MS-DOS 6.22

edited January 2019 in Product Comments

MS-DOS 6.22

WinWorld is an online museum dedicated to providing free and open access to one of the largest archives of abandonware software and information on the web.

Read the full story here

Comments

• What should I download to get MS DOS 6.22

• edited January 2019

This depends on your preferred language. Assuming "English" I recommend "Microsoft MS-DOS 6.22 Plus Enhanced Tools (3.5-1.44mb)", while all "Upgrade" versions require an already installed MS-DOS on your (real or virtual) hard disk.
    With a trick you may fool the "Upgrade" versions which usually do not allow you to install it on a blank HDD. For this you have to press and hold the "Shift" key on your keyboard while booting from the first floppy. Next step is "fdisk" to create a primary partition (if your HDD is complete empty), which requires a reboot afterwards. Keep the first floppy in the drive and boot while holding "Shift" again. Then run "sys c:" (without the quotes) from the command prompt and boot again from the first floppy, but this time WITHOUT pressing "Shift". Voila, the Setup will do the job now.

• From MS-DOS 6 upgrade (6.0 / 6.2 / 6.21 / 6.22) it is possible to installed on blanked HDD drive.

But you should make partition and make system boot from HDD that MSCdebug said.
    (If not SETUP.EXE reguse to install MS-DOS Upgrade on HDD)

I added install processing as screenshot.

https://forum.winworldpc.com/discussion/comment/150550#Comment_150550

https://forum.winworldpc.com/discussion/comment/150540#Comment_150540

https://forum.winworldpc.com/discussion/comment/150523#Comment_150523

https://forum.winworldpc.com/discussion/comment/150534#Comment_150534

• The 5.25 and 3.5 installation disks give me files with extensions like COMMAND.CO_ instead of COMMAND.COM when I extract them from the image. Is this my fault?

• edited February 2019

@Ibrahimarm

That is Not related with MS-DOS 6.22 but upgrade version of MS-DOS (or IBM PC-DOS) 5.xx

Previous DOS should be installed (DOS 2.11 or higher) to install upgrade version of it.
    So please do Not discuss on this thread but make another thread.

https://forum.winworldpc.com/discussion/11123/ms-dos-5-0#latest

• The problem is that I wasn't using the upgrade versions.

• Is there MS-DOS 6.22 Turkish version?

• Believe it or not, there is a way to upgrade from MS-DOS 5 to 6.22 using 1 CD and 4 floppy disks. Use three floppy disks to setup MS-DOS 5 and the Windows 98 First Edition Bootdisk to copy MSCDEX.EXE and OAKCDROM.SYS to the hard drive, then using edit, change the autoexec.bat to load the mscdex.exe on the hard drive and config.sys to load oakcdrom.sys to read the IDE CD drive in either Virtualbox or VMware Workstation (Fusion for Mac). After those are working, extract the files from the upgrade 6.22 floppies to a folder and put the files of the folder in an ISO and voila. You can upgrade to DOS 6.22 from a CD.

• If I wanted to run DOS on a new computer (not DOS box, straight up MS-DOS) how would I burn the ISO files? Windows 10 says the image files are not valid when i attempt to burn them to dvds (it was the only optical media i had) will the ISOs only burn to Floppy?

• All versions of DOS (MS-DOS, PC-DOS, DR-DOS, etc) could be only and exclusively be installed from floppies, never from CDs.

That being said it does not mean you couldn't put MS-DOS on a new system without floppy. Heck, it's even possible to do that using external USB CD if you system's BIOS supports that!

You would need to install MS-DOS on virtual system from virtual floppies first, but then you could make bootable CD (with MS-DOS and CD drivers) and transfer your DOS installation to the desired system (because, practically speaking, MS-DOS setup only unpacks files and puts them into "C:\DOS" directory). You could use "fdisk" and "sys" commands to make your HDD bootable, then just copy that directory from one computer to another. There are some DOSSHELL related games, though: https://jeffpar.github.io/kbarchive/kb/077/Q77624/

But all that requires deep understanding of DOS, floppies, CDs and so on... which kinda creates "chicken and egg" problem.

I would recommend to play with PCem for a bit (there you could have floppies of various sizes easily) and practice the whole installation procedure there (without wasting tons of CDs) before going to real vintage computer...

• If you want to upgrade MS-DOS but only have a OEM version ready, you will receive an error message that you may not use this version to upgrade an existing installation.

Do the following:
    1. Boot from the MS-DOS OEM diskette.
    2. Exit the Setup program, you'll end up on command line at drive A:.
    3. Do sys c: from here to overwrite the previous hidden DOS system files on harddisk with those from your newer OEM version.
    4. Launch setup again and install. The Setup program now assumes you want to reinstall DOS, which of course is allowed.

• DOS won't fit on standard floppy. Is there a fix for this? joel

• @bigjoel101 said:
    DOS won't fit on standard floppy. Is there a fix for this? joel

That depends. What size floppy are you using, and which download are you using? You need to provide details.

