direct links.

• You have to click (on the English version) "Manual Update". That's where the search box is.

• Clicking on "Legacy Windows Catalog" brings up another page that's 100% Japanese, even when clicking on English. I also don't see any search boxes, only drop-down menus. But even those don't help me since most of the options in those drop-down menus stay in Japanese even when using the English option. Screenshot of the "English" Legacy Windows Catalog page:
    https://imgur.com/a/tTUVApQ

This would be incredibly easy if I was fluent in Japanese. Why hasn't someone made an English-only page using files from this site? I shouldn't have to learn a new language for this.

• Don't click on "Legacy Windows Catalog". Click on the first link that win32 gave you, then click English, then click "Manual Update" on the sidebar on the left.

• hmm. I didn't even know that blackwingcat had an English search option on his update site! If only the English options weren't so convoluted...

But still better than most of the English versions of municipal websites in Quebec in the 2000s. :p

• Okay, I'm at the English Manual Update page, and I found two dozen results for "root certificates". Which one do I need?

• Get the 2019/07 one, the latest revision.

• edited October 2019

It is nice to see Windows XP still getting updates despite being discontinued for over 5 years now. Is Windows XP basically immortal at this point? Was it so influental that it is refusing to die despite there being better OSes out there? If so then Windows 95 and 98 should also recieve updates.

• @Windows99SE said:
    It is nice to see Windows XP still getting updates despite being discontinued for over 5 years now. Is Windows XP basically immortal at this point? Was it so influental that it is refusing to die despite there being better OSes out there? If so then Windows 95 and 98 should also recieve updates.

XP is unique in that it was Microsoft's main OS for a very long time. Normally, we'd see OS releases every 3 years (95-98-XP), but then it was over 5 years before the next version (Vista) came out. Even then, everybody hated Vista and as a result stayed on XP even longer. That's 8 years of XP being a dominant force in the OS world, before people started to move away from it. That's a very long time, and a lot of computers. Many systems are still running it, including ATMs, cash registers, expensive medical and industrial equipment, etc.

• Okay, I have the root certificate application. It's an EXE file. So I get Windows XP set up for updates, disable SSL 2.0, enable SSL 3.0, run that EXE file, then start updating? What about that update that breaks the installer service - how do I fix that?

• @goody_fyre11 said:
    Okay, I have the root certificate application. It's an EXE file. So I get Windows XP set up for updates, disable SSL 2.0, enable SSL 3.0, run that EXE file, then start updating? What about that update that breaks the installer service - how do I fix that?

What would make you think that updating XP using that installer would break the service? It all works fine or me (with some exceptions). And yes, you might be correct, saying that you'd need to have the SSL settings disabled, I think.

• edited October 2019

With the April 2019 POSReady update for Windows XP, M$ forgot to register three of the Windows Installer DLLs, effectively rendering the service unusable until the user manually registered them.

To top it all off, it was going to be the last update for NT 5.x ever!

• edited October 2019

You said "run: regsvr32 MSI.DLL, then MSIHND.DLL and MSISIP.DLL". So I enter it into the Command Prompt like this?

run regsvr32 MSI.DLL
    run regsvr32 MSIHND.DLL
    run regsvr32 MSISIP.DLL

Or should I type it differently? I'm making a text document with detailed steps on exactly what to do, there's no way I'll be able to remember all of this.

• No "run", but the rest is good.

• @win32 said:
    With the April 2019 POSReady update for Windows XP, M$ forgot to register three of the Windows Installer DLLs, effectively rendering the service unusable until the user manually registered them.

To top it all off, it was going to be the last update for NT 5.x ever!

Yeah, those DLL files and other related files are needed to do all that good stuff with Windows. I guess that's why when you try to open a DLL or batch file, it says that it's not recommended because modifying it can damage your system.

Also, why would you address Microsoft's initials as "M$"? :p