How to update Windows XP machines nowadays?

2»

Comments

• edited October 2019

It's an expression of my feelings towards their greed in that merciless attempt to leave XP users high-and-dry.

We've had it good for way too long; but not long enough. :wink:

• @nick99nack said:

@Windows99SE said:
    It is nice to see Windows XP still getting updates despite being discontinued for over 5 years now. Is Windows XP basically immortal at this point? Was it so influental that it is refusing to die despite there being better OSes out there? If so then Windows 95 and 98 should also recieve updates.

Even then, everybody hated Vista and as a result stayed on XP even longer. That's 8 years of XP being a dominant force in the OS world, before people started to move away from it.

At that time, XP was still in support. Vista was crap (and was always), and Windows 7 afterwards became to norm. 5 years later, Microsoft stopped supporting Windows XP. And 5 more years later, Vista also lost support but no one gave a fucking shit. Windows 7 only has one more year left before all that remains is Windows above 7.
    2020. After 2020, Windows 7 will also cease support, which results in the Metro-shit UI OSes to remain as the only supported ones. And after all of this, Windows 10 will be the only to exist. We all know and ""love"" Windows 10, right? An OS known for eating up your resources to oblivion (when I installed Windows 10 after 8.1 it was so fucking slow so I just reverted back to 8.1) and tons of other things like blue screens of death and a browser that was also crap, but improved by 2%. You know what I am talking about. Edge. Oh and for the record, Windows XP lasted for just 12 years, which is the longest. And the fact that people continue to use it just amazes me. I mean, it's their choice. Not mine. I say it like I am endorsed by Microsoft to get people to try Windows 10 or something. But the truth is, I am not. So yeah.

• Okay, now I'm running into a new issue. I've done all the steps we've discussed so far, but when I try to go to the Windows Update website, it says "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage".

Normally it prompts me to install ActiveX, then the page loads. But it's not doing that. I've adjusted the Internet Options to propmt me to install ActiveX, but no prompt is appearing. Any ideas?

• edited October 2019

Makes sure you enable TLS in tools, internet settings, advanced. Also don’t attempt to use Microsoft update until after you’ve installs all of the windows update using windows update. There is something it doesn’t like about a fresh install of windows xp.

• A bit of a late response, but I derped. I forgot to install the driver for the ethernet adapter. I couldn't find the driver on the internet, however I'm using a USB wireless adapter and getting the driver through Windows Update. I don't think I'll need this post again, I have everything I need.

• There are slipstreamed ISO's around that have all the updates bundled in if that helps.

• @Windows99SE said:
    And the fact that people continue to use it just amazes me. I mean, it's their choice. Not mine.

Even though XP is as secure as a cheap plastic bag. Just makes me wonder how on earth are the minority able to hold on to it for this long (given that there's more and more security holes found every time, and cyber criminals love to keep attacking it to no end). If I wanted to go online under an obsolete OS, I'd rather have Windows 2000. And that's my choice.

• edited October 2019

@Bry89 said:

@Windows99SE said:
    And the fact that people continue to use it just amazes me. I mean, it's their choice. Not mine.

If I wanted to go online under an obsolete OS, I'd rather have Windows 2000. And that's my choice.

And you better have to make it modern-compatible, because fucking NOTHING supports Windows 2000 (excluding crap that was specifically made for Windows 2000 but come on, they dont work at all for modern so...) It's almost like Windows 2000 vanished into fricking thin air to remembered by no one but oldfags like us. I wonder why and how that is?

@Bry89 said:

@Windows99SE said:

(given that there's more and more security holes found every time, and cyber criminals love to keep attacking it to no end).

It doesn't mean XP is completely crap. The WannaCry virus infected alot of computers ranging from Windows 7 to Windows 10. So while Windows XP is vunerable to attacks, so are the modern counter-parts.

• That happened because Windows 2000 was replaced by XP 18 months after the former's release and its home edition was cancelled in favour of Windows Me. So it gained less traction than Vista in the mass market.

Nonetheless, we've got the extended kernel and core to provide with not only XP-level support, but allow some basic Vista/7 applications to run as well. Operation with > 4 GB of RAM is more stable than XP (but the same as Server 2003). I am using all of the XP-compatible browsers in Windows 2000!

And yes, 98% of WannaCry infections were on Windows 7; only about 0.1% were on Windows XP. Not bad for an OS that still had 5-9% of market share.

• @win32 said:
    And yes, 98% of WannaCry infections were on Windows 7; only about 0.1% were on Windows XP. Not bad for an OS that still had 5-9% of market share.

I thought XP infections were far greater, given that nearly every computer of the NHS ran on it. And yes, extended kernel ftw!

• Okay, now I have a new issue. These steps don't work on the 64-bit version of Windows XP. I can't find an Update Agent installer for the 64-bit version, and the 64-bit installer for Internet Explorer 8 says it's not compatible for some reason.

• edited December 2019

Have you installed any updates so far? Do you have SP2? Windows XP x64 Edition is a different animal than regular Windows XP. It's based on Server 2003 source code.

• I did a fresh install of it on a virtual machine. It's connected to the internet but the Windows Update website says an error, preventing any updates. I got around this on the 32-bit version by installing Internet Explorer 8 and installing the updated Windows Update Agent. But of course I can't do either of those things.

• I would suggest installing SP2 first: catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB914961

Then installing the Windows Update Agent: go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=100335

You may need some root certificate updates, but I would suggest starting with the above first and working from there. IE 6 can access Windows Update just fine.

• Aha, I couldn't find a 64-bit version of the Update Agent. Also the root certificates from the 32-bit setup installed fine.

• Been running nuthin' but XP 32 bit for over 2.5 decades at SP3...Only problem I ever had was a rootkit when I just happened to have A/V OFF, But a few hours reformatting-Reinstall then clean-clean...

Other than that only other time was when UPDATING! If your setup is working fine & doing what you want then NEVER UPDATE, EVER...That goes for anything...