• When starting setup, select F7 to install to floppy. Depending on how big your floppy is will determine what you get on it.

Or do it manually. Format /s (then delete drvspace.bin if nothing is compressed) and then copy what you want to the floppy. Debug, format, fdisk, msd, whatever you like. 286 and newer might need himem. 386 needs emm386

• I downloaded the Microsoft MS-DOS 6.22 Plus Enhanced Tools (3.5) file and unzipped it. When I try to mount any of the img files, windows complains that they are corrupted. I checked several other packages and those img files also appear to be corrupted.

This is under Win 10 Pro 64-bit on a Dell Precision m4800.

Any suggestions?

(Aha! finally figured out to not use the "Leave a Comment" field on the download page!

• I don’t think windows supports mounting floppy images. You’ll need to use something like winimage to write them to a floppy, or use whatever virtual machine and the floppy mounting provided with that.

• @SomeGuy said:

@bigjoel101 said:

That depends. What size floppy are you using, and which download are you using? You need to provide details.

I'm using 3.5" floppy with 1.44mb. It says I need 17.5kb more room.

• @bigjoel101 said:

@SomeGuy said:

@bigjoel101 said:

I'm using 3.5" floppy with 1.44mb. It says I need 17.5kb more room.

It could be that you downloaded the wrong floppy size.

• Are you writing an image with image writing software or are you just trying to copy the file to the floppy. You must write the image with something like winimage.

• edited April 2020

Is there a version of MS-DOS 6.22 in English that isn't an upgrade and not even a VM file? I want to install it normally without any extra features.

• I think the version listed with Enhanced Tools is the standard OEM first time install disk set.

• @menage said:
    I think the version listed with Enhanced Tools is the standard OEM first time install disk set.

OK. Thanks for the help!

• @Netcliff Have you not checked the "Version" Column? You will know which is the "6.22" version.
  • @SButzbach07
    I am Netcliff, I am searching for a english standard version. And every version is 6.22 but there are no english ones that don't include the enhanced tools.
  • There is no such product as the 'standard version' of MSDOS 6.xx. The closest you can replicate it, is to install DOS with no optional extras (ie the enhanced tools).

The upgrade is sold as a bundle that includes DOS 6.xx along with a number of enhanced tools. The base has to be labeled as two seperate products, because it's sold that way. IBM only bought the DOS, and applied a different set of enhanced tools. The others had little choice.

But to maintain this fait, they had to sell base editions as a combination of two separate products. From what I recall, Microsoft offered IBM the QBasic product at 15$ a copy. IBM already had an inhouse editor E, which they polished up and included in PC-DOS.

So, the OEMs were provided with the base = retail upgrade, to which they could negotiate dropping the 'enhanced tools' at extra cost. Only IBM had the muscle and the legals to do something different.
  • When you save these files to USB flash drive, why does it not boot properly? I want to boot my USB flash drive to MS-DOS. I made my USB drive bootable and saved the MS-DOS files on the USB drive and it still doesn't work.
  • MS-DOS 6.22 does not support fat32. You might have to get some tiny version or repartition the disk. I've currently sourced some 10 usb flash-drives of some 16 MB (ie cl. 24) for my dos experiments.
  • Hi, I'm looking for ms-dos 6.22 update version on 4 floppy disks in Italian, can you help me please? I need it to restore old original floppy disk.
    on the site there is only the clean installation version and no update in Italian.

Thank you

Salve, sto cercando ms-dos 6.22 versione aggiornamento su 4 floppy disk in italiano, potete aiutarmi per favore? mi serve per restaurare dei vecchi floppy disk originali.
    sul sito c'è solo la versione installazione pulita e non aggiornamento in italiano.

Grazie
  • Would anyone be able to let me know if this works on QEMU? Thanks.
  • Hello, I have a device which boots Datalight ROM-DOS v6.22. I've setup a VM on Win10 which runs FreeDOS 1.1 so that I can compile C programs that run on the Datalight ROM-DOS. The only interface I have is a COM at 115200. Also the Datalight is limited to 10Mb max, 2Mb internal and 8Mb on a PCMCIA ATA card. I want to go to the next step to give the Datalight device more life. My theory is to build a PCMCIA card of my own with two 8Mb memory chips and a controller to switch a bus between them. So one way the PCMCIA interface to the Datalight is Memory (or 8Mb ATA Drive) "A" and a USB interface bus to Memory "B". Then it could flip vice versa. The trick is a flag each side could use for "done or ready-to-flip - when both flags are set, the control on the PCMCIA card would flip the memories and reset the flags. All sorts of ways to do this on the USB bus, but what on the old DOS could my C program use to set a flag on the PCMCIA card? I've been looking for documentation on the PCMATA.SYS or PCMSS400.EXE or PCMCS.EXE where maybe there is an eject or other signal the old DOS could send to the PCMCIA card